• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Four-in-Hand Knot Problem

thewildpig

Reaction score
I downloaded a video series on tying ties from a site run by a guy named Caspar Isemer called tie-a-tie.net. I spent $13.95 U.S. for the videos. I feel kind of stupid now, though, because a friend of mine sent me links to a whole slew of tie-tying videos on youtube. The videos I bought feature the half-Windsor, Windsor, Pratt, and Four-in-Hand knots. So far, I've only gotten the hang of the Four-in-Hand.

I have a problem. When I wear a tie with a Four-in-Hand, it seems like the knot likes to slide down slightly throughout the day so that it is no longer up close to the collar of my shirt. It's not a huge slide, but it's enough to cause me to adjust the knot a few times a day, sliding it back into position. Is this a common problem with the Four-in-Hand? Thanks in advance, guys.
smile.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you bought a video to learn the four in hand??????

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thewildpig
I downloaded a video series on tying ties from a site run by a guy named Caspar Isemer called tie-a-tie.net. I spent $13.95 U.S. for the videos. I feel kind of stupid now, though, because a friend of mine sent me links to a whole slew of tie-tying videos on youtube. The videos I bought feature the half-Windsor, Windsor, Pratt, and Four-in-Hand knots. So far, I've only gotten the hang of the Four-in-Hand.

smile.gif

Im sorry, but i cannot stop chuckling a bit, but it is cute, that you innocently bought a video series on how to tie a tie for 14 bucks.

you could have asked us,or even on the internet , google how to tie a neck tie or something like that and a dozen sites come up on how to do this!
laugh.gif

even mens wearhouse site has a section on how to tie (that is where, i admit, where i learned how to tie a half windsor)

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get thicker ties. The flimsy ones tend to come loose with neck movement.

royal618

Reaction score
I sell instructional videos on how to tuck in a shirt and how to secure cuff links.

PM me for more details.

Rolo

Reaction score
1. Over
2. Under
3. Around
4. Through

Please paypal me $13.95.
smile.gif

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Get thicker ties. The flimsy ones tend to come loose with neck movement.

I find that the nature of the silk can be as much (or greater) factor in whether a FIH will slip. I find that satin ties slip more than those with a bit of texture.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by royal618
I sell instructional videos on how to tuck in a shirt and how to secure cuff links.

PM me for more details.

This is hilarious
crackup[1].gif
rimshot.gif

thewildpig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
you bought a video to learn the four in hand??????

No. The $13.95 gets you all four (Windsor, half Windsor, Four-in-Hand, and Pratt)knot-tying videos. I bought the videos to learn the Windsor, but the Four-in-Hand was the easiest.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the FIH I practically learned by accident. its what happens when you try to imitate your dad tying a tie. you remember him go around so you try going around, you see him pulling something through the front so you try that. then suddenly you have a knot...

thewildpig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
Im sorry, but i cannot stop chuckling a bit, but it is cute, that you innocently bought a video series on how to tie a tie for 14 bucks.

you could have asked us,or even on the internet , google how to tie a neck tie or something like that and a dozen sites come up on how to do this!
laugh.gif

even mens wearhouse site has a section on how to tie (that is where, i admit, where i learned how to tie a half windsor)

I did Google "how to tie a necktie". I found many, many sites with plenty of diagrams on how to tie a tie. However, I learn best when I actually see something being done as opposed to just seeing diagrams. Then I found the tie-a-tie.net video site. It had the videos I mentioned for $13.95, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I only mastered the four-in-hand, so I emailed Caspar, and he gave me a full refund. After that, I saw all the videos on tying ties on youtube.

lpwb32

Reaction score
dont fall for the instructional video scams and dont listen to these pranksters here. just loop it, swoop it, and pull. see attached

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads