or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Is this what the B&S Has Come To?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this what the B&S Has Come To? - Page 3

post #31 of 88
I still check B&S quite a bit, but rarely is there something in my size (particularly shoes, given my wide feet) that I need.

Related, I do think that B&S is very difficult to use. No good way to filter, etc. I don't think that by itself is the source of the problems, but it certainly contributes. Unless you are checking it all the time, things that you are interested in are certain to slip through just because there is no good way to find them.
post #32 of 88
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

B&S never really recovered from the depletion of deep discounting that existed in the days before the economic collapse. The glory days created artificially high expectations that inevitably led to disappointment.

 

The discounts back then really were crazy!

 

Your point, plus the engaged discussion created by each thread getting bumped through conversation (even with the gaming of the system that happened as a result), meant B&S felt like part of a genuine discussion forum, rather than simply a sales forum. And like aravenel has just said, it's impossible to just "drop in" on the board and find a particular class of item in your size, which limits its utility a lot.

 

Having said that, I still use B&S to sell off one or two things every now & then. Only my own stuff, rather than the NWT reselling I used to do, mind. But still, things do sell; it just takes a lot longer and/or with the need for more discounting.

 

I don't really mind the presence of lots of Affiliate threads, etc on the CM forum. Commercialisation and monetisation aren't bad words IMO. There's still the space for a decent regular thread, if someone started an interesting one.

post #33 of 88
Just my two'pennorth - I have an RSS feed set up for B&S so see everything through my feed reader. I subscribe to a few threads via the forum (and check them via the mobile interface) but mostly browse the rest using Google when I need to find something. The interface is just too busy otherwise.

On B&S specifically, I would suggest it's become more homogeneous and angled toward discounted NWT and a handful of larger-scale used flippers / sellers.
post #34 of 88
Heres my quick take.

I used to sell shitloads on B&S. I miss the vibe, the bumps and the general mood of B&S back in the day. It was so awesome. I used to refresh 15x a day waiting for a whus thread or an Aportnoy thread.

But things are different now.

B&S I check about once a week, sometimes less. But you can shop SO much more in CM. You can bump threads - all your favorite mega sellers (most anyway - me, edmorel, gdl203, malfordoflondon)) from back in the day maintain affiliate threads here - so you can still find your deals - you just have to look in different places.

Sometimes, the only way to be different is to stay the same.

This reminds me I need to do a closet clean.
post #35 of 88
as someone who used to sell fairly massive volumes, i think there's one primary answer, one that's already mentioned - the days of deep discounting NWT merchandise are over.

during the glory days of B&S the prices were truly ridiculous, and add to that the feeding frenzy PSA's when an e-tailer (or a B&M that took phone orders - these were the most hilarious) would try to clear shit out and get sledgehammered after someone posted a thread. people back then were very educated shoppers (still are) and they knew what a truly "oh shit" price was, and during the glory days, a great item was being offered at an "oh shit" price EVERY DAY. sometimes every hour on the weekends. the deals got so plentiful that i bet most of us who were around during those times increased their clothing budgets significantly (unreasonably?) because there were so many deals not to be passed up. i know i did - that's actually 100% of why i resold - to fund my own purchases. i never set anything aside, like Spoo did to get his Ferrari.

when i was selling, i knew that there was a price point at which i knew i could sell a NWT item pretty much immediately, as long as it was a desirable brand, color and size. John Lobb and EG at 5xx, RLPL suits at 5xx, Kiton/Charvet/Fray/Borrelli dress shirts in the very low 100's, and so on. i stayed away from Incotex because of fucking Daffy's and the expectations they created, though laugh.gif

the items being sold today are still great, but very seldom do i see the prices of yesterday. if someone were to sell something at those prices, i bet they will be snapped up just as fast.
post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

as someone who used to sell fairly massive volumes, i think there's one primary answer, one that's already mentioned - the days of deep discounting NWT merchandise are over.

during the glory days of B&S the prices were truly ridiculous, and add to that the feeding frenzy PSA's when an e-tailer (or a B&M that took phone orders - these were the most hilarious) would try to clear shit out and get sledgehammered after someone posted a thread. people back then were very educated shoppers (still are) and they knew what a truly "oh shit" price was, and during the glory days, a great item was being offered at an "oh shit" price EVERY DAY. sometimes every hour on the weekends. the deals got so plentiful that i bet most of us who were around during those times increased their clothing budgets significantly (unreasonably?) because there were so many deals not to be passed up. i know i did - that's actually 100% of why i resold - to fund my own purchases. i never set anything aside, like Spoo did to get his Ferrari.

when i was selling, i knew that there was a price point at which i knew i could sell a NWT item pretty much immediately, as long as it was a desirable brand, color and size. John Lobb and EG at 5xx, RLPL suits at 5xx, Kiton/Charvet/Fray/Borrelli dress shirts in the very low 100's, and so on. i stayed away from Incotex because of fucking Daffy's and the expectations they created, though laugh.gif

the items being sold today are still great, but very seldom do i see the prices of yesterday. if someone were to sell something at those prices, i bet they will be snapped up just as fast.

Lets take it back to 2010, H... you and me! We can make it baby!
post #37 of 88
dude....we may have come up together, but you're Lebron James. i'm Maverick Carter laugh.gif
post #38 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

dude....we may have come up together, but you're Lebron James. i'm Maverick Carter laugh.gif

I dont watch sports. Does that make me awesome and popular or the bad guy?
post #39 of 88
you Jay-Z and me Damon Dash?


meaning totally different levels of success - still, i didn't make quite as much money as Damon did, though
post #40 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

you Jay-Z and me Damon Dash?


meaning totally different levels of success - still, i didn't make quite as much money as Damon did, though

I get it now!

Did you know that Dr. Dre has made more money off of beats than he did ever with music?
post #41 of 88
Marlows are ugly as shit IMO.......never seen or understood the appeal of them.

I used to sell quite a bit of stuff before the site overhaul.......now, not so much.

Stay tuned for a clear-out of all the leftover items....hopefully someday soon.

Spoo.......can you help??
post #42 of 88

It's also hard to sort by region. Nearly every time I've bought something from the US I've been hit by massive (40%+) customs duties, so I simply don't do that anymore. If it were possible to sort on US/EU/Asia it would be much easier to find out what's for sale instead of browsing through several pages of items I wouldn't buy anyway.

post #43 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

Marlows are ugly as shit IMO.......never seen or understood the appeal of them.?

That's a new one...
post #44 of 88
Slow market, I've had a Cyril shearling for a ridiculously low price for a while, some random PMs but nobody pulls the trigger. Sure, it may be "overpriced" for the current market, but frankly just not willing to go any lower for a basically new jacket - I'll just wear it then.
post #45 of 88
Why? The ad is a total clusterf*ck.
I can't figure out what is priced and what.
Like how much are those boots?
What size does he have?
How about a photo, a description, size, and a price.
Sorry but seller is an illiterate idiot.
No sale.

Looks like all he's got are odd sizes that he got for dirt cheap.
Newflash, size 13 shoes are not very common.

Those spectator shoes are like a costume and can't be used for daily wear?
The shoes are ugly and tacky, that's why no one wants them.
Gatsby is so last spring...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Is this what the B&S Has Come To?