or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 297

post #4441 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


No, that's totally legit.
The fact that I was mocking you doesn't mean I disagree with anything you said.

 

I know.  We're homies. :fistbump:

post #4442 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post


I don't know what level of detail you're looking for but have you checked http://www.hillaryclinton.com ? You probably won't agree with quite a bit, I don't know, but there are more specifics there...

 

I want things like policy white papers.  If she's a wonk, let's see it.  I obviously don't agree with her positions.  I am willing to bet even if I did agree with her on some policy position, it would for completely different reasons.

Here's an example on her website under the issues tabs. It is three bullets with one or two sentences each.  That's an executive summary at best. 

Quote:
 

Hillary is calling for aggressive campaign finance reform to end the stranglehold that wealthy interests have over our political system and restore a government of, by, and for the people—not just the wealthy and well-connected. Her proposals will curb the outsized influence of big money in American politics, shine a light on secret spending, and institute real reforms to raise the voices of regular voters.

Hillary will:

  • Overturn Citizens United. Hillary will appoint Supreme Court justices who value the right to vote over the right of billionaires to buy elections. She’ll push for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United in order to restore the role of everyday voters in elections.

  • End secret, unaccountable money in politics. Hillary will push for legislation to require outside groups to publicly disclose significant political spending. And until Congress acts, she'll sign an executive order requiring federal government contractors to do the same. Hillary will also promote an SEC rule requiring publicly traded companies to disclose political spending to shareholders.

  • Amplify the voices of everyday Americans. Hillary will establish a small-donor matching system for presidential and congressional elections to incentivize small donors to participate in elections, and encourage candidates to spend more time engaging a representative cross-section of voters.


Dude why do you gotta complicate things why can't you just hate her because Bill or because you heard somewhere she's a domineering bitch.Its good enough for real 'muricans

There was a period in the 70s when the only contact I had with media were the writings of Dr Hunter S Thompson and a subscription to National Lampoon magazine . As a result I have great respect for the viewpoint of this individual and here is his take on it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/11/p-j-o-rourke-i-m-endorsing-hillary-clinton-the-devil-we-know.html


Edited by Numbernine - 6/4/16 at 4:18pm
post #4443 of 5117
Hillary gets more corporate money than anyone running. I wouldn't count on her to get corporate money out of politics.
post #4444 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

 

I want things like policy white papers.  If she's a wonk, let's see it.

 

There are dozens of long policy statements on her web site on a bunch of different topics:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/

 

You're a veteran, right? I just pulled one example on "Supporting Our Veterans, Troops, and Their Families." It's about 5,000 words.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2015/11/11/supporting-our-veterans-troops-and-their-families/

post #4445 of 5117
post #4446 of 5117
post #4447 of 5117

I skimmed this post and had watched that episode (because NdGT was on) and it's not entirely how it went down. Maher very much acknowledged that Rs don't have a monopoly on anti-science, and mentioned the vaccines issue, but the "mountain of bs in his own backyard" is what he takes issue with because, he says, it's a relative measure. One is a molehill compared to the other's mountain, or, as he said Friday, "size matters."
post #4448 of 5117
Yeah I had not had a chance to watch the video yet. Thanks for the correction and I will check it out when I can.
post #4449 of 5117

Neither side has a monopoly on anti-science, and to even say one side is worse than the other is a bit laughable.  We all like science when it confirms what we believe.

post #4450 of 5117
Just to be clear, when we say "science" we mean self-satisfied Michael Moore-ish Youtube videos, right?
post #4451 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Neither side has a monopoly on anti-science, and to even say one side is worse than the other is a bit laughable.  We all like science when it confirms what we believe.

I'm just paraphrasing what he actually said (rather than what the article purports) and that is that conservatives are bigger deniers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Just to be clear, when we say "science" we mean self-satisfied Michael Moore-ish Youtube videos, right?

Dunno about you but this is not what I'm talking about
post #4452 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post


Dunno about you but this is not what I'm talking about

Oh, I know. I was just being facetious, mocking the inconsistent level of discourse here and on the interwebz generally. It was associatively occasioned by, but not particularly targeted at, your discussion with brokencycle.
post #4453 of 5117

Jet fuel doesn't even burn hot enough to melt steel.

post #4454 of 5117
I've posted this to the Cesspool in the past.

post #4455 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Mouse, that was a good video and completely caught me off guard. Glad you reposted it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob