or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Student. Interview in 2 Weeks at "Distinguished" Firm. Need suit. Slim/Young. Toronto. Good Quality. Boxing Day or Classifieds?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Student. Interview in 2 Weeks at "Distinguished" Firm. Need suit. Slim/Young. Toronto. Good...

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I am looking to my very experienced friends on the forum for help: 

 

My so-so Hugo Boss got trashed in an accident and I have an interview in 2 weeks with partners at a prestigious firm. Though they won't expect top-dollar, they do pay attention to fit/quality details, though.

It is almost Boxing Day and I am located in Toronto. 

Should I go with classifieds, online, or are there particular Boxing Day sales I should look out for (Brooks Brothers, etc.)?

I don't have a lot of time for returns online or long delivery from the states (can get held at customs). 

Also: budget ~$400-600 (cause I need a new pair of shoes and shirt, too)


Advice? 

Thanks

5'11.
39R typically. 
33 Waist.

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolin View Post

I am looking to my very experienced friends on the forum for help: 

My so-so Hugo Boss got trashed in an accident and I have an interview in 2 weeks with partners at a prestigious firm. Though they won't expect top-dollar, they do pay attention to fit/quality details, though.


It is almost Boxing Day and I am located in Toronto. 


Should I go with classifieds, online, or are there particular Boxing Day sales I should look out for (Brooks Brothers, etc.)?


I don't have a lot of time for returns online or long delivery from the states (can get held at customs). 


Also: budget ~$400-600 (cause I need a new pair of shoes and shirt, too)


Advice? 


Thanks


5'11.

39R typically. 

33 Waist.

Let me make sure I understand this. The firm and its partners care about the fit of your suit but not the brand name? I figured they would focus on other things in the interview. What kind of firm is this?

I don't know too many shops in Toronto so I cannot answer your questions. I would just wait for sales.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post


Let me make sure I understand this. The firm and its partners care about the fit of your suit but not the brand name? I figured they would focus on other things in the interview. What kind of firm is this?

I don't know too many shops in Toronto so I cannot answer your questions. I would just wait for sales.

It may sound ridiculous, but simply put, I am relying on others' opinions on quality to find a suit that does not look glaringly juvenile nor cheap. A suit that you would wear in front of an accomplished client. 

post #4 of 12
For that much, find a Banana Republic on sale or something from SuitSupply.

Also, I can't help but to notice the contradicting statements in your OP about fit vs. brand. Also the fact that you call it a "prestigious" firm is funny too. If your "prestigious firm" is anything like mine, don't wear anything too nice.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolin View Post

It may sound ridiculous, but simply put, I am relying on others' opinions on quality to find a suit that does not look glaringly juvenile nor cheap. A suit that you would wear in front of an accomplished client. 

Ebay is another choice in your range.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post


Ebay is another choice in your range.

I have seen some, but the fit may not be right and the delivery time might be restrictive to Canada.

post #7 of 12

Harry Rosen has a 40% off sale right now. Another poster, othertravel, might have some better info on that if you send him a PM.

 

Also, Club Monaco has 30% off sale items right now and J. Crew is having a sale as well. Might be able to find a passable navy blue suit there in that price range.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickInTO View Post
 

Harry Rosen has a 40% off sale right now. Another poster, othertravel, might have some better info on that if you send him a PM.

 

Also, Club Monaco has 30% off sale items right now and J. Crew is having a sale as well. Might be able to find a passable navy blue suit there in that price range.

 

Even at 40% off, 400-600 bucks is still not going to get you much at Harry's

 

I would suggest the Hugo Boss outlet in Vaughn Mills, Tom's in Kensington Market, or maybe even the Harry Rosen outlet in Heartland. 

post #9 of 12

I have bought more than one Samuelsohn suit at the Harry Rosen Outlet for $500-600.  Worth checking out their Boxing Day sale for sure.

post #10 of 12

I don't know what is so surprising about the OP's statement. My firm, as well as all of the firms I interviewed with, wasn't and isn't interested in the brand of suit that a student wears to an OCI or in-firm. Rather, we are interested to see whether a student is willing to put in the minimal effort to do basic research as to how a suit should fit so that he might present himself in a professional manner. 

post #11 of 12

Rosen outlet.  Pretty good sale for boxing day.  

post #12 of 12
What's the sale?

I work at a large Bay St. firm and I am involved in the interviewing and recruiting process and have been for several years. As long as you don't fall on either end of the spectrum (no suits with stains, holes white suits, etc. and no Brioni or Kiton either), no one really cares. That said, if it makes you feel better to wear a nice suit, go for it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Student. Interview in 2 Weeks at "Distinguished" Firm. Need suit. Slim/Young. Toronto. Good Quality. Boxing Day or Classifieds?