or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Preppy Style has been taken away from the Preps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Preppy Style has been taken away from the Preps - Page 2

post #16 of 63
Thread Starter 

Well, it was posted last year...so perhaps it could still win last year's thread of the year award.

 

Prep is such a thing that those who are Prep are loathe to see it being commercialized. The faux nature of the glossy families and young men and women all wearing a brand of clothes, made in Bangladesh by folks who would appreciate a basic state education and clean water for their children, and hocked off to members of the aspiractional classes (and unsuspecting preps) is quite odd. Perhaps it was always thus, and we never knew. But In This Small World In Which We Live and the Search Engine Age, people Now Know These Things.

 

They've taking something special away, and mis-appropriated it for the benefit of some fashion label owned by a private equity company (which in turn is probably run and staffed by a bunch of my old friends from prep school).

 

Trail of Prep Tears.

post #17 of 63
Think yourself lucky, when the French decided to get rid of the privileged they chopped off their heads........

The greatest form of flattery is imitation, stop being so precious about something you don't own and ultimately you have done nothing for to attain
post #18 of 63
Most Preppy Trait: Buying block colour clothes that stand the test of time, and hiding their familial wealth.

Least Preppy Trait: Whining that the kids are robbing you of your authenticity.
post #19 of 63
Thread Starter 

Writing about Prep doesnt make me any more Prep, or any less Prep, in fact, I have one of the most no-nonsense sites there is about "Prep" - from one humble hobo prep's perspective, which is about "Prep" and decidedly isn't about "Prep Style" fashion at all (because Fashion Is Not Prep, and Prep Is Not Fashion), and at least as a prep I 1. recognize what's going on with the explostion of "preppy style" sites full of vacuous nonsense about how prep is a fashion, and 2. am doing my best to inform people of (and get your comments on) this little idea : "Reading something called "Ivy Fashion" or "Prep Fashion" and Dressing like a TH(I mean WTH?)/RL/BB catalog doesn't make you a better man - it takes other qualities" .

 

If it takes a hobo to do that and make the kids realize that Prep is not a fashion, God help us all.


PS If the only thing you have is a hammer*, everything looks like a nail.

 

PPS *I see where you're from now. The Capital of Whining.

post #20 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveabdn View Post

Think yourself lucky, when the French decided to get rid of the privileged they chopped off their heads........

The greatest form of flattery is imitation, stop being so precious about something you don't own and ultimately you have done nothing for to attain

Interesting idea.

 

I do not own prep - nobody does - but there is an Irreducible Core to Prep, And What Prep Is - but I sure recognize it. As I have said, it is hard to define, easy to recognize. I have not attained it conciously, But Rather Every Prep Attains "Prep" Subconsciously, From His or Her Forbears, and In the Tender Years of Life, Until Old Enough to Appreciate Values And Strive Toward Them.

 

Passing them onto his or her children.

 

Yes, Preps do actually undertake responsibilities, tasks, life decisions, and ways of thinking that mean they attain Prep.

post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoboPrep View Post



PPS *I see where you're from now. The Capital of Whining.

Please elaborate
post #22 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoboPrep View Post
 

Writing about Prep doesnt make me any more Prep, or any less Prep, in fact, I have one of the most no-nonsense sites there is about "Prep" - from one humble hobo prep's perspective, which is about "Prep" and decidedly isn't about "Prep Style" fashion at all (because Fashion Is Not Prep, and Prep Is Not Fashion), and at least as a prep I 1. recognize what's going on with the explostion of "preppy style" sites full of vacuous nonsense about how prep is a fashion, and 2. am doing my best to inform people of (and get your comments on) this little idea : "Reading something called "Ivy Fashion" or "Prep Fashion" and Dressing like a TH(I mean WTH?)/RL/BB catalog doesn't make you a better man - it takes other qualities" .

 

If it takes a hobo to do that and make the kids realize that Prep is not a fashion, God help us all.


PS If the only thing you have is a hammer*, everything looks like a nail.

 

PPS *I see where you're from now. The Capital of Whining.

Perhaps if you would address the more substantive points of my comment to your pithy reply, I would be most grateful friend.

 

But if you are curious at my throwaway remark, use the Internet to search for "UK" and the word you ascribed to this thread together, and see what results come up.

 

And yet I confess a certain weariness about the whole "Im Better Than You Who Are No Prep For Speaking About This Because No Prep Would Ever Make Any Comments About Prep" aspect to the internet. It's not the point being made, if you read more closely. The point is that superficiality and having waifs in the third world making half-good clothing promoted to the aspirational masses as a form of transformative experience that will make them a Quasi-Royalty As Depicted In A Shiny Catalog is somehow gaining so much attention and credibility such that People Now Believe That Fashion Will Make Them Better People - is not a good thing and in fact someone should perhaps say this to Counter The Extraordinary Number Of Vacuous "Preppy Style" Blogs In Existence. I was/am in the design/ad business - I understand this enough. 


More developed thoughts on this subject are contained at the link in the first post.

post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoboPrep View Post

Perhaps if you would address the more substantive points of my comment to your pithy reply, I would be most grateful friend.

But if you are curious at my throwaway remark, use the Internet to search for "UK" and the word you ascribed to this thread.
Ok, forgiving that this is a troll thread, I'll play along.
Quote:
Writing about Prep doesnt make me any more Prep, or any less Prep,

Writing isn't the ridiculous part, crying out that style bloggers are misappropriating your word is.

Quote:
from one humble hobo prep's perspective
This is the stupidest moniker that I have ever come across, and your self penned bio includes such phrases as "Now Travel and Live in Europe And Elsewhere, as A Vagabond, Doing Small Jobs From Time To Time, and Living With the Love And Support Of My Harem, Followers and Friends."

The way you write would certainly have you thrown out of my prep school, and certainly would have precluded any genuine University degree.
Quote:
1. recognize what's going on with the explostion of "preppy style" sites full of vacuous nonsense about how prep is a fashion,
I'm assuming that you meant explosion?
Only an idiot would believe that "prep is fashion", "prep" is a lifestyle that has certain aesthetic markers which can be considered through the paradigm of clothing. If your world view is so narrow that you believe every idea must be considered as a self-contained lifestyle choice then you have some serious issues.

Also the fact you believe that the solution to there being too many Prep Websites is to add another is hilarious.
Quote:
2. am doing my best to inform people of (and get your comments on) this little idea : "Reading something called "Ivy Fashion" or "Prep Fashion" and Dressing like a TH(I mean WTH?)/RL/BB catalog doesn't make you a better man - it takes other qualities" .
If you believe people (and especially the regulars of this forum) need reminding that looks aren't everything then you have a dim view of humanity.
If you believe the solution is your poorly written, punctuated and formatted diatribes then humanity has a dim view of you.

And in repudiation to your "throwaway comment" I would remind you that [given that institution age directly impacts prestige] my University was founded before America existed as a country, and we consistently outperform Harvard, Yale and every other Prep stronghold.
post #24 of 63
And for the love of God:

Capital letters aren't meant for every word!
post #25 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post


Ok, forgiving that this is a troll thread, I'll play along.
Writing isn't the ridiculous part, crying out that style bloggers are misappropriating your word is.
This is the stupidest moniker that I have ever come across, and your self penned bio includes such phrases as "Now Travel and Live in Europe And Elsewhere, as A Vagabond, Doing Small Jobs From Time To Time, and Living With the Love And Support Of My Harem, Followers and Friends."

The way you write would certainly have you thrown out of my prep school, and certainly would have precluded any genuine University degree.
 

 

Sure, I have some typos,, Im on a boat on the way to Honshu using a Mac on my lap in a seat that's smaller than a typical F - it's a ferry, for goodness' sake. But since you gave such an irrelevant showy reply, I'll have to respond: English professors didn't get us to the Moon (in any practical sense of getting it done) and neither did Cambridge ones. We, and the Australians and Canadians, did however help you from certain defeat in your silly European Civil Wars last century, in which your Famous Cambridge Professors couldn't even design a decent tank, so your Generals Wept When They Received The M3 In the North African Desert. You're welcome, by the way.

 

Yes, I live with the support of my harem, in London mostly, and friends and supporters. Didn't you use your peepers?

 

You finally get the point, except you don't. Prep has nothing to do with fashion or preppy style - Nothing! Fashion is a choice made by preps based on inumerable factors, and you still missed the point. There's nothing "troll" about it, except I guess from your perspective. It's worthwhile having a discussion about it. It's not worthwhile letting these blogs get away with the nonsense without a well reasoned response.

 

When you get out of your village and see the world, like my predecessors did in the 19th Century, you might undrstand. But if you've been there this whole time, I can see why you come across as  Someone Who Is Mighty Angry About Life. After all, people were transported from your country to America for speaking out on topics of importance, and today in your country they still gaol people for using twitter and facebook.


Don't expect us to accord with your view of the world there.

 

Getting to the substance of the topic: There's far too many blogs that just don't get Prep. And there's plenty of room for people to write about Prep. Whether you like my name or not, I don't really care much, sorry to inform you, but I guess you guys aint used to free speech over there.

Somet things haven't changed!

 

Preps, or anyone of substance, couldn't care less about the founding date of your university. In the Internet Age people now realize that the average RPI or MIT grad is just as capable. Cambridge sure seems to impress people in your country however, so I can understand your point.

post #26 of 63
It was a nice show, but I think you've just teetered over the edge into spam.

It was good while it lasted.
post #27 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

And for the love of God:

Capital letters aren't meant for every word!

I'll use them as I please. You keep Railing Against The People Of The Internet For Using Bad Spelling. See how far it will get you.

 

The purpose of the thread was to elicit a response to the topic, the substance of which you couldn't understand. Concentrate on that task, and concentrate less on the form in which my communication took, and we will get somewhere.

 

You're welcome.

post #28 of 63
Your opening statements about the quality of education that "preps" receive does make the point about your spelling relevant.

I like the argument that the Europeans wouldn't exist without the help of the Americans, given that the USA wouldn't have existed without the European involvement in the first place this is an extremely circular argument with no winner.

If Prep means being a douche who doesn't believe that people should be allowed to subscribe to an idea that they weren't born into then you can have my khakis back.

Your moniker reminds me very much of a Pulp song
post #29 of 63

I love the smell of troll in the morning.

post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoboPrep View Post

Sure, I have some typos,, Im on a boat on the way to Honshu using a Mac on my lap in a seat that's smaller than a typical F - it's a ferry, for goodness' sake. But since you gave such an irrelevant showy reply, I'll have to respond: English professors didn't get us to the Moon (in any practical sense of getting it done) and neither did Cambridge ones. We, and the Australians and Canadians, did however help you from certain defeat in your silly European Civil Wars last century, in which your Famous Cambridge Professors couldn't even design a decent tank, so your Generals Wept When They Received The M3 In the North African Desert. You're welcome, by the way.

Yes, I live with the support of my harem, in London mostly, and friends and supporters. Didn't you use your peepers?

You finally get the point, except you don't. Prep has nothing to do with fashion or preppy style - Nothing! Fashion is a choice made by preps based on inumerable factors, and you still missed the point. There's nothing "troll" about it, except I guess from your perspective. It's worthwhile having a discussion about it. It's not worthwhile letting these blogs get away with the nonsense without a well reasoned response.

When you get out of your village and see the world, like my predecessors did in the 19th Century, you might undrstand. But if you've been there this whole time, I can see why you come across as  Someone Who Is Mighty Angry About Life. After all, people were transported from your country to America for speaking out on topics of importance, and today in your country they still gaol people for using twitter and facebook.



Don't expect us to accord with your view of the world there.

Getting to the substance of the topic: There's far too many blogs that just don't get Prep. And there's plenty of room for people to write about Prep. Whether you like my name or not, I don't really care much, sorry to inform you, but I guess you guys aint used to free speech over there.


Somet things haven't changed!

Preps, or anyone of substance, couldn't care less about the founding date of your university. In the Internet Age people now realize that the average RPI or MIT grad is just as capable. Cambridge sure seems to impress people in your country however, so I can understand your point.

tool
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Preppy Style has been taken away from the Preps