Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:08 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 735post #11012 of 374978/28/14 at 7:08pm
Yeah, I totally forgot to mention the pru slash top of the hub. I can't give much in the name of fancy food recs given that I don't eat at those places often, if ever. I did tell him to go to the daily catch for seafood though. Eastern standard has amazing food, so that's a great rec. O Ya sounds way above my pay grade hahaha.
I did recommend the isabella stewart gardner museum over the MFA. His wife wants to check out Harvard Yard and I told him to go to Russell house, Park, or Alden and Harlow while he was there for food/libation.
I also recommended going to the beehive for the unique atmosphere. If you like jazz, you should spend an evening at Wallys, but get there early. That place is the fucking best.
Let us know if you guys want to meet up. I'm hoping to get a drink with the noodle-meister and it'd be cool if a few other boston peepz showed up as well and if we kept it small-ish!post #11013 of 374978/28/14 at 8:01pmQuote:
Highly doubt it for what we have planned.Quote:
The Westin will be awesome.post #11014 of 374978/28/14 at 8:02pmpost #11015 of 374978/28/14 at 8:51pmpost #11016 of 374978/28/14 at 8:52pm
I really want to get a black db suit.
You know how people say black can be okay but charcoal is just better? I feel like it's the reverse for my complexion/hair. If I don't want a very dark color, I might as well go with mid gray or a lighter navy, and if I do, I might as well go all the way. I can't see any situation with my east Asian complexion where charcoal is better than black. I know that's opposite the general SF party line. Thoughts? Noodles, what do you think? I haven't seen you in black before so I suppose you don't like it much?
I do get that there are bad connotations with a black suit especially a boring cut and bad fit, but after I dial in my fit with my tailor, I feel like a slim cut DB would not be categorized in that same way, certainly I won't look like a waiter I don't think.
And before it is questioned, I will have some more versatile suits already in my wardrobe. I will have:
Dark Navy Glen Plaid (summer weight)
Mid Gray Glen Plaid (summer weight)
Black Super 140 SB (my wedding suit)
Mid Gray SB 1 btn (one of my earlier suits a bit casual but whatever)
Gray DB Flannel
Dark French Blue DB Flannel
Gray Charcoal Pinstripe DB
Planning for my next trip on getting a 14oz blue check sb suit, and a chalkstripe flannel, and for the third I am considering a 14 oz black twill blazer-suit from Dugdale for a db suit. Thought a heavier black suit to cover the colder days would be alright. I guess I can be convinced to just get it as charcoal as well..
Also crosspost my fabrics arriving!post #11017 of 374978/28/14 at 9:06pmpost #11018 of 374978/28/14 at 9:09pmpost #11019 of 374978/28/14 at 9:12pm
Got to channel my inner secret agent, I guess?
I'll be honest I actually started wearing suits because people actually mistake me for a wealthy billionaire/son-of-billionaire type person at poker. It works surprisingly well. That said you can wear a cheap polyester suit and still fool most people in casinos, so at this point I'm just getting nicer suits because I'm vain at this point. After all it's a place that attracts the lowest common denominator.
But yeah I feel like my situation makes me one of those exceptions where it can be okay, not to mention I'll be wearing it in the evening onwards, too.post #11020 of 374978/28/14 at 9:15pmpost #11021 of 374978/28/14 at 9:17pm@isolation, you have some good suits already. It seems from your list that you do not yet have a solid navy SB suit. I would definitely get this before a black DB suit, which is really not at all versatile. Heck, you already have a black SB suit that should work for when you decide you want to wear a black suit. There are a bunch of threads on this, but the biggest problems with black suits are (1) they look really stark and harsh during daylight and (2) they combine effectively with very few shirt and tie combinations. I can't comment on the complexion thing from personal experience, but I can tell you how the things look during daytime. Lastly, I would not do black as a blazersuit. The color suggests formality and it will just look odd with the modifications needed (patch pockets, etc.) to not make it look orphaned.
On another note, I notice that you have / are acquiring a number of suits with checks. While they can be very elegant, they are also more memorable and less versatile. You have some cool stuff, but I'd really try to focus on solids more. I'd go with a solid navy in the 13-14 ounce range in place of your first suit. I really can't say anything bad about chalkstripe flannels even though they are not the most versatile, so maybe stick with that. For the final suit, I'd get something in grey over black (or perhaps a solid grey or navy suit in a summer appropriate fabric since you don't seem to have any summer weight solids). If you prefer medium grey to charcoal, you can do that too. In a vast majority of cases, the two serve the same purpose. Charcoal is just a bit more formal and somber.post #11022 of 374978/28/14 at 9:22pm
Yeah I might go with more mid gray. And like I said my situation means I don't go out in daylight much, I pretty much wake up at 5pm except weekends or days off where I am dressed casually.
I was going to get a blue sb suit, but I wanted to get it in a mohair blend. Maybe that's a bit too fancy.
I have a bunch of blue sb jackets, but they are linen or tweed, and since I already have blue db blazers as well as a sb blue check suit (it's a faint check, too), I thought the gap of an sb solid navy suit is not too big of a deal, especially as I don't really need a full rotation of conservative clothes.post #11023 of 374978/28/14 at 9:27pm
Get the basics down, grow on from there. I honestly suggest you try to work what you already have in rotation and lurk in WAYWRN to get a feel for things you like.
My tastes have changed drastically since I first started posting here. I'm lucky I didn't blow tons of cash on stuff only to realize I didn't really like it. This is a long game, you can take your time. The stuff isn't going anywhere.post #11024 of 374978/28/14 at 9:28pmpost #11025 of 374978/28/14 at 9:39pmQuote:
If you must do either, I'd go with jeans. At least the denim will have a clear texture difference.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 55 seconds ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 6 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 11 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 12 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 15 minutes ago
- › ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central 15 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 19 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...