I don't think I'll be able to buy anything after Mrs. Noodles gets hold of the finances.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:36 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 81post #1201 of 374052/4/14 at 8:41ampost #1202 of 374052/4/14 at 8:44ampost #1203 of 374052/4/14 at 8:49ampost #1204 of 374052/4/14 at 8:59amQuote:
a black overcoat with a gray suit is excellent imo. especially with a velvet collar. want one so bad. though to go really awesome id say a black with white herringbone overcoat with velvet collar would just be kick ass amazing.
but if its a nice coat, and you dont feel like having multiple coats for multiple suits, which is fine, i only have one dress top coat, you are fine over a navy suit, and no you dont need to jake your jacket off, the idea is to be warm. coats have more utilitarian leeway than suits.
been there. nothing wrong with getting rid of everything you own. i did, but do it carefully and slowly, from what i have seen from you, not everything needs to go.Quote:
STAY AWAY FROM THE SHINE!!! STAY VERY FAR AWAY!!!!!post #1205 of 374052/4/14 at 9:11amThread Starter
I like it. But it is far from a staple (single breasted peak lapel...and slightly oversized as far as single breasted lapels go). That's the kind of thing you wear twice a month, max.
Instead, something like these:
Both have patch pockets, are of a slightly rougher weave, and one has brighter buttons--all features distinguishing these as odd jackets and not orphans.
Edited by Claghorn - 2/4/14 at 9:25ampost #1206 of 374052/4/14 at 9:12amI'd own two overcoats, if possible - a navy double breasted to go over my gray and and other non-navy suits, and a lighter gray shade to go over my navy suits.
Nothing wrong with what In Stitches recommended, either. They all fall under that timeless, classic look umbrella - just a matter of the smaller personal preferences.post #1207 of 374052/4/14 at 9:30amQuote:
Yeah, I don't know that it would be more than a "friday" jacket for me but I'm strangely attracted to peak lapels. But for realistic weekly use I agree with the ones you posted. Which leads me to my next question, how is an orphan jacket determined vs. If I just wore my suit jacket from one of my suits. To me the two jackets you posted could very well be a part of a suit and I couldn't tell. Are they from SS?post #1208 of 374052/4/14 at 9:35amFlap pockets and no fabric texture are two good starting points for deciding a jacket was probably the top half of a suit.
You'll also notice the buttons on the two posted SC's aren't just regular blue or black buttons - another sign it was more meant to be a SC in addition to having patch pockets and a textured fabric.
Plain navy worsted wool isn't really ever designed to be something aside from a suit. Ditto plain silk.
After a while you just sorta know from muscle memory without always being able to articulate why something is a waste of time.
The dual role this thread has assumed is an interesting one.post #1209 of 374052/4/14 at 9:40am
Well, I suppose it will always be about Rudals/Noodles (at least for 1 more year if Claghorn is right), but it's sort of nice as a venue for someone who wants more large scale changes to come and have people weigh in. That also provides a nice way for people to talk about topics, with an eye towards lending practical advice. I've enjoyed reading it.
I have noticed on Yoox many SCs with jetted pockets which seems to me just odd. I'm inclined to avoid those.
JR, agree with what TM79 said, who put it very nicely.
Edited by TweedyProf - 2/4/14 at 10:10ampost #1210 of 374052/4/14 at 9:42am
By the way I just wanted to take a moment and thank you guys. I'm sure this has been covered on a broader basis and in other threads but I really do appreciate the personal attention and time that all of you have given to myself and I'm sure Noodles shares that sentiment. When I do strike it rich I'll keep this in mind In them mean time any time any of you make it to Chicago let me know and a few rounds are on me. If you're not a drinker than we'll hit up some local food joints or something. I just realized I haven't had a drink in 6 weeks....not like I don't drink I just have cut back quite a bit.post #1211 of 374052/4/14 at 9:57amQuote:
Oh yeah, I actually meant it in a nice and sincere way - not an offhand one as you occasionally see in different threads here.post #1212 of 374052/4/14 at 10:00ampost #1213 of 374052/4/14 at 10:01ampost #1214 of 374052/4/14 at 10:03ampost #1215 of 374052/4/14 at 10:09am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 30 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › New Tie - What to wear with it? 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 9 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...