or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 767

post #11491 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post


Wise words. Thank God for Banana, Jcrew, Zara and H&M

Handbag on the other hand.....Let's just forget that topic. biggrin.gif

Yes, let's not even start that. I already lost at least 2 Formosa suits on a purse and a wallet. :censored:

post #11492 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

People actually wear AE shoes? :/

 

If they gave you a special discount, you'd mail your dick to Port Washington and you know it. :)

post #11493 of 37396

:fu: 

post #11494 of 37396
I'm bipolar, so I actually bug my partner to let me buy things for them. Keep ebaying shoes for them.
post #11495 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

No, I actually buy mine to stare at them.

I am sorry to hear that.
post #11496 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

 

 

I am glad those LV bags don't go out of trend. :eek: 

But don't they? Not the brand but the kind?

 

That said, I never understood bags with LV written all over them. Why not just get it tattooed on your forehead and be done with it?

 

Ugh, I'm breaking my self-imposed SF-blackout during the term...back to work....

post #11497 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

But don't they? Not the brand but the kind?

 

That said, I never understood bags with LV written all over them. Why not just get it tattooed on your forehead and be done with it?

 

Ugh, I'm breaking my self-imposed SF-blackout during the term...back to work....


No. Live tweet fashion trends you see on campus. Gogogo.

post #11498 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

But don't they? Not the brand but the kind?

 

That said, I never understood bags with LV written all over them. Why not just get it tattooed on your forehead and be done with it?

 

Ugh, I'm breaking my self-imposed SF-blackout during the term...back to work....

 

The uncharitable theory is that the more obvious the logo, the more it appeals to a certain kind of customer (it's not enough for it to be "LV", everyone has to see that it's "LV"....).  But a more pragmatic explanation is this: it's extremely difficult to copyright a design.  But to copyright a logo is easy.  Therefore if your design happens to have your copyrighted logo all over it, it's much easier to have fakes withdrawn from sale and go after their suppliers, than if they are just making something that they claim is coincidentally like yours, or even just inspired by it.

post #11499 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

Pleats are simply a tailoring technique of shaping a trouser and adding extra material in the right place. It has nothing to do with fabric or formality. You can wear pleated cords or linen trousers without a jacket or a dinner suit with pleats, it's all equally appropriate.

I understand that this may be true in theory, but taken to its logical conclusion your argument would seem to advocate for pleated denim being an acceptable option and that just seems completely cringeworthy to me. I mentioned corduroys and moleskins as an example of where pleats are probably not a great plan because to me they are slightly dressier versions of jeans and it makes sense to treat them similarly. Perhaps its a psychological hang-up and I am the only one who has it.
post #11500 of 37396
I sent my wife to Carmina while in Paris recently as that seemed like a good balance of style that would appeal and fundamental quality. She did find some things that appealed (mainly boots) but at the end of the day most women's shoes are built differently (cemented etc) for aesthetic reasons so the quality won't be there in the same way.
post #11501 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The uncharitable theory is that the more obvious the logo, the more it appeals to a certain kind of customer (it's not enough for it to be "LV", everyone has to see that it's "LV"....).  But a more pragmatic explanation is this: it's extremely difficult to copyright a design.  But to copyright a logo is easy.  Therefore if your design happens to have your copyrighted logo all over it, it's much easier to have fakes withdrawn from sale and go after their suppliers, than if they are just making something that they claim is coincidentally like yours, or even just inspired by it.

I know SF has discussed these things before. Something about there being a formula regarding over branded entry level luxury products, while the higher tier luxury products adopt an almost secretive branding practice. It seems true, at least as far as handbags are concerned. The entry level stuff is always heavily branded, while the higher priced stuff is more brand reserved...
post #11502 of 37396
Thread Starter 

I would like Mrs. C to own some Meermin. But all she wants are Toms and knee boots.

post #11503 of 37396
Help me select buttons for a Navy Blazer Project


1. Aubergine Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
2. Dark Brown Horn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
3. Coffee Brown Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
4. Red Brown Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
5. Tiger Brown Horn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
post #11504 of 37396

I vote for coffee.

post #11505 of 37396
:lurk:

Edited by The Noodles - 9/8/14 at 12:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)