or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Friday Challenge 01/10/2014: SF Family Values
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friday Challenge 01/10/2014: SF Family Values - Page 13

Poll Results: In a challenge of greatest among equals, who repped SF Families best?

Poll expired: Jan 13, 2014 This is a multiple choice poll
  • 13% (10)
    Don Cologne
  • 22% (17)
    Timotune
  • 29% (22)
    Claghorn
  • 10% (8)
    Spandexter
  • 9% (7)
    Pliny
  • 14% (11)
    Mursquirl
  • 9% (7)
    Holdfast
  • 2% (2)
    RogerC
  • 32% (24)
    Cotton Dockers
  • 6% (5)
    sugarbutch
  • 37% (28)
    Betel
  • 13% (10)
    GMMcL
  • 39% (29)
    in stitches
  • 13% (10)
    Mr. Six
  • 17% (13)
    Rudals
74 Total Votes  
post #181 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I HOPE YOU FIND ONE!!!
devil.gif

 

This is the one

 

 

Houndstooth (Click to show)

 

 

From a distance. 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #182 of 201
in the distance shot it looks more teal than navy, but because you are a good dood ill allow it.
post #183 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

in the distance shot it looks more teal than navy, but because you are a good dood ill allow it.

 

post #184 of 201

I found this challenge to be a bit unengaging, not because of the outfits - which were generally fine - but because the challenge wasn't really that challenging. I don't see what's particularly special about just wearing an item of 'Brand X' bought from an affiliate compared to the same item or brand bought anywhere, or from anyone, else - including other members who happen not to be affiliates. Perhaps it would have been more interesting had it been only items made by forum affiliates or members...

 

However, my personal preference is for challenges that impose some restriction that forces us to think about how we dress - like the way that Lars Von Trier and Jørgen Leith's film, The Five Obstructions, forces us to think about movies - not about how much stuff you happen to buy (and from whom).

 

I'm sure someone (probably Stitchy...) will tell me to stop being negative, and that there's room for all kinds of challenges, live and let live, etc. etc.... to which I will just respond by grumbling to myself. :tounge:

post #185 of 201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
 

I'm sure someone (probably Stitchy...) will tell me to stop being negative, and that there's room for all kinds of challenges, live and let live, etc. etc.... to which I will just respond by grumbling to myself. :tounge:

I believe I will respond, though pretty much as anticipated. I generally like challenges that impose a restriction--all the other challenges I've run did so--but since there isn't really a limit on how many challenges we do (I guess 52 a year would be the limit), I felt no need to do the same here. This one was less about the entrants and more about the brands. I'm very grateful to have access to what the SF Family provides. I've gotten a lot of nice stuff, some on sale, some slightly modified for my preferences. I've had an AV sell me his personal tie (at a discount) when he was sold out. This was a nice way to celebrate all that.

post #186 of 201
1. What Clags said.

2. Stop being silly and negative. No one has to play but no need to shit on the people here celebrating the vendors we all benefit so greatly from.

Grumble away.
post #187 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

I believe I will respond, though pretty much as anticipated. I generally like challenges that impose a restriction--all the other challenges I've run did so--but since there isn't really a limit on how many challenges we do (I guess 52 a year would be the limit), I felt no need to do the same here. This one was less about the entrants and more about the brands. I'm very grateful to have access to what the SF Family provides. I've gotten a lot of nice stuff, some on sale, some slightly modified for my preferences. I've had an AV sell me his personal tie (at a discount) when he was sold out. This was a nice way to celebrate all that.

 

Yeah, yeah, I know - and I don't fundamentally object to that, but I also have quite a bit of sympathy for the old-timers here who argue that affiliate threads etc. increasingly dominate the forum to its detriment - it's not as if they need any more 'celebrating'... (grumble, grumble).

post #188 of 201
AVs dont negatively impact SF. Not to mention, your join date precludes you from getting near that argument.

:poke:
post #189 of 201
Thread Starter 

Some are definitely over celebrated. Others are not. I think there was a healthy mix of both in this competition.

post #190 of 201
Yes. But over celebrated or not, I don't think they have the negative impact some accuse them of. Either way, this is a thread of love and positivity not negativity. This stops here.

Anyone is welcome to go back to talking about how excited we are for this weeks fun and challenging Friday Challenge.
post #191 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

AVs dont negatively impact SF. Not to mention, your join date precludes you from getting near that argument.

 

Quite a few people do not agree with you on the subject of affiliates, or more accurately the predominance of affiliate threads: please be a bit more careful in your accusations - I haven't said that affiliates per se damage SF and I am not arguing that. And please don't presume to know how long I've been reading SF. It's far longer than my join date would indicate. I remember when you arrived for a start... :satisfied:

 

Anyway, I don't think this is going to get any more productive here - there is already a discussion thread that deals with affiliate threads etc. elsewhere in which Fok has engaged constructively with some of the concerns of those longer-standing members that I mentioned.

post #192 of 201
Indeed.

Now, where were we about classic good old American navy on navy action?
post #193 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Indeed.

Now, where were we about classic good old American navy on navy action?

 

Ahem, navy is very much a classic good old British colour... :smarmy:

post #194 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Claymore View Post

Well shoot! I was all ready for glen plaid.....



Oh well, not sure I have that many good navy options.

The two third and fourth from the right look barely distinguishable in pattern - are they radically different in style or is it something only you and a discerning SF member could tell apart? I was wondering if having two POW suits was de trop but you've certainly answered that question!
post #195 of 201
I could easily see myself having 4 or 5 different PoW suits.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Friday Challenge 01/10/2014: SF Family Values