or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 797

post #11941 of 37395
It is one of my favourite ties.
There is the shantung version and "regular" version (what I have).
Edited by The Noodles - 9/18/14 at 10:19am
post #11942 of 37395
Hey RTC, speaking from personal experience, dressing for a medical school interview and dressing based on SF-standards won't always coincide with one another completely.

My advice:

Picture #1 - the first and the third
Picture #2 - first
Picture #3 - first
Picture #4 - second

These ties would not be my first choices, but if this is what you must choose from, those are the ties I would go with. During my medical school interviews most guys I saw wore black or navy suits with a white shirt and a reddish tie. Most of interviewees looked sloppy (ill fitting suits, bad shirt collars, horrible shoes) but a lot of times they're the ones that get first admittance! Good luck to killing the interviews!
post #11943 of 37395

I feel like asking this here was going to be as good as it was bad haha.


These are two other ones I was thinking of buying, however the navy gren just got sold. What about the other one?
 

 

 

post #11944 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms340 View Post

Hey RTC, speaking from personal experience, dressing for a medical school interview and dressing based on SF-standards won't always coincide with one another completely.

My advice:

Picture #1 - the first and the third
Picture #2 - first
Picture #3 - first
Picture #4 - second

These ties would not be my first choices, but if this is what you must choose from, those are the ties I would go with. During my medical school interviews most guys I saw wore black or navy suits with a white shirt and a reddish tie. Most of interviewees looked sloppy (ill fitting suits, bad shirt collars, horrible shoes) but a lot of times they're the ones that get first admittance! Good luck to killing the interviews!

 

What would your first choices look like?

 

I was thinking of picking up a burgundy knit/gren if I could find one that wasn't too pricey (also scouring ebay). 

post #11945 of 37395

isn't that Sam Hober???

post #11946 of 37395
I would suggest a solid, neat, or repp (with as few colors as possible with thicker stripes) in a blue, burgundy or green. The repps you posted had 3+ colors and thin stripes. I do like the last repp you posted thats navy/red/white, even if the stripes are some what thin. Also, I understand not wanting to spend a lot for the tie. Tuition is a b*tch.

Edit: I would probably stay away from a knit. Even if it is solid, I think the square bottom is not as common to most people and can come across as distracting.
post #11947 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I feel like asking this here was going to be as good as it was bad haha.


These are two other ones I was thinking of buying, however the navy gren just got sold. What about the other one?

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






Kop now.
post #11948 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

RTC

Image 1 - Do not like any.

Image 2 - Far left stripe ok for interview, far right ok to own, but am not enamored with either.

Image 3 - Same as image 2 with the exception that I dont hate the middle tie as much as I do the one in image 2.

Image 4 - Second from left is the only one I dont hate and its ok for an interview.

Sorry to be so hateful, but I think its a pretty weak selection as far as nice ties go. Thankfully, you are in the right place to change that, if you so desire. I know that your personal tastes are often not inline with mine, and also often not really in line with what most SFers like, so if you love those tie, thats your call, but imo, and in what I would think would be most SFers opinions, and if you want to improve by those standards, Id pretty much start fresh if I was you.

 

I didn't say they were my best ties. I said they were the ones I thought most suitable for interviews. I have a neat kiton I really like, but it has a bit of a satin feel and sheen to it and I don't think shiny works all that well here. 

 

Regarding the rest of your statement. I really don't feel like getting into this right now. I will say though, that I have decided to spend money outside of a hobby for clothes that I never wear. I rarely wear suits...ever and haven't really been wearing ties much either. I touched ties for the first time in 3 weeks when i took all of these out. 

I know your opinions are strong, as are your convictions, but for now I'm content appreciating menswear from a distance and learning for when I am in a situation that better merits use of that knowledge.

 

To be fair, I wouldn't rebuy more than half the ties I currently own, but it is what it is. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms340 View Post

I would suggest a solid, neat, or repp (with as few colors as possible with thicker stripes) in a blue, burgundy or green. The repps you posted had 3+ colors and thin stripes. I do like the last repp you posted thats navy/red/white, even if the stripes are some what thin. Also, I understand not wanting to spend a lot for the tie. Tuition is a b*tch.

Edit: I would probably stay away from a knit. Even if it is solid, I think the square bottom is not as common to most people and can come across as distracting.

 

What about the blue/green repp on the left here:

 

(honestly speaking, I wasn't drawn to that at all!)

 

Re: knit. I was thinking a burgundy grenadine with a 'regular' blade.

 

Would you think that pindots would be a good pick?

 

Something like these:

 

post #11949 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


Kop now.

 

The blue knit is gone. You're referring to the grey one I take it? It's definitely more soporific, no? Fine for use with navy and light blue shirt?

 

And see, this is a purchase I was contemplating all by myself. Damn it stitch, you magnificent bastard, you've rubbed off on me!

post #11950 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

The blue knit is gone. You're referring to the grey one I take it? It's definitely more soporific, no? Fine for use with navy and light blue shirt?
And see, this is a purchase I was contemplating all by myself. Damn it stitch, you magnificent bastard, you've rubbed off on me!

smile.gif

They are both great, sucks that the stripe is gone. The gray will be excellent with a navy suit and blue shirt. The pin dots above are also vurr nice. Dive in to the rabbit hole.
post #11951 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


smile.gif

They are both great, sucks that the stripe is gone. The gray will be excellent with a navy suit and blue shirt. The pin dots above are also vurr nice. Dive in to the rabbit hole.

 

Thanks d00d. I think the green pindot would go well with the navy suit and white TV fold. 

I think you'll like this getup btw :P

post #11952 of 37395
RTC, I have a navy/white pindot from RL that I never wear. If you don't want to spend any money and could use it, just let me know. Happy to help a college kid.
post #11953 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Thanks d00d. I think the green pindot would go well with the navy suit and white TV fold. 


I think you'll like this getup btw :P

Looking forward!

Take up Murl on his offer btw. smile.gif
post #11954 of 37395
Honestly those last few you posted are great. Even that repp, although it might look a bit washed out against the navy suit you plan on wearing, I think it's a good sedate look. I dig the burgundy gren idea and the green pin dot.
post #11955 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

RTC, I have a navy/white pindot from RL that I never wear. If you don't want to spend any money and could use it, just let me know. Happy to help a college kid.

Now that's some serious GNAT spirit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)