• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funny article about "going out" shirts

millionaire75

Reaction score
Throw Out the "Go-Out" Shirt
What makes you think a loud shirt that's inappropriate by day will look cool unbottoned after hours? Plus: Watch the video escapades of real-life fashion offenders; and sound off about this troubling style trend in the comment section.
-By Katherine Wheelock

Photos: WireImage.com (10), INF (2), Photofest (1), Corbis (1), Getty (1)

No doubt you've earned a night out. All week you rose at a painfully early hour, dutifully tied a four-in-hand, and headed off to an airless office. You deserve to let loose. There's a cocktail for that. There is not, contrary to what guys streaming into velvet-roped clubs on Saturday nights seem to think, a shirt for that.

"You can tell it's the shirt the guy saves for the weekends," designer John Bartlett says. "You get the feeling it has hair gel stains on it from the last time he went out."

You can spot this article of clothing through whiskey goggles from 50 yards away. It's a button-down shirt, usually untucked and always in a print"”multicolored stripes, paisley, florals"”or a solid color with a slight sheen. If it could speak, the Go-Out Shirt would say what the man wearing it is burning to blurt out"”"Yes, I sell mutual funds for a living, but I'm a really fun guy!"

"There's nothing more repulsive than a shirt that's supposed to say 'I'm fun,'" says Paul Stura, a New York stylist who's dressed Heath Ledger and Daniel Craig. "And it always looks like it's a 'blouse of the week' from a chain like Mexx or Cignal."

"A 'Friday-night shirt' is usually worn by somebody really young," says Jeffrey Kalinsky, owner of Jeffrey in New York and Atlanta. "They're also worn by someone older who's trying to look young"”someone who just got out of a relationship."

If you see nothing embarrassing about laying naked your enthusiasm"”your desperation, really"”for a night that ends in cherry bombs and a good groping, then by all means, keep reserving one shirt in your closet for after 8 p.m., an eggplant one with shiny pinstripes, even. Go ahead and walk home from work humming "Everybody's workin' for the weekend" and pumping your fists in the air while you're at it.

But know that admitting you draw an imaginary line in your closet between your "work" clothes and your "play" clothes or your "business" shirts and your "dress" shirts is like announcing that Mommy laid out your clothes for you. You're not a parochial-school kid forced to button himself into a uniform every day. You're a grown man who knows very well that there's a vast middle ground between an outfit appropriate for a meeting with Sumner Redstone and one suited for happy hour.

"The lines have been so blurred between work and weekend," Bartlett says. "I don't make a big distinction between my everyday clothes and my going-out clothes." That's not a lament about sloppiness; it's an encouraging appraisal of men's fashion. What you wear to work, you can go out in without looking like a stiff. Undo a button. Take off the jacket. Change into jeans. Just don't put on a shirt flattered only by the rosy neon glow of club lights. You're going to look awfully silly when no one's up for Red Bulls and vodka after dinner anyway.

http://men.style.com/details/blogs/t...he_g.html#more

dare-

Reaction score
I started going out to clubs a lot last year. At first, I just wore the shirts I wore during during the day with black dress pants and fairly sleek black dress shoes, but not so nice that I wasn't afraid to have someone throw-up all over them. The people I went out with (2 girls and another guy...fellow graduate students) didn't comment when we went out, but I completely felt like a duck out of water. Partly because I have no idea what I was doing out on the dance floor--just gyrating randomly (see Humpty dance, early 90s)--and partly because the other guys were wearing these shirts with elaborate designs on them. So, one of the girls I was with went to the mall with me to Express. They had a large bin of these elaborate shirts--on sale for 12.99. After digging through them, and rejecting a fair number of suggestions ("this would look nice on you"), I selected a fairly subdued grey with a diamond design.

I wore the shirt (untucked) the next time we went out. Long story short, I don't think I ever received more complements on a piece of clothing from girls I didn't know than on that night....I felt like a complete jackass. I really don't go out that much anymore.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dare-
I started going out to clubs a lot last year. At first, I just wore the shirts I wore during during the day with black dress pants and fairly sleek black dress shoes, but not so nice that I wasn't afraid to have someone throw-up all over them. The people I went out with (2 girls and another guy...fellow graduate students) didn't comment when we went out, but I completely felt like a duck out of water. Partly because I have no idea what I was doing out on the dance floor--just gyrating randomly (see Humpty dance, early 90s)--and partly because the other guys were wearing these shirts with elaborate designs on them. So, one of the girls I was with went to the mall with me to Express. They had a large bin of these elaborate shirts--on sale for 12.99. After digging through them, and rejecting a fair number of suggestions ("this would look nice on you"), I selected a fairly subdued grey with a diamond design.

I wore the shirt (untucked) the next time we went out. Long story short, I don't think I ever received more complements on a piece of clothing from girls I didn't know than on that night....I felt like a complete jackass. I really don't go out that much anymore.

you let a girl shop for you?
cry.gif

I get dragged out to clubs by my friends pretty much every weekend...my god, the things you see.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a "going out" shirt, it's a T&A with dark blue, dark yellow, light blue, and light yellow stripes on a white base. But I also wear it with a coat and tie, so I don't feel so bad.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good enough excuse, my friend.

My "going out" shirt is just a black short-sleeve button down. Nothing special.

JB

WSW

Reaction score
Mine is a striped piece with LV, Gucci and Armani written with cubic zirconian all across the front and back. The stripes are rabbit dyed orange.
I too get alot of compliments from unfamiliar women.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dare-
What can I say? She was hot.

Sometimes I wonder who the guys here are dressing for. If she is hot and going to sleep with you and wants you to wear a shiny silver silk shirt with yellow daisies on it, do it.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WSW
Mine is a striped piece with LV, Gucci and Armani written with cubic zirconian all across the front and back. The stripes are rabbit dyed orange.
I too get alot of compliments from unfamiliar women.

How does that look with the feathered hat and cane?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Sometimes I wonder who the guys here are dressing for. If she is hot and going to sleep with you and wants you to wear a shiny silver silk shirt with yellow daisies on it, do it.
Sellout.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I think you misspelled "wise man".
tounge.gif

No, because when girls take you shopping, that means they see you as a non-sexual being. Someone who give them advice on that cute little babydoll top from Forever 21, and not a friend with benefits.

Take it from someone who knows.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if you would have worn the silver flower shirt under normal conditions, without outside influence?
blush.gif

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads