• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do the English Dress So Horridly?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was walking around London all day today and have to say that there can not possibly be a worse dressed group of people tan the people here.

Leaving aside the women who seem to dress only in order to look as unattractive as possible, the men are a huge disappointment.

I am not sure that I even need one hand to count the number of well fitting suits, and the number of collars that did not reach the wearers neck was baffling. I spent much of the day just walking around Mayfair and St. James with my wife, so, at least theoretically, this should have been a survey of the better turned out men. On top of the problems of fit, the overall style of combining patterns and colors was frightening.

I usually don't spend that much time noticing other people in England, as I have something better to do, but today I noticed. It makes me wonder what has happened to the vaunted Savile Row, and whether anybody else has noticed the same.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I was walking around London all day today and have to say that there can not possibly be a worse dressed group of people tan the people here.

Leaving aside the women who seem to dress only in order to look as unattractive as possible, the men are a huge disappointment.

I am not sure that I even need one hand to count the number of well fitting suits, and the number of collars that did not reach the wearers neck was baffling. I spent much of the day just walking around Mayfair and St. James with my wife, so, at least theoretically, this should have been a survey of the better turned out men. On top of the problems of fit, the overall style of combining patterns and colors was frightening.

I usually don't spend that much time noticing other people in England, as I have something better to do, but today I noticed. It makes me wonder what has happened to the vaunted Savile Row, and whether anybody else has noticed the same.

I hate all the people who bash the US out of some sort of weird hatred, but I dare say that the US is just as poorly dressed.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I dare say that the US is just as poorly dressed.

true, but I think Matt's alluding to the point that "English style" is so revered, and he's at the heart of it, and he's not seeing any.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You clearly haven't been to Germany or Poland

Tibo

Reaction score
The overwhelming majority of people in London don't dress any better than in any other major city in the world, but the few ones you'll see are really true to the English legend.

I'm surprised you didn't see more of them while walking in St. James and Mayfair. Together with Belgravia and Knightsbridge/Sloane Sq., those are probably the areas where I met the best specimen.

summej2

Reaction score
I'm once again doing a back-to-back Italy to England trip, and, while there is certainly much more flair and personal style in Italy, I'd say that judging from my tube rides to and from the meeting today, the men of London aren't so badly dressed. Certainly better than I've seen in many American cities. The average younger person in a suit-and-tie job seems to have much more sense of what decent dress comprises. I have been surprised by the number ill-fitting suits, however.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I hate all the people who bash the US out of some sort of weird hatred, but I dare say that the US is just as poorly dressed.

The Italians in Roma were well dressed, if a bit overdressed for 26 Celsius and 90 percent humidity.

Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
true, but I think Matt's alluding to the point that "English style" is so revered, and he's at the heart of it, and he's not seeing any.
yeah. plus, I think I might not get the "English Style" even when done well.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one time I noticed the high quality of men's dressing when I was in London, I was in a pub with my friend that just happened to be off of Savile Row. It was just after working hours, I think a Thurs or Friday, and the pub had a crowd of young and older businessmen quaffing pints. They were definitely all wearing finely crafted and well-tailored suits and shirts, and what struck me was how most of them refused to unfasten the top suit or shirt buttons, or loosen their ties. Most of the similar crowds I've seen here in the States would have their shirts unfastened, tails untucked, jacket slung over a chair back and their tie knots hanging at their chests.

'After-work drinks' seemed a fairly formal affair.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what happens is that you have a distorted view of the dress standards...

Distorted in a positive way. As we all that share this forum and some others... but we are a minority... most people dress horridly and simply don't care much about...

Even the days when I dress, in my view, modestly, I overdress the 95% of the people I cross on a normal day...

So what happens is that you are idealized England as the source of the classic elegance we pursue... and there you discover that is just another bunch of people living in a foggy island were everybody obstinately drive in the wrong side of the street
devil.gif

But really I have been to London several times and certainly most people are not dressed up but the dress level was higher than what I have seen in other parts of the world.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in London for over a week in March and I noticed the same thing. Or rather, didn't notice anything. I don't remember a single bloke wearing any kind of traditional english footwear, or any type of suit which was impressive. The only people dressed decently were Selfridge employees who hopped over to the bar we were at, right next door.

In the end people dress for comfort. It must be universal.

Still, it gives hope that there are C&Js to be had at the mall, and Church's shops everywhere.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget what turned up at the Met's recent black tie gala.
2144005230.jpg

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does this include the professional business people? I have never been to London but am curious as if this is true of everyone. Americans generally dress very poorly when not working, mainly dressing for comfort and not looks.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
London has lots of bad dressers, just like any other city. However there are some guys (and girls!) with real style though I don't know if they're actually more prevalent than any other city.

What I would say about London (and NYC actually) is that there are also a lot more "nearly greats" than most cities - people who've clearly put real effort into their outfit (be it business, casual or streetwear) and are almost there with one or two things just letting them down. Shoes are the most common culprit, but suits a size too big or too large tie knots are probably the runners-up in this category. But it gives me hope just to know that the effort's out there.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads