or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 29

post #421 of 5129
I'm seeing it all over my Facebook. For many people, in particular well-educated ones who've taken a lot of ethnic studies classes, this only proves what they've long felt about America, or been taught to feel about America. And it's not just African-Americans, it is, in some cases, whites, females, or others sensitive to these sorts of issues.

I do think there are many mainstream liberals who think it's ridiculous, but they're getting shoved deeper into the closet for fear of being shouted down.

These privilege/hate speech things are an instrument for thought suppression, IMO. And they're getting more and more frequent. The privilege movement is gaining strength. With twitter and Facebook and anonymous Youtube comments, there's an explosion in material to be upset about because there will always be morons posting dumb shit anonymously or semi-anonymously on the internet, and with Twitter and Facebook and Gawker, there's a growing platform on which to spread the new gospel.
post #422 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

I'm seeing it all over my Facebook. For many people, in particular well-educated ones who've taken a lot of ethnic studies classes, this only proves what they've long felt about America, or been taught to feel about America. And it's not just African-Americans, it is, in some cases, whites, females, or others sensitive to these sorts of issues.

I do think there are many mainstream liberals who think it's ridiculous, but they're getting shoved deeper into the closet for fear of being shouted down.

These privilege/hate speech things are an instrument for thought suppression, IMO. And they're getting more and more frequent. The privilege movement is gaining strength. With twitter and Facebook and anonymous Youtube comments, there's an explosion in material to be upset about because there will always be morons posting dumb shit anonymously or semi-anonymously on the internet, and with Twitter and Facebook and Gawker, there's a growing platform on which to spread the new gospel.

 

Interesting. A couple of thoughts; do these folks a) genuinely feel that way or, b) are they being told how to feel, or c) they're commenting for fear of ostracization if silent. Like you posited, group think is pretty impactful with social media, blogs, etc.

post #423 of 5129
Oh, they definitely feel that way. And they feel very self-righteous in saying it. And they're chasing me right off of FB. I mean, it's one thing to be able to ignore these people or turn them off, but the problem is that so many other people thumbs-up the shit and it ends up in my feed anyways. I find that the constant assault of this political stuff when I'm ostensibly supposed to be relaxing and catching up on what friends are up to is very stress-inducing.
post #424 of 5129
Would love to hear your musings on this-

#Undeportable campaign argues racial bias in US immigration policy

The biggest thing people seem to be missing is that Justin Bieber isn't undocumented, but I'm not sure if him being white as the reason he could get documents is their point. It looks like an excuse to make up crimes that are way worse than things that would get them deported and then use mspaint to make themselves look Aryan.
post #425 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post

Would love to hear your musings on this-

#Undeportable campaign argues racial bias in US immigration policy

The biggest thing people seem to be missing is that Justin Bieber isn't undocumented, but I'm not sure if him being white as the reason he could get documents is their point. It looks like an excuse to make up crimes that are way worse than things that would get them deported and then use mspaint to make themselves look Aryan.

Stupid people are stupid and make stupid memes. As noted Bieber is not an illegal alien so all comparisons are bogus to start off with. As your typical blonde haired blue eyed northern Euro type I can tell you it took several thousand dollars and about 18 months for me to legally enter the US as a resident alien. That was back when I was very poor so that money represented everything I had...except my white privilege that is.

Edit: http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01934.htm

Crimes that require deportation of LEGAL aliens. There's no legal reason for deportation but that doesn't mean it won't happen if enough people hash-tag #undeportable. If Obama had an illegal alien son he would not have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Edited by Piobaire - 1/28/14 at 6:35am
post #426 of 5129
NPR was doing a piece on the crack epidemic of the 90s in DC. This led to a discussion of Marion Barry. As they discussed his arrest, they noted that "Many African-Americans believe he was unfairly targeted and persecuted." Guy was a notorious crackhead and trying to prove it was "persecution." The racial politics of this city will always baffle me.
post #427 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Assortative mating. Apparently some folks publish a recent paper on this and said it has contributed to income inequality. The theory is that in 1960 women often "married up" as most households were single income families and men married on a more frequent basis of where the heart led them as there was no impact to household income from marrying down. Fast forward to 2005, with women getting more college degrees than men, and we have new patterns. Apparently working women do not like to marry down. Due to assortative mating we have a firmer divide of rich marrying rich, poor marrying poor.

