or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 333

post #4981 of 5129
My wife teaches special kids . Your mom is probably onto something
post #4982 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesity-research-confirms-long-term-weight-loss-almost-impossible-1.2663585

The "experts" in obesity (quotes as psychologists and lawyers are being presented as authorities) state that all the data indicates long term weight loss is a chimera. They go so far as to speak extensively that anyone who actually experiences long term weight loss (over five years) is an outlier and probably doesn't really exist or is lying. Once you're a landwhale you're always going to be fat.

Well, sure. If you don't make grandiose, definitive statements nobody is interested.

End of college/beginning of law school I dropped about 30 pounds, maybe a few more.

Once I entered the workforce and began my slow, sad slide into middle age, I gained back about 5 of those pounds and then remained basically steady for the next 20+ years. Depending on whether I've been exercising regularly my weight will general fluctuate about 5-6 pounds but the center of gravity, so to speak, is still a good 25 pounds less than where I "started". And even if I become a complete sloth I doubt I'd gain it all back. I don't know that I eat all that much less than I did back in the day, but I do eat a lot healthier.

I can afford more and better booze, though, which is one complicating factor.


NB: If the conclusion is about truly obese people, my anecdotal experience isn't really relevant. I was chunky (6'1", 200 soft pounds) but not morbidly obese.
post #4983 of 5129
I wanted to try and lose some weight since I started with a new endocrinologist about a year ago. I wanted to lower my a1c levels and try to lose a few (maybe 10) pounds. Almost 1 year ago (4 visits) and my weight has been the exact same number every time. She laughed it off and said "Maintaining is just as good". How do I hit that same number every time? Even hourly weights can fluctuate. I guess the only good matter is my a1c is now in the "controlled" category. Win!

/weight thread
post #4984 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesity-research-confirms-long-term-weight-loss-almost-impossible-1.2663585

The "experts" in obesity (quotes as psychologists and lawyers are being presented as authorities) state that all the data indicates long term weight loss is a chimera. They go so far as to speak extensively that anyone who actually experiences long term weight loss (over five years) is an outlier and probably doesn't really exist or is lying. Once you're a landwhale you're always going to be fat.
Quote:
Only about five per cent of people who try to lose weight ultimately succeed, according to the research.

Honestly, from the hordes of people I see at the gym with shitty workouts and even shittier diets (e.g. I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 2.5 mph and now get to treat myself to a 500 calorie juice smoothie), I'm not that surprised.

It feels good to be an outlier though. ~65 pounds down from my peak and I've kept them off for going on 17 years.
post #4985 of 5129
Thread Starter 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/woman-told-by-the-body-shop-to-wear-full-face-of-makeup-to-job-interview-turns-it-down-1.3768927

Holy shit, patriarchy.

Woman refuses to go to a job interview for a make up store as the dress code for an interview includes wearing make up.
post #4986 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/woman-told-by-the-body-shop-to-wear-full-face-of-makeup-to-job-interview-turns-it-down-1.3768927

Holy shit, patriarchy.

Woman refuses to go to a job interview for a make up store as the dress code for an interview includes wearing make up.

That's ridiculous. If it's the first interview, how do they know she needs make-up? Some chicks have a natural beauty.
post #4987 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

That's ridiculous. If it's the first interview, how do they know she needs make-up? Some chicks have a natural beauty.

"Natural Beauties" need not apply.
post #4988 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post



Honestly, from the hordes of people I see at the gym with shitty workouts and even shittier diets (e.g. I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 2.5 mph and now get to treat myself to a 500 calorie juice smoothie), I'm not that surprised.

It feels good to be an outlier though. ~65 pounds down from my peak and I've kept them off for going on 17 years.

 

I always laugh because my gym has a smoothy bar.  What percentage of people go have a shake or smoothie or whatever that is at least as many calories as their workout?  People make fun of Planet Fitness for some of that stuff, but all these chains are happy to sell you a bunch of "healthy" beverages.  Thee smoothy bars even advertise their muscle building/weight loss benefits.

post #4989 of 5129
Lots of people "work out" these days, but it's just more to check off a box than to actually accomplish anything.

I'm always amazed that people are ok with coming in to the gym a couple times a week but never making any progress. It's a little different if you're older and just trying to maintain, but I see lots of 20-30 year olds just coming in and going through the motions over and over again. 20-30 minutes on the elliptical (always the elliptical), then some half-assed weight routine on the machines. They all seem to love the pec-fly machine.
post #4990 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Lots of people "work out" these days, but it's just more to check off a box than to actually accomplish anything.

I'm always amazed that people are ok with coming in to the gym a couple times a week but never making any progress. It's a little different if you're older and just trying to maintain, but I see lots of 20-30 year olds just coming in and going through the motions over and over again. 20-30 minutes on the elliptical (always the elliptical), then some half-assed weight routine on the machines. They all seem to love the pec-fly machine.

 

Stop describing me.  Seriously though, I go 3-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes alternating between cardio and weights though for cardio I normally do stairs or rowing.  On the weight side, I have definitely seen some strength gain.  I'm in and out though - no screwing around, chatting, anything.

post #4991 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Don't diss the workout an elliptical will give you if employed properly. I had to change off the tread mill due to some chronic plantar fasciitis and the elliptical is a far more intense workout. When you walk or run each leg will get momentary rest whereas your quads in particular are always under load with the elliptical. It's also better with cardio, and as mine has the upper body portion too, I use it to warm up my chest prior to benching.

Speaking of benching...just moved from 4x10 to 5x5. Holy fuck! An instant 30# more working out with.
post #4992 of 5129
There's nothing wrong with either the elliptical or machines, they just seem way more common among people who half-ass their workouts than either treadmills or free weights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Stop describing me.  Seriously though, I go 3-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes alternating between cardio and weights though for cardio I normally do stairs or rowing.  On the weight side, I have definitely seen some strength gain.  I'm in and out though - no screwing around, chatting, anything.

There's this dude at my gym who comes in every pretty frequently. All I've ever seen him do is the leg extension and hamstring curl machines, and he's on each machine for 20+ minutes at a time. Does a set (with like...30 lbs) then dicks around on his phone for a couple minutes.

The best part is that he makes a point to wear a weight belt the entire time. And he wears it around his hips.
post #4993 of 5129
Thread Starter 
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37423901

High school football coach that takes a knee for the national anthem. It's a good read even though I'm still dubious about the protest.
post #4994 of 5129
September 23, 2016


Jesus Christ... what the hell Gary Johnson.
post #4995 of 5129
Maybe Gary understands that he's not really a serious candidate, so he might as well have some fun with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob