• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outfit Crisis! on Business Trip...

stephen

Reaction score
So, I brought my new brown Allen-Edmonds shoes with me on my most recent business trip. (std. dress is polos and khakis). I was hoping to use them with my gray slacks, but a brown belt on grey just looks so STRANGE!
confused.gif

Given that I only have a few options to work with, is the outfit below passable? Tell me the ways in which it is unfit for human eyes...

frontya5.jpg

fulllh0.jpg

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

IMHO, the first isn't bad, too. Lots of guys here pair charcoal suits with dark brown shoes, don't they?

strazzaque

Reaction score
The lighting under which that pic was taken makes your pants 'moss-green' in colour. It could also be down to my poor office CRT monitor.

What type of grey is it? Light? I have never thought brown on grey a strange combo. What makes you say that, if you can put it down to a cause?

Then again,I avoid black clothing altogether, as often as possible.

If it makes you self conscious, don't do it, but I see little wrong.

strazzaque

Reaction score
Here are some grey brown pant/shoe pics I found on the Sartorialist. Some shades of brown resemble other colours, but you get the idea....

sockspants.jpg

twodb.jpg

suitsboots1.jpg

suitboots2_1.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Passable, yes- but I strongly recommend you wear a sportscoat, and pocket squares

southbound35

Reaction score
Solid shirt + solid pants = boring

Throw on a shirt with some pattern.

On a positive note, that shirt does fit you well and the buttondown collar has an excellent "roll" to it.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Solid shirt + solid pants = boring

Throw on a shirt with some pattern.

On a positive note, that shirt does fit you well and the buttondown collar has an excellent "roll" to it.

+1

The bottom half is fine, but use some color up top. And gray pants with brown shoes can work anywhere between passable and spectacular; see above examples.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this guy on the left is kicking a lot of ass
twodb.jpg

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Nothing inherently wrong, but it is unconditionally bland.
Well, maybe he needs to be bland for business, and has a separate party shirt (see other thread).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Well, maybe he needs to be bland for business, and has a separate party shirt (see other thread).

Do you own some sort of a party shirt? Perhaps with mustard accents?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stephen
but a brown belt on grey just looks so STRANGE!
confused.gif

Actually, some of my favourite combinations include brown shoes and belt with grey flannel trousers. I never thought of brown and grey as a "difficult" match.
The pictures look fine to me, but yes, maybe a bit "bland" but that will depend on the sport coat. And on the pocket square.

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
On a positive note, that shirt does fit you well

Arent the shirt's shoulders a bit wide?

And the pants are IMO a tad long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads