It's not you, it's me. SF seems to have converged on the "if one thing loud, everything else solid navy" method of using loud items, I just don't like it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:10 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 776post #11626 of 374289/10/14 at 5:51ampost #11627 of 374289/10/14 at 5:52amQuote:
Like 20 ties is a very respectable rotation. But, show us a group shot and I will personally recommend ten more. Promise.post #11628 of 374289/10/14 at 5:53ampost #11629 of 374289/10/14 at 5:54ampost #11630 of 374289/10/14 at 6:10ampost #11631 of 374289/10/14 at 6:15am
There is no way to predict thumbs, it's not even worth thinking about. Just do what you want to do, and the thumbs will either come or they won't.Quote:
To me, it's not about loud with loud or not, it's more about scale. A loud tie can work with loud other items, as long as the scale is coherent, imho. Obviously color and texture have to be coherent as well.post #11632 of 374289/10/14 at 6:16ampost #11633 of 374289/10/14 at 6:19amQuote:
I think it has merit, I think that it has probably prevented people from putting together some pretty miserable combinations, but like most things the get said here, they become mantra and people start to preach things like they are the only way.Quote:
You need one in navy.post #11634 of 374289/10/14 at 6:21ampost #11635 of 374289/10/14 at 6:28amLawlz. I mean though, who doesn't want to wear certain loud items? Whether it is a gun club, or other type of check jacket, and well...... that's really all I can think of that's loud that I have any interest in wearing. I may have a few ties the lean towards loud, but I don't think I have any that are truly loud.post #11636 of 374289/10/14 at 6:43amQuote:Originally Posted by in stitches
Lawlz. I mean though, who doesn't want to wear certain loud items? Whether it is a gun club, or other type of check jacket, and well...... that's really all I can think of that's loud that I have any interest in wearing. I may have a few ties the lean towards loud, but I don't think I have any that are truly loud.
Right but this is the tension with those kinds of outfits. It says, "I saw this on the rack and really liked it! Look at how awesome it is even though I don't really know how to wear it and/or have the items necessary to wear it well! I will just 'feature' it today with my navy suit that will really make it 'pop'!"
Sometimes you have to realize that even though you think something is crazy awesome looking, you just don't have the style or wardrobe to wear it (unless you decide to get more items to wear with it).post #11637 of 374289/10/14 at 6:47amThis is true. And it is a very important lesson to learn when something is just a really cool item, but you are probably better off not buying it.
As an aside, perhaps this is a difference between ties and sport coats, but I think that a loud check sportcoat looks fantastic with nothing but a solid shirt, tie, and pants.post #11638 of 374289/10/14 at 7:23amQuote:
Loud SC is def better than a loud tie with normal other stuff. But still I think best way to wear a loud SC is balanced by other elements. Block stripe ties are good for this IMHO.post #11639 of 374289/10/14 at 7:23amQuote:Originally Posted by in stitches
This is true. And it is a very important lesson to learn when something is just a really cool item, but you are probably better off not buying it.
As an aside, perhaps this is a difference between ties and sport coats, but I think that a loud check sportcoat looks fantastic with nothing but a solid shirt, tie, and pants.
Or you buy it realizing that there are maybe 1-2 coherent fits it can be worn in until your wardrobe expands somewhat.
I think I agree with you that loud SC's are easier than loud ties.post #11640 of 374289/10/14 at 7:25amLuca knows what's up:Quote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
DI: You're wearing a very distinctive shirt, with a wide stripe. Do you enjoy wearing unique and bold patterns?
LR: In this case, this suit is very powerful. So if I wore a light blue or white shirt, I would be giving all the power to the suit. To make the suit less powerful, I have to have something underneath it that is also powerful. Everything combines together. I love contrast - you will never see me matching colors, because I think it's too simple.
Photo credit: Neil Watson at A&H Magazine.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 1 minute ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 3 minutes ago
- › CARMINA 2 eye brown calf derby Skoaktiebolaget 10.5 UK BNIB Rare... 8 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 minutes ago
- › The Film thread 14 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 18 minutes ago
- › JOHN LOBB 11E Bordor (like EG Dovers) tried on once like new w bags... 28 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 35 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 36 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 36 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...