Mother Jones disagrees. http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/01/no-decline-cinderalla-marriages-probably-hasnt-played-big-role-rising-income-ineq
post #428 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

NPR was doing a piece on the crack epidemic of the 90s in DC. This led to a discussion of Marion Barry. As they discussed his arrest, they noted that "Many African-Americans believe he was unfairly targeted and persecuted." Guy was a notorious crackhead and trying to prove it was "persecution." The racial politics of this city will always baffle me.

I'm not sure I completely buy the entrapment defense as a legal matter (paging Harvey Birdman!), but what happened to Barry seemed like a pretty good example of it. He clearly wanted sex, not drugs, that night.
post #429 of 5129
Nice to see that some Mother Jones readers have an open mind.
Quote:
Mark from Mayfield • 20 hours ago
Thank you for starting this post off with Tyler Cowen (and when you do it with Megan McArdle) so I know not to read any more of it.
post #430 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

I'm not sure I completely buy the entrapment defense as a legal matter (paging Harvey Birdman!), but what happened to Barry seemed like a pretty good example of it. He clearly wanted sex, not drugs, that night.

Barry actually had a mistrial on all but one possession charge, and that was for an unrelated incident. There are two clear facts about his case. 1. That was absolutely entrapment. 2. Barry was a crack head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post

Would love to hear your musings on this-

#Undeportable campaign argues racial bias in US immigration policy

The biggest thing people seem to be missing is that Justin Bieber isn't undocumented, but I'm not sure if him being white as the reason he could get documents is their point. It looks like an excuse to make up crimes that are way worse than things that would get them deported and then use mspaint to make themselves look Aryan.

Interesting that America is far more liberal in it's immigration rules than Canada, where an American convicted of a DUI cannot enter Canada (at least not without apecial dispensation costing several thousand dollars).
post #431 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


Interesting that America is far more liberal in it's immigration rules than Canada, where an American convicted of a DUI cannot enter Canada (at least not without apecial dispensation costing several thousand dollars).

But Biebs did not enter the US with a DUI charge; he got one here. Your conclusion is based on an inaccurate framing of the situation. Sorry, HB.
post #432 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

But Biebs did not enter the US with a DUI charge; he got one here. Your conclusion is based on an inaccurate framing of the situation. Sorry, HB.

A DUI is a DUI is a DUI. If you don't think Canada would deport an American getting a DUI in Canada in a second you are mistaken. In fact, Americans committing a crime in Canada no longer have any appellate rights.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2013/2013-06-20.asp
post #433 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

A DUI is a DUI is a DUI. If you don't think Canada would deport an American getting a DUI in Canada in a second you are mistaken. In fact, Americans committing a crime in Canada no longer have any appellate rights.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2013/2013-06-20.asp

And you still made an inaccurate comparison.
post #434 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Oh, they definitely feel that way. And they feel very self-righteous in saying it. And they're chasing me right off of FB. I mean, it's one thing to be able to ignore these people or turn them off, but the problem is that so many other people thumbs-up the shit and it ends up in my feed anyways. I find that the constant assault of this political stuff when I'm ostensibly supposed to be relaxing and catching up on what friends are up to is very stress-inducing.

I think we had that discussion before but I must say I am surprised, I get very little strident, cheap, dumb social leftist articles such as these on my FB feed. In fact the new "in" thing with many of my intellectual friends is to be an actual fascist and trade texts from Julius Evola, Brasillach or whatever. Aestheticization of politics and all that. We probably don't have the same (kind of) friends but the current tendency I see if def anti-capitalist, anti-democracy, anti current elites, nationalist and very high-minded on one side and easy, "politically incorrect" hipster trolling on the other side.
post #435 of 5129
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/obama-speech-big-new-theme-some-familiar-content
Quote:
Seeking to address those issues, Obama will also announce executive actions on job training, boosting employment opportunities for the long-term unemployed and expanding retirement savings for low- and middle-income Americans.

The retirement savings proposal is geared toward workers whose employers don't currently offer such plans. The program would allow first-time savers to start building up savings in Treasury bonds that eventually could be converted into traditional IRAs, according to two people who have discussed the proposal with the administration. Those people weren't authorized to discuss the plan ahead of the announcement and insisted on anonymity.
Is this step 1 in the government takeover and (mis)management of retirement funds? tinfoil.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob