• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Apartment

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Was so excited that I didn't take any pics of it...but I'll try to get some before I start doing anything to it for a before/after session. Looked all over Tribeca, Chelsea, West Village and even a bit of SoHo...lol and ended up falling for something around Lincoln Center.

Stay tuned because I have some great things that I want to do with all the exposed brick!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Europan every day! Yum!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What sort of scheme? Perhaps '60s, the Atomic Age?

Not sure...when I live in LA I had kind of a "modern Astro Lounge" thing going on. This has A LOT of exposed brick and high ceilings so I'm not sure what might happen. I'm feeling like lucite and glass to play against the brick.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
I love the brick indoors look. I just got my first place in Chicago and was trying to find one but it isn't very common here. What kind of building is it?

p.s. Do you own yelp or just a site you frequent? I just found it a couple of days ago and its got some really cool features.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
No I don't own Yelp...just on the "Elite Squad."

Went to DWR and ordered:
Pietro Arosio Slidng Sofa in beige (looks ivory)
3 Bertoia counter stools with black seat pads
2 Barcelona chairs in chocolate
Tri color cowhide rug

Looking for a "fun" chair and debating between:
The Ripple Chair in bright yellow
http://www.moroso.it/home_moroso.php...model=146&l=en
Eames LCW in red
http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=0115
The Mademoiselle by Starck in either b/w Missoni or black patent embossed croc
http://hivemodern.com/products/?view...d=183&cid2=184

In a few days ordering abou 500 sq. ft. of diamond plate aluminum for the floors.

Lamps, side tables, wall stuff will worry about next week.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great choices so far. The ripple chair looks hideous to me though. Pairing an LCW with two Barcelonas looks a bit too much straight outta the catalog. Also it isn't that comfortable as a true lounge chair. Love the Mademoiselle; one of my favorite fairly recent Starck pieces. How about a Saarinen Tulip with arms? http://www.gabrielross.com/knoll-eer...rms-p-115.html

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
I love the brick indoors look. I just got my first place in Chicago and was trying to find one but it isn't very common here.

Yes, very rare, like hot dogs stands, pizza parlors and crooked politicians.
rolleyes.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Something abou the Tulip reminds me of Picard's chair on the Enterprise. I think I'm leaning towards the Missoni Mad in black/white because I've liked it for a while and will still pop which is why I wanted the red LCW.

I hope the floor comes out the way I'm thinking it should which with the exposed brick walls will be a great palette for the furniture. The sofa and chairs are great neutrals that I can spice up with a throw or a pillow and other little accents...maybe a Kartel optic cube or diamond cut side table...the bright chair, etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
No I don't own Yelp...just on the "Elite Squad."

Went to DWR and ordered:
Pietro Arosio Slidng Sofa in beige (looks ivory)
3 Bertoia counter stools with black seat pads
2 Barcelona chairs in chocolate
Tri color cowhide rug

Looking for a "fun" chair and debating between:
The Ripple Chair in bright yellow
http://www.moroso.it/home_moroso.php...model=146&l=en
Eames LCW in red
http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=0115
The Mademoiselle by Starck in either b/w Missoni or black patent embossed croc
http://hivemodern.com/products/?view...d=183&cid2=184

In a few days ordering abou 500 sq. ft. of diamond plate aluminum for the floors.

Lamps, side tables, wall stuff will worry about next week.

you could try less "common" modern furniture.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
you could try less "common" modern furniture.

"Could"

The Barcelonas aren't my favorite. I wanted to the LC4 Chaise in cowhide or the La Chaise; but, my Dad insisted on the rug and 2 chairs and since it was he who was plopping down the Visa I wasn't going to argue.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you starting from scratch?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
"Could"

The Barcelonas aren't my favorite. I wanted to the LC4 Chaise in cowhide or the La Chaise; but, my Dad insisted on the rug and 2 chairs and since it was he who was plopping down the Visa I wasn't going to argue.

Understood. He is probably right in the long run. We had an LC4 in our bedroom for a long time and as beautiful as it is, it serves very little functional purpose. IMO, I would probably not get the LCW as with the rest of what you have it would start to look like a greatest hits from the classic modern area set-up. The other two are both interesting, and I am a big believer in the way Kartell and others use plastic, but one must be very careful to avoid looking like you could only get something plastic rather than that was what you wanted. I don't know your budget, and this chair is both more expensive and usually needs to be ordered, but I like it both for the incorporation of the Vernor Panton fabric (obviously optional), the shape which will blend well in the more classicly modern setting, and the overall beauty of its form.
12112.BA17A1C6.jpg

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is one of my favorite side tables (sporting some FAMs). It has a butcherblock style construction; adds a lot of warmth and texture to contrast a stark or minimal chair. From Linteloo, Netherlands:
6b3v0ix.jpg

milosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Here is one of my favorite side tables (sporting some FAMs). It has a butcherblock style construction; adds a lot of warmth and texture to contrast a stark or minimal chair. From Linteloo, Netherlands:

6b3v0ix.jpg

Any pics where you see more of the table and less of the FAMs? Beautifull shoes btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads