• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stays

lockey2k

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on collar stays? Brass v. plastic? Disposable?

Where does one get affordable stays?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
What are people's thoughts on collar stays? Brass v. plastic? Disposable?

Where does one get affordable stays?

you can never beat transparent aluminum.

i just save mine as i wear out the shirts and now have a massive collection. but you can buy them in quantities of 20 or 30 at numerous shirt stores and websites - I know BB has them, although they're slightly overpriced.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or get a sterling pair. I had two pairs in my size specification made by a local silver smith. Although that might strain the tips of the collar pockets.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
Or get a sterling pair.

Unfortunately, they tend to set off metal detectors at security checkpoints.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso

Another reason it is good we don't have as many here in Europe.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso

All Kidding aside, I once got stopped in Italy because I had thrown a set of brass collar stays into my overnight and it showed up on the X-ray.

They let me go after seeing it but I was still stopped for a few minutes.

Of course nothing quite comes to the looks I got from the security people when as a young man I tried brining a sterling silver bread knife used on weekends and holidays on the plane since I wanted to collect the VAT when leaving Israel.

I was just a boy...

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a tard. I can't believe, in all serious curiosity, that I just googled this.
laugh.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Of course nothing quite comes to the looks I got from the security people when as a young man I tried brining a sterling silver bread knife used on weekends and holidays on the plane since I wanted to collect the VAT when leaving Israel.
You should have seen the face of airport security in Bangkok when they found a couple of small plastic bags full of white sand - it was a "souvenir" I was bringing from the Phuket beach for my brother. I was 18, backpacking on my own, had a 10-day beard and was traveling with a guitar case on my back. Just picture the scene...
laugh.gif

drljva

Reaction score
In the last 2 years or so, I've developed a preference for MOP stays -- the ones I own I purchased at Pink and Carlo Franco. I've found that the sterling ones that I own (purchased at Links in London) bend too easily...

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drljva
In the last 2 years or so, I've developed a preference for MOP stays ...

Okay, Mr. Fancy-pants.
bigstar[1].gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I really see no need to use anything other than plastic stays.

I picked up a box of replacement stays at Macy's a few years ago - it was under $10 for about a dozen pairs. Now, I just keep all my stays, including the ones that have come with various shirts in that box, and just put them in my shirts before I wear them.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use the plastic stays that came with my J.Crew dress shirts. I'll get "better" ones when I start buying nicer shirts and quit losing my stays.

drljva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Okay, Mr. Fancy-pants.
bigstar[1].gif

Actually, I wish they weren't so darn expensive.
devil.gif
I don't mind the plastic ones that most shirts come with -- sometimes, though, I like the stiffness of the MOPs...

Dashing1

Reaction score
I like these St. Georges from James & Longbourne...

stgeorgecollarstaysatjavr5.th.png
[/IMG]

Sure, no one sees them but you, but frequently, my favorite items of clothing are nice details that I might be the only one who notices (e.g. collar stays, behind-the-lapel engraved & silver boutonniere vases to keep flowers fresh, an antique wristsider driver's watch or Reversos that amuse me, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads