or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Please Help with a Sport Coat - Matching/Pairing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Help with a Sport Coat - Matching/Pairing

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have a sport coat that fits well. I love the colors and the fabric. It has a nice cold-weather appeal that is rare in the South (US). I don't have the opportunity to wear it much, due to the weather being warm most of the year... When I do have the opportunity, I find it very hard to match with slacks/ties. I would really appreciate some help.

I have added some pictures that hopefully give you a good feel for the true fabric/color.

Honestly, what I would love is for some of you to simply tell me how you would pair this coat with pants, ties, shirts. I like color, but I find myself pairing this with bland colors and I end up feeling like I am wearing all khaki, or brown, or something similar. I just want some good advice on how to make this more usable.

Thanks.




post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy View Post

I have a sport coat that fits well. I love the colors and the fabric. It has a nice cold-weather appeal that is rare in the South (US). I don't have the opportunity to wear it much, due to the weather being warm most of the year... When I do have the opportunity, I find it very hard to match with slacks/ties. I would really appreciate some help.

I have added some pictures that hopefully give you a good feel for the true fabric/color.

Honestly, what I would love is for some of you to simply tell me how you would pair this coat with pants, ties, shirts. I like color, but I find myself pairing this with bland colors and I end up feeling like I am wearing all khaki, or brown, or something similar. I just want some good advice on how to make this more usable.

Thanks.





Nice coat. Will pair very well with light or medium grey trousers.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thank you. I presume that the pants will have to be solid, as the coat obviously has a pattern. I have a few pairs of medium gray trousers but they are all slightly patterned. I will need to get a solid pair.

With regard to shirt/tie, I have tried to go with a simple white shirt and worked the tie in with the light blue in the coat's pattern. Any other ideas are appreciated.

I just want to mix it up a bit, but I am not confident with pairing to this specific jacket for some reason.
post #4 of 18
This is a tough color to pair given that it is gray. Which picture is more representative of the darkness of the color, the first (very light) or last (very dark)? If it is closer to the last, then you can probably get away with light gray pants, but I would probably go with light brown (tan) to get a tonal difference as well. If it is lighter than the last pic, then I'm not sure what to pair it with. Maybe not-quite-navy blue?
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Tough indeed. I think that is what has me stumped.

The color is closer to the first picture, so lighter. I was trying to mess with the flash and overall lighting to give a proper impression of the true color. It is a lighter gray, warm with a hint of brown. That is why I do not like pairing it with brown pants. I feel too khaki, like Jack Hanna-ish.

Maybe I'll just wear it with jeans and stop trying to dress it up...

Thanks for any additional tips.
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Just bumping in hopes of someone having some other ideas.

Thanks!
post #7 of 18
Burn it?

Not easy to match, but grey trousers or wear it with dark jeans.
post #8 of 18

navy? seems obvious am i missing something?

post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Burn it?

Haha, thanks man. I think I might. It is causing me too much f-cking stress! censored.gif
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohare View Post

navy? seems obvious am i missing something?

I actually might try this with some navy suit pants this weekend. I will still struggle with the tie. I would love to do something red and navy, but I do not think that would work. I am really open to tie suggestions. General colors you see being good here.

I am just going to go drink the Ardbeg I have in my office until I hear back.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy View Post

I am just going to go drink the Ardbeg I have in my office until I hear back.

I'm really drunk, by the way.
post #12 of 18
For ties, I think you need to avoid traditional conservative business ties such as stripes or small, neat patterns. Try a solid wool knit or something similar.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

For ties, I think you need to avoid traditional conservative business ties such as stripes or small, neat patterns. Try a solid wool knit or something similar.


Agreed, though I'm not sure I've ever seen a wool knit. A silk knit should still be fine, or a wool tie would work as well. Burgundy and navy (among others) would work fine.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohare View Post
 

navy? seems obvious am i missing something?


There is a strong dislike for navy pants on this forum. There is also a strong dislike for having a the jacket lighter than the pants. In addition, there is a dislike of wearing suit pants with rustic sportcoats. I agree the most with the last one, but the other 2 points have some merit.

 

If the OP wears navy suit pants with this jacket, it probably won't work out well. Maybe something lighter than navy would work, and preferably not worsted suit pants. This might mean flannels, but I don't know that I've ever seen navy flannel pants. It might make sense to go with a lighter blue chino or something, but obviously this dresses down the whole look. Not sure if this is something that the OP would have an issue with or not.

 

Something like this might work (in the "raw steel" color):

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pants/bowerypants/PRDOVR~21606/21606.jsp

post #15 of 18
Avoid khaki or tan. Go for an off-white like this:







It is a contemporary look in menswear appropriate for Fall/Winter. Wearing navy or brown pants, IMO will look old fashioned. The off white ones will look updated.

Try pairing them with tan leather or tobacco brown suede shoes.

Wear a solid blue shirt. Don't wear white, it will look washed out. You need the color. Actually a solid pink shirt would be very nice as well.

I would also wear this with jeans, a blue or pink OCBD and suede bucks or chuckas for a relaxed comfortable look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Please Help with a Sport Coat - Matching/Pairing