or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leaving Napoli soon- what to bring back??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leaving Napoli soon- what to bring back??

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

Hello all, I have been living in Napoli for almost 3 years now, but my time is winding down and I will be returning to the States this spring. 

 

I'm considering a business venture, so I wanted to know if you all had any ideas about what sort of Neapolitan things might be desirable in the US.  I am moving my household goods so I can add anything to my shipment and bring it over free of shipping restrictions and cost, so I could bring back 100 pair of shoes from Meccariello or 1000 ties from E. G. Cappelli and sell them for a modest profit. 

 

Any suggestions from folks who desire items they can't get?

 

I appreciate your input!

 

AmericanGent

post #2 of 34
Set up a partnership with some competent, but not that well-known and reasonably priced, Neapolitan bespoke tailors and shirtmakers - act as their U.S. agent, organize regular trunk shows in NYC (2-3x / yr) and mark-up their Neapolitan prices by 20-30%, keeping the profit for yourself.

Your role will essentially be confined to organizing the visits, acting as the American intermediary, and ensuring that the makers supply finished goods in a timely fashion.
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

Hello all, I have been living in Napoli for almost 3 years now, but my time is winding down and I will be returning to the States this spring. 

I'm considering a business venture, so I wanted to know if you all had any ideas about what sort of Neapolitan things might be desirable in the US.  I am moving my household goods so I can add anything to my shipment and bring it over free of shipping restrictions and cost, so I could bring back 100 pair of shoes from Meccariello or 1000 ties from E. G. Cappelli and sell them for a modest profit. 

Any suggestions from folks who desire items they can't get?

I appreciate your input!

AmericanGent

E. Marinella and E.G. Cappeli ties and Carlo Barbera RIVA shirt fabric in 2 4 meter cut lengths. Pick conservative colors (or allow people to pick specific style numbers) I'd be your first customer for the shirting.
Edited by jerrybrowne - 12/4/13 at 11:12am
post #4 of 34
+1 - I like the idea of selling cut shirt lengths. Riva, Bonfanti?
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post

+1 - I like the idea of selling cut shirt lengths. Riva, Bonfanti?

Bonfanti is great stuff, although they sell direct. Riva is just impossible to get in the states without being grossly overcharged.
post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric View Post

Set up a partnership with some competent, but not that well-known and reasonably priced, Neapolitan bespoke tailors and shirtmakers - act as their U.S. agent, organize regular trunk shows in NYC (2-3x / yr) and mark-up their Neapolitan prices by 20-30%, keeping the profit for yourself.

Your role will essentially be confined to organizing the visits, acting as the American intermediary, and ensuring that the makers supply finished goods in a timely fashion.

 

This is a great idea, and I know that others are doing this sort of thing.  I have met a few small time local tailors here, still working on it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post


E. Marinella and E.G. Cappeli ties and Carlo Barbera shirt fabric in 2 4 meter cut lengths. Pick conservative colors (or allow people to pick specific style numbers) I'd be your first customer for the shirting.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post


Bonfanti is great stuff, although they sell direct. Riva is just impossible to get in the states without being grossly overcharged.

Thanks JB-

I see that Cappeli ties are available online, how is the availability for Marinella ties?  What is pricing like?

I love Riva fabric- How are the prices there per meter? 

I think I might actually have a line on some Carlo Barbera at wholesale prices- I'll have to investigate it further. 

 

Would selling via SF be best or would it be wise to set-up my own site and accept Pay Pal?

I'm not much of an entrepreneur. 

 

 

 

post #7 of 34
I'd also include fabrics from Caccioppoli as they're not readily available for purchase outside of Napoli.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

E. Marinella and E.G. Cappeli ties and Carlo Barbera shirt fabric in 2 4 meter cut lengths. Pick conservative colors (or allow people to pick specific style numbers) I'd be your first customer for the shirting.

I wasn't aware that CB even made shirting. Do you mean suiting? If not,,have you seen or used the stuff yourself? If so, what are your impressions? Do you know how to source it?
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

I wasn't aware that CB even made shirting. Do you mean suiting? If not,,have you seen or used the stuff yourself? If so, what are your impressions? Do you know how to source it?

Sorry, I meant Carlo Riva (I've fixed the error above).
post #10 of 34
Thread Starter 

I knew what you meant!  Is CB hard to get back home? 

post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

I'd also include fabrics from Caccioppoli as they're not readily available for purchase outside of Napoli.


This can be purchased on Ebay fwiw.

post #12 of 34
Riva shirting. Carlo Barbera fabric.

But most importantly, da Michele pizza.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

This is a great idea, and I know that others are doing this sort of thing.  I have met a few small time local tailors here, still working on it!


Thanks JB-
I see that Cappeli ties are available online, how is the availability for Marinella ties?  What is pricing like?
I love Riva fabric- How are the prices there per meter? 
I think I might actually have a line on some Carlo Barbera at wholesale prices- I'll have to investigate it further. 

Would selling via SF be best or would it be wise to set-up my own site and accept Pay Pal?
I'm not much of an entrepreneur. 



Here is a guide for Riva shirting. This is the only place I know of in the US that sells.

http://asuitablewardrobe.gostorego.com/clothing/shirting/carlo-riva-lino-arsenal-shirting.html

Basically $49 per half meter, and since these are 90 cm wide they require 3.5 meters or $343 for a shirt. Only comes in blue or white. Nice though.

Carlo Barbera at wholesale prices would also be nice as it is also hard to find in the US.

You should PM some of the folks that started their ecommerce sites on SF. They would tell you what the pros and cons are.
post #14 of 34
^ Your math is incorrect. What Will refers to as a 'half-meter' corresponds to the 90cm width (as opposed to the standard 150cm). You need only 3m for a shirt, unless you're unusually large - that equates to $147.

Not cheap, but certainly not as astronomical as your calc.
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric View Post

^ Your math is incorrect. What Will refers to as a 'half-meter' corresponds to the 90cm width (as opposed to the standard 150cm). You need only 3m for a shirt, unless you're unusually large - that equates to $147.

Not cheap, but certainly not as astronomical as your calc.


This is what his website says;


" Renowned for its lightness, breathability and subdued character, Carlo Riva shirting is the principal offering of the best Italian shirtmakers (including Kiton, Mimmo Siviglia and Anna Matuozzo) but very difficult to find in North America.

A mix of 60% linen and 40% Egyptian Ginza cotton and linen, Carlo Riva's Lino Arsenal is lightly textured, feels like voile without the transparency, presses beautifully, resists wrinkles and lasts for many years without sign of wear. It is not inexpensive but will provide pleasure for many years to come.

Hand wash or cold water machine wash on the delicate cycle and hang dry.

Offered by the half meter, three meters of this 90 cm wide cloth is required for a shirt (large men, or shirts with patch pockets may require 3.5 meters - please check with your shirtmaker)."

So even if you only needed 3 meters wouldn't that be $49 X 6 = $294 (there are 6 half-meters in 3 meters)?
Edited by jerrybrowne - 12/4/13 at 7:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leaving Napoli soon- what to bring back??