or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Paid for an item with paypal, then changed my mind. Seller refusing to cancel, any advice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paid for an item with paypal, then changed my mind. Seller refusing to cancel, any advice? - Page 2

post #16 of 35

Put it back on ebay, and hope someone like you buys it.

post #17 of 35

Ebay is good for selling and buying?

post #18 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post

Keep it, sell it, put it back on eBay, whatever, but [based on the fact pattern you've laid out above] if you do anything other than graciously accept the suit you bought and paid for, you're an asshole — straight up.

Wow why are you getting your panties in such a bunch?

It's very common to be able to return something. That's pretty basic american commerce. Not just the big box stores. The majority of individual sellers on ebay, small mom and pop stores. They have return policies.

Normally what happens? Somebody buys something. You package it up, spend 30min on USPS printing a label, treck to the post office drop it off. Then he returns it, and you have to go to the trouble of getting the package back, and ripping off the return label. The buyer pays return shipping. That's accepted practice.

In my case what kind of extra effort did I give this poor seller? He spent some time messaging me. That's pretty much it. Now compare that with being out $500 for something you don't want.

On top of it, I didn't exactly like the fact that he slipped in a little note about no returns on the bottom of his invoice (it was a paragraph long). The no return policy had never been discussed before.
post #19 of 35
The RedDevil is correct. You had agreed to buying the item, and did not check if return was accepted. Not buying it after committing is an asshole move. You argue being able to return is "basic American commerce", but don't you think knowing what you are buying and keeping your word are also basic American commerce? Besides, whether or not a seller accepts returns is a purely business decision, and has nothing to do with some American tradition or what not.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
jiFfM.jpg
post #21 of 35
You are the fool. Buyer's remorse so just enjoy it, returning something is not your 'right' nor is it "pretty basic American commerce", that's just you trying to justify it.

Give it a rest and don't make such a mistake again.
post #22 of 35
Do the right thing and just keep with your commitment.
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post
 

Keep it, sell it, put it back on eBay, whatever, but [based on the fact pattern you've laid out above] if you do anything other than graciously accept the suit you bought and paid for, you're an asshole — straight up.

 

+1

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetB View Post

+1

+2
post #25 of 35

if you re-sold it, you might make a small profit.   what is it exactly?

post #26 of 35
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure calling one an "asshole" and a "fool" and the myriad of other insults is necessary.Thanks everybody for making my day. Styleforum rocks.
post #27 of 35
No one called you an asshole. Everyone simply said if you committed to buying then go back on that promise, then you're an asshole. See how that's a conditional if-then statement? And someone who doesn't keep his word is an asshole, I think that's not a hard premise to accept. By the way, you said RedDevil got his "panties up in a bunch", and now you're complaining about StyleForum's attitude?
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylenewbie View Post

I'm not sure calling one an "asshole" and a "fool" and the myriad of other insults is necessary.Thanks everybody for making my day. Styleforum rocks.

 

The inherent danger in asking for advice is finding out you're wrong.  At any rate, my "insult" (read: the crowdsourced truth you asked for) was and, for all I know still is, contingent.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post

No one called you an asshole. Everyone simply said if you committed to buying then go back on that promise, then you're an asshole. See how that's a conditional if-then statement? And someone who doesn't keep his word is an asshole, I think that's not a hard premise to accept.
 
See? 
post #29 of 35
Thread Starter 
Yeah well eventually I let all the insults (and they were, come on guys no need to be snarky to try and justify it) get to me. Wish I had tougher skin, but I don't. Mother passed away a couple of months ago and still been dealing with it, so that may be a factor.
post #30 of 35
Maybe it's the lawyer in me, but I think the OP has a colorable argument that a "return" implies that the goods have left the seller's control, which is distinguishable from a "cancelled order." If the seller meant to include the latter, he should have said "ALL SALES FINAL." I would point this out to the seller and offer to pay a restocking fee for his troubles. If he refuses, chalk it up to experience and pay up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Paid for an item with paypal, then changed my mind. Seller refusing to cancel, any advice?