Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:01 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 766post #11477 of 373659/8/14 at 7:43ampost #11478 of 373659/8/14 at 7:56amRe: the pleats conversation, if I experiment with pleats it will likely be on a suit or pair of grey flannels that will most often be worn with a jacket. Jeans should not be pleated and I personally find the look of pleated corduroys or moleskins to be rather odd and discordant, but I think you could get away with pleated linen trousers / khakis and even dressier trousers that you plan to wear sans jacket.post #11479 of 373659/8/14 at 8:25ampost #11480 of 373659/8/14 at 8:39amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
I'd say you could wear any of navy, merlot or brown grain with chinos or jeans and enjoy them. The merlot or brown grain would work with a wider variety of colours though, I think, and if you're wearing denim then they will contrast nicely. The navy I'd see working best with khakis. But so would the others. Basically the navy is the most novel, but because of that, the least versatile.
Personally I was interested in the navy in a more formal make up - single dark sole, blind eyelets, etc, in which I think it would fly pretty well with grey flannels etc. for an interesting twist on the business casual. The current make up is casual casual, and I have a casual blue shoe already inbound.
(I think this answers your PM too!)Quote:Originally Posted by losrockets
@ridethecliche I don't know what you mean by grain being totally informal. I wish it had blind eyelets and then speedhooks but I still plan on wearing them in the hospital on rainy days with wool trousers, that's what I'm buying them for. They won't work under sleek worsted wool trousers with a worsted navy blazer but for more rugged business-casual days like foul weather accounts for, I think they'll do the job. Remember, you're entering the medical field - as long as you're not on rollerskates you'll be okay in most healthcare settings. If you can afford to buy two, I'd just get the cordovan ones instead. If you don't want them because of the mini lug sole, get merlot and grain options.Quote:Originally Posted by New Shoes1
RTC, I've been going through similar debate and ended up deciding I can't pick just one boot to run the gamut from jeans/casual to suits. IMO, the brown grain is perfect with jeans and chinos and can work just fine with more casual trousers and jackets. I question how the brown grain will look as you move more to the right on the formality scale. I've also been looking at a pair of burgundy shell boots and see them working great on the dressier side and just being alright with jeans and more casual fare. So, I would get the one that works best for you now and start saving for the second pair.
On a somewhat related note, I would not participate in that GMTO without being fairly certain the 2 last works for you. Having participated in that thread for a few years, I can say there are very few people that have the long and narrow foot the 2 last is made for. Every year, there is a huge surge of 2 last MTO's or sale-inspired purchases followed one month later by people complaining that their shoe is defective because it has excessive creasing and other wear problems that were caused by buying a shoe that is way too long in order to get the width right.
Mimo, lr, and NS1:
Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it!
I just bought the amok in tan suede so I have a relatively nice casual boot that will go well with jeans and even chinos. So the grain leather doesn't really fill any void. I have a black chelsea boot and two beater pairs of merlot-esque boots that are my winter shit eaters. They're salt damaged and the leather is ripping, but they're what I'll reach for when it's gross out. I'll change in the office if I have to. Walking around in boston in the winter on a sloppy day with nice shoes on is asking for them to get completely obliterated by salt damage.
The merlot would be awesome and would probably bridge the gap between a casual and formal shoe. I'm sure I could get away with wearing it with suits, but I rarely wear suits (i.e. a few times a year) so it's really not something I have to think about right now. The navy is more of a novelty really, but I like zany things so it could be cool and I'm sure I'd work it into my rotation in the F/W/S because it's attention getting.
I actually have a pair of walnut daltons as well and I've come to realize that they just don't fit all that great. I'm going to try putting a tongue pad in them, but if that doesn't work I think I'll just have a new topy and heel put on and sell them. I should get back most of what I paid I think.
As far as the sizing issues that @New Shoes1 points out, I'd go try on a pair of EC's at a store before ordering. The amoks are supposed to be really narrow but the 8E's fit me relatively well. The heel just hurts my feet, but I'll probably throw a pad in for that. Not sure why they put that weird divot/cup there.post #11481 of 373659/8/14 at 8:55am
Goooooooooooooooooood morning Noodlers!!!
Anyhow, I know menswear don't translate apples to apples to the ladies but when my wife wanted to get a pair of boots from jcrew, I had to stop her as it seemed like throwing away our money, I'd rather put up some more money for something that will last longer. So I recommended C&Js and this is what she picked out. Y'all with wives, do you just leave your wives to shop wherever or do any of you do something like this from time to time?
Edited by The Noodles - 9/8/14 at 9:35ampost #11482 of 373659/8/14 at 8:57am
Noodles, some of the jcrew stuff is actually pretty decent. I mean they collab with alden for a bunch of mens stuff. I think it's probably better quality than a lot of shoes women buy given that shoes are more 'accessories' for women than anything else. Well, not compared to some guys here I suppose.
No, I actually buy mine to stare at them.
Edited by ridethecliche - 9/8/14 at 9:15ampost #11483 of 373659/8/14 at 9:00ampost #11484 of 373659/8/14 at 9:03ampost #11485 of 373659/8/14 at 9:06ampost #11486 of 373659/8/14 at 9:10ampost #11487 of 373659/8/14 at 9:17ampost #11488 of 373659/8/14 at 9:18ampost #11489 of 373659/8/14 at 9:29am
Ah. Thank you gentlemen.
I have a better understanding of Women's fashion. I need to stop thinking like I am buying for myself when I am out shopping with her. I consider quality more important than appearance.
I am glad those LV bags don't go out of trend.post #11490 of 373659/8/14 at 9:30am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 13 seconds ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 50 seconds ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 1 minute ago
- › Over the Shoulders, Under the Knees: Long Coats 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Kiton MTM Shirtz Kopz in NYC 3 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › HARLEY OF SCOTLAND FOR UNIONMADE-SHETLAND CREW NECK SWEATER IN... 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...