or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 289

post #4321 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Can you name 3 differences between black and white?


I never mentioned black or white but maybe this wasn't adressed to me , if so nvm

post #4322 of 5117
It was addressed to you. Pick two races and name three differences.
post #4323 of 5117
Skin color, hair texture, and skull shape--or is that cheating?
post #4324 of 5117
 Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

It was addressed to you. Pick two races and name three differences.


Understanding that the concept of race is a social and historical construct based on commonalities ,any commonalities that any two groups do not share within that particular construct would by definition be differences. If you are looking for some sort of universal commonalities existent outside of that context and intrinsic in nature  like say the difference between a red oak and a loblolly pine you will have to look to science . Science has denied the existence of such a thing for quite some time

post #4325 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Can you name 3 differences between black and white?
Relative likelihood to be incarcerated, drop out of high school, or live below the poverty line.
post #4326 of 5117
Average size of behind favoured by males?

I love how the "IQ and blacks knowwhatImean, I'm so courageous I've talked about it teehee!" dudes are coming out of the woodwork once again. They basically get a little erection everytime they get to do that.
post #4327 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbernine View Post


Understanding that the concept of race is a social and historical construct based on commonalities ,any commonalities that any two groups do not share within that particular construct would by definition be differences. If you are looking for some sort of universal commonalities existent outside of that context and intrinsic in nature  like say the difference between a red oak and a loblolly pine you will have to look to science . Science has denied the existence of such a thing for quite some time


Thank you for answering my query.
post #4328 of 5117
Thread Starter 
LOL @ BBC liberal bias headline:
Quote:
Austria 'rejects far-right president, electing Van der Bellen'


It was a two man race and the "far-right" guy got 48% of the vote. That's not much of a rejection IMO.
post #4329 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Average size of behind favoured by males?

I love how the "IQ and blacks knowwhatImean, I'm so courageous I've talked about it teehee!" dudes are coming out of the woodwork once again. They basically get a little erection everytime they get to do that.

I'd venture to say that i am probably one of few ,if any, on this forum that lived in the Jim Crow south. You would be amazed at how familiar it all sounds when they do this

post #4330 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Average size of behind favoured by males?

I love how the "IQ and blacks knowwhatImean, I'm so courageous I've talked about it teehee!" dudes are coming out of the woodwork once again. They basically get a little erection everytime they get to do that.

You know I don't buy into the tripartite concept of race but are you taking issue with the data or with the people pointing it out?
post #4331 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

You know I don't buy into the tripartite concept of race but are you taking issue with the data or with the people pointing it out?

There's a third (tripartite) possibility you've left out. It's how people purport to "use" it when they point it out. Shall we have another thirty pages of Turk arguing that IQ tests prove whites are more intelligent than blacks regardless of how one understands the concept of "intelligence" because "I" stands for IQ and since IQ results are one of the many things that some people choose to use as indicators of their chosen definition of intelligence if there were any other way of conceptualizing intelligence why isn't it on the IQ test huh?
Edited by lawyerdad - 5/23/16 at 9:55am
post #4332 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

There's a third (tripartite) possibility you've left out. It's how people purport to "use" it when they point it out. Shall we have another thirty pages of Turk arguing that IQ tests prove whites are more intelligent than blacks regardless of how one understands the concept of "intelligence" because "I" stands for IQ and since IQ results are one of the many things that some people choose to use as indicators of their chosen definition of intelligence because if there were any other way of conceptualizing intelligence why isn't it on the IQ test huh?

I feel this is a shallow dismissal. I say this as measuring IQ today is hardly a narrowly focused thing as the conceptualization of IQ has done nothing but expand and become more nuanced. While the "G Factor" is still acknowledged it's broken out into a list of sub-categories from "crystallized" to visual to auditory processing to processing speed. It seems to me under the catch all of "IQ" there is now a group of different conceptualizations and they combine to produce a general quantification.

However, as Eric is so kind to remind me, I'm rather a know nothing myself so this is probably all nonsense. He raises a good point though as everyone knows the average AZN is smarter than the average haole...and I'm not even close to average on my best day. frown.gif
post #4333 of 5117
I don't remember that particular thread, but I'll certainly concede that reasonable people could disagree about the extent to which IQ tests measure intelligence, especially if one wants to start talking about alternate forms of intelligence, whatever those may be. Of course, lawyerdad doesn't point to some alternative method of quantifying intelligence that reaches a different result than suggested by IQ tests, but that's not really the point -- which is that the most commonly accepted way of measuring intelligence supports the conclusion that the authors of the study dismiss as racist.
post #4334 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I feel this is a shallow dismissal. I say this as measuring IQ today is hardly a narrowly focused thing as the conceptualization of IQ has done nothing but expand and become more nuanced. While the "G Factor" is still acknowledged it's broken out into a list of sub-categories from "crystallized" to visual to auditory processing to processing speed. It seems to me under the catch all of "IQ" there is now a group of different conceptualizations and they combine to produce a general quantification.

However, as Eric is so kind to remind me, I'm rather a know nothing myself so this is probably all nonsense. He raises a good point though as everyone knows the average AZN is smarter than the average haole...and I'm not even close to average on my best day. frown.gif
I'm sorry you feel that, but your feel is wrong, bro.
Your response to mine is something of a non-sequitur, and I'm not even clear on what I'm supposedly dismissing. The quote above seems to concern the second of the two choices you posited, not the third one I offered.

1. There is data.
2. What that data demonstrates and what inferences can be draw from the data can be the subject of reasonable, intellectually honest disagreement.
3. People can also cite the data as part of circular otherwise intellectually dishonest arguments, or simply stupid arguments or insinuations.

In this thread and elsewhere, people do #3 while claiming to do #2. That's pretty clearly what Fuuma was alluding to. Your original question seems a bit disingenuous, since nobody who has been around here for a while -- regardless of what they think about Fuuma's value judgments or world view -- could reasonably believe that he was disputing the existence of the data, or that he has an objection to people raising subjects or facts that some regard as touchy.
post #4335 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I'm sorry you feel that, but your feel is wrong, bro.
Your response to mine is something of a non-sequitur, and I'm not even clear on what I'm supposedly dismissing. The quote above seems to concern the second of the two choices you posited, not the third one I offered.

1. There is data.
2. What that data demonstrates and what inferences can be draw from the data can be the subject of reasonable, intellectually honest disagreement.
3. People can also cite the data as part of circular otherwise intellectually dishonest arguments, or simply stupid arguments or insinuations.

In this thread and elsewhere, people do #3 while claiming to do #2. That's pretty clearly what Fuuma was alluding to. Your original question seems a bit disingenuous, since nobody who has been around here for a while -- regardless of what they think about Fuuma's value judgments or world view -- could reasonably believe that he was disputing the existence of the data, or that he has an objection to people raising subjects or facts that some regard as touchy.

I knew I was wrong. frown.gif

While I agree with #2 I think people often do not offer reasonable, intelligent, and/or honest disagreement with the data. I say this as glib and blanket dismissals are often offered that show no real thought behind them. I say this because, as mentioned above, this is not a mickey mouse or narrowly focused endeavor going on these days. The stats are so robust, predictive, and reproducible that I find them hard to dismiss without some strong effort behind them. Part of it, as alluded to in my previous post, is no one deals with the top of the IQ charts and always makes the conversation black vs. white.

IDK. I'm stuck betwixt and between on this one. I have complete certitude it is often mouth breathing peckerwoods with IQs of 80 mouthing something to do with these data sets. That said at some point a reasonable person has to either decided to accept or reject mounds of data and research gathered by the experts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob