or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › just got my first two AE's and concerned I went "too formal"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

just got my first two AE's and concerned I went "too formal"

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I work in the IT department of a real estate company. We're business casual which consists of slacks and a dress shirt but no tie or jacket. I'm 32 but baby-faced so like to dress on the nicer side. Sometimes I meet with other business units as IT is a service to them.

 

I decided to opt for brown and burgundy shoes and purchased:

 

Bourbon Strands

Merlot McAllisters

 

I walked in there thinking I'd get maybe one balmoral and one blucher. Specifically, i like the look of broguing, medallions, and wingtips/captoes and liked the MacNeil. I tried it on and thought it was too bulky around the laces. The Delray didn't wow me either. 

 

Then tried on the Strands/McAllisters and they looked so beautiful. Did i overdo it? I plan to buy more shoes this year so can maybe opt for derby's then. 

post #2 of 7

You'd be pushing it. You'd need to keep your trousers pressed/creased, your shirts immaculately ironed and overall be projecting about as much formality as you can without a coat for those shoes to not be a touch too formal. They'd be wrong with rumpled/uncreased chinos. Then again, I pretty firmly believe that trousers should always have a crease. Weirdly enough, I don't mind the massive formality gap when wearing jeans with balmoral shoes. Who knows why. Just works okay for me.

 

They'd still be more at home with a coat, even a fairly casual one. You could remove it at your desk or when working, of course.

 

You have more choices than just oxfords or derbies, too. Chukka boots, chelsea boots, and loafers are all great options.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

wool or cotton slacks and dress shirts. Occasionally dressier chinos. 

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatUnwashe View Post
 

wool or cotton slacks and dress shirts. Occasionally dressier chinos. 


Sorry -- I corrected my reading comprehension error and tried to get it done before you returned. Alas, I failed.

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 


Sorry -- I corrected my reading comprehension error and tried to get it done before you returned. Alas, I failed.

Thanks. I really like the Merlot on the McAllisters and am leaning towards keeping those. Might replace the Strands with some Bourbon Larchmonts instead.

 

Thanks for your feedback. 

post #6 of 7

The Larchmonts are still pretty dressy, but a little less so, and there would be much more variation in your wardrobe with those and the McAllisters than there would be with the McAs and the Strands.

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

You'd be pushing it. You'd need to keep your trousers pressed/creased, your shirts immaculately ironed and overall be projecting about as much formality as you can without a coat for those shoes to not be a touch too formal. They'd be wrong with rumpled/uncreased chinos. Then again, I pretty firmly believe that trousers should always have a crease. Weirdly enough, I don't mind the massive formality gap when wearing jeans with balmoral shoes. Who knows why. Just works okay for me.

 

They'd still be more at home with a coat, even a fairly casual one. You could remove it at your desk or when working, of course.

 

You have more choices than just oxfords or derbies, too. Chukka boots, chelsea boots, and loafers are all great options.

I have some medium brown AE Mojave Chukka boots but they're got the soft gelatin sole. To wear chukkas as part of business casual:

 

1) Is that sole no good? Guessing i need a leather sole

2) Is suede OK or do i need leather?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › just got my first two AE's and concerned I went "too formal"