or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 42

post #616 of 5129
I don't know what ya'll talking bout I stole dozens of cars as a child miscreant.
post #617 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I knew some kids who go busted for selling heroin of all things in high school. They're probably still in prison.

I'd bet they aren't. I mean, at least, I bet they're not still in prison for that.

If you're really curious your state probably has an online database of prisoners.
post #618 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

It's pretty close. I'll try to find a transcript.

EDIT

“The only difference is that I grew up in an environment that was a little bit more forgiving. So when I made a mistake, the consequences were not as severe."

It seems that CNN botched it, as usual:
Quote:
And the point was I could see myself in these young men. And the only difference is that I grew up in an environment that was a little bit more forgiving, so when I made a mistake the consequences were not as severe. I had people who encouraged me -- not just my mom and grandparents, but wonderful teachers and community leaders -- and they’d push me to work hard and study hard and make the most of myself. And if I didn’t listen they said it again. And if I didn’t listen they said it a third time. And they would give me second chances, and third chances. They never gave up on me, and so I didn’t give up on myself.

I told these young men my story then, and I repeat it now because I firmly believe that every child deserves the same chances that I had. And that’s why we’re here today -- to do what we can, in this year of action, to give more young Americans the support they need to make good choices, and to be resilient, and to overcome obstacles, and achieve their dreams.
post #619 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

The reason that suicide sticks out to many denominations of Christianity is because one cannot ask for forgiveness for committing it. It's the only true unforgivable sin. Of course not everyone believes this, but that's how it was taught to me growing up with a diverse Christian upbringing.

it's not true tho. most denominations of christianity now understand that generally when people commit suicide there is a context that can mitigate culpability. the thing is with catholics thats a statement i can definitely say but most protestants are somewhat independent in theology of whatever governing body there is. i'm sure there are some churches lead by pastors who don't agree with me but most governing bodies say that suicide isn't unforgivable in case of mental anguish or the like

the only true unforgiven sin would be not believing in god and christ as your savior
post #620 of 5129
Also, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin. It isn't okay to blaspheme against the son and father but those are forgivable. I never truly understood this.
post #621 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I'd bet they aren't. I mean, at least, I bet they're not still in prison for that.

If you're really curious your state probably has an online database of prisoners.

I use mine for dating.
post #622 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

it's not true tho. most denominations of christianity now understand that generally when people commit suicide there is a context that can mitigate culpability. the thing is with catholics thats a statement i can definitely say but most protestants are somewhat independent in theology of whatever governing body there is. i'm sure there are some churches lead by pastors who don't agree with me but most governing bodies say that suicide isn't unforgivable in case of mental anguish or the like

the only true unforgiven sin would be not believing in god and christ as your savior

Eh, my experience says otherwise. It's what I was taught growing up and I have experience with several denominations of the Christian church. As I said, not everyone believes this but I think it's naive to think it's not part of a larger teaching even going on today.
post #623 of 5129
Look, just survive till 2030 and we'll all have sexy bodies and live forever. I don't see what's so hard about this.
post #624 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Look, just survive till 2030 and we'll all have sexy bodies and live forever. I don't see what's so hard about this.

I wonder if during the transfer to the sexy robot bodies we would lose ourselves.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the "Star Trek" like teleportation beam argument to where the way it works is radiation would destroy all your particles in order to copy them and then reproduce them elsewhere. The original you would be blown to smitherines and a replacement "exact copy" of you would remain.
post #625 of 5129
why not just make many many copies of yourself and dominate the world?
post #626 of 5129
Because blah blah technobabble.
post #627 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

why not just make many many copies of yourself and dominate the world?
This might work. And far better than just cloning and waiting for your genetic replicas to grow up. They will spring forth fully clad with your thoughts and beliefs and no error factors a la Boys From Brazil.
post #628 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan17 View Post

I wonder if during the transfer to the sexy robot bodies we would lose ourselves.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the "Star Trek" like teleportation beam argument to where the way it works is radiation would destroy all your particles in order to copy them and then reproduce them elsewhere. The original you would be blown to smitherines and a replacement "exact copy" of you would remain.

An exact copy is not a copy, it is the thing itself.
post #629 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Apparently graffiti is not art...at least when it's painted on Spike Lee's family home.
post #630 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

An exact copy is not a copy, it is the thing itself.

you just have to get your other selves to agree with you to dominate the world
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob