or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What makes a Tom Ford suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What makes a Tom Ford suit?

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 

I know tom ford suits are fully canvased. I know some of the details that make their brand. They have wide lapels from 4-5 inches, milanese buttonholes on the lapel, barchetta breast pocket, under collar is the fabric of the suit, bottom sleeve button stitching is slightly longer then the rest.  I'm pretty sure I missed a few cosmetic details. Sorry if this is a noob question. I did do research prior but I thought I might get more information here.

post #2 of 59

A Tom Ford suit is whatever he commissions Zegna Couture to do for him. His suits have a wide range i.e. his normal wear vs. w/e that shit was in Skyfall.

 

TF suits are nice because the handwork Zegna puts into them, not because of his cuts (personal opinion).

post #3 of 59
Jeffery D wrote about them somewhere, worth checking out.
post #4 of 59

The cut is definitely the most obvious characteristic of what makes a TF suit. It was what drew me to them in first place - for an athletic build, they're perfect.

 

Quote:
 They have wide lapels from 4-5 inches

 

No, there are actually models with rather slim lapels. The lookbook on the website usually shows only one model per season, though, so it's an common misled impression.

post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhyy View Post
 

A Tom Ford suit is whatever he commissions Zegna Couture to do for him. His suits have a wide range i.e. his normal wear vs. w/e that shit was in Skyfall.

 

TF suits are nice because the handwork Zegna puts into them, not because of his cuts (personal opinion).

"That shit was in Skyfall "!!!!!

 

Can you elaborate more on that please ?!

post #6 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
 

"That shit was in Skyfall "!!!!!

 

Can you elaborate more on that please ?!

 

The suits in Skyfall looked like shit.

post #7 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugotes View Post
 

 

The suits in Skyfall looked like shit.

 

We are defiantly gonna need a third opinion here cause I can't believe anybody is saying this.

 

The main reason people where targeting the movie was for watch Daniel Craig's clothes.

post #8 of 59
lurker[1].gif
post #9 of 59
The cut was definitely the main reason. Among the details mentioned above and I particularly fancy the buttoned cuffs on the trousers. I am unsure what the regulars of Tom Ford think about the recent cuts of the suits but I am pulling myself away from them as of late. The Base A suits are no longer what they used to be. The new Base A/ Fit A - as they called it now - are going towards mostly slimmer lapels, and mostly notch - at least here in Australia and Hong Kong. The newer cuts - Fit W, Fit S, etc just does not do it for me. Fits too slim for my liking, losing that classic look of the early Tom Ford suits. Talk about a drastic change in direction.
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarks View Post

The cut was definitely the main reason. Among the details mentioned above and I particularly fancy the buttoned cuffs on the trousers. I am unsure what the regulars of Tom Ford think about the recent cuts of the suits but I am pulling myself away from them as of late. The Base A suits are no longer what they used to be. The new Base A/ Fit A - as they called it now - are going towards mostly slimmer lapels, and mostly notch - at least here in Australia and Hong Kong. The newer cuts - Fit W, Fit S, etc just does not do it for me. Fits too slim for my liking, losing that classic look of the early Tom Ford suits. Talk about a drastic change in direction.

 

I have never heard of any other fits/models other than A - F. But then again, I've only checked in Germany, Italy and the UK. I had an Base F from the 2012 summer collection and it still had strong shoulders and chest, a nipped waist and big lapels.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
 

 

We are defiantly gonna need a third opinion here cause I can't believe anybody is saying this.

 

The main reason people where targeting the movie was for watch Daniel Craig's clothes.

 

:lurk:

post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
 

 

We are defiantly gonna need a third opinion here cause I can't believe anybody is saying this.

 

The main reason people where targeting the movie was for watch Daniel Craig's clothes.

 

Why are you writing in bold?

 

Literally all of his suits were too small for him. The only thing that even remotely fit him well was that navy coat he wore to the museum. 

post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiristol View Post

Why are you writing in bold?

Literally all of his suits were too small for him. The only thing that even remotely fit him well was that navy coat he wore to the museum. 

+1

Its been well established that the suits looked awful on him.

Where to start?

- Collar gap
- Bowing at the chest
- Too tight in the waist
post #13 of 59
Pretty sure the answer is "a (genuine) tom ford label"
post #14 of 59

Wow, it looks like I am out numbered here.

 

I can't think of anything wrong with that for example:

 

 

The suits were too slim to make it appropriate for a more casual occasion and for an action movie. It would have been silly to watch Daniel Craig doing all those action scenes in a classic fitting suit, wouldn't it ?! 

post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post

I can't think of anything wrong with that for example: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


The jacket is too short and clearly too tight.
Quote:
The suits were too slim to make it appropriate for a more casual occasion and for an action movie. It would have been silly to watch Daniel Craig doing all those action scenes in a classic fitting suit, wouldn't it ?! 

I don't even understand this line of reasoning. What made the scenes in Skyfall a more casual occasion? As for action scenes, Daniel Craig is in good shape and built like a brawler, you don't need to stuff him into a sausage casing suit to showcase it. It actually makes it look worse.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What makes a Tom Ford suit?