or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 24

post #346 of 5129
Quote:

Krugman's writing in the NYT isn't even consistent with the work he did that won him a Nobel Prize.
post #347 of 5129
Thread Starter 
From the link:
Quote:
What he writes doesn’t just contradict thoughtful economics. It contradicts the thoughtful economics he himself writes in the latest editions of his textbook. What am I missing?

The simple answer is Krugman using "composites" of blending several positions into one.
post #348 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

From the link:
The simple answer is Krugman using "composites" of blending several positions into one.

To support his political agenda and earn him those big speaking fees/book royalties.
post #349 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

To support his political agenda and earn him those big speaking fees/book royalties.

Gotta look out for #1. I guess I can't blame the guy. Give them what they want and all that.
post #350 of 5129
Quote:
Well, now I’m in Dublin to receive the James Joyce Award;

So he joins the hallowed ranks of Tony Hawk, Will Ferrel, and Youtube celebrity Jenna Mourey. Congrats, Pauly. Your mother must be proud.
post #351 of 5129
Thread Starter 
You guys think Obama promotes unicorns? Try the leader of the Official Opposition in Canada, one Tom Muclair.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-mulcair-vows-to-restore-old-age-security-eligibility-to-65-1.2500359

From the link:

Ensuring access to low interest credit cards
No ATM fees
Strengthening public pensions
Return to 65 (from 67) Canada's version of Social Security
More unemployment payments

Not sure what to muse over this.
post #352 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

You guys think Obama promotes unicorns? Try the leader of the Official Opposition in Canada, one Tom Muclair.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-mulcair-vows-to-restore-old-age-security-eligibility-to-65-1.2500359

From the link:

Ensuring access to low interest credit cards
No ATM fees
Strengthening public pensions
Return to 65 (from 67) Canada's version of Social Security
More unemployment payments

Not sure what to muse over this.

Banks shouldn't be able to make money! They're crooks!
post #353 of 5129
Up until last year or so his party had the word "Socialist" in its charter, so I'm not sure how/why this is post worthy.

Anyway, public pensions in Canada are already really strong, reasonably well structured. The Walrus ran an article a few months ago about the Ontario Teachers Pension that's worth a read. I realize ideologically many here are opposed to such things, of course, oh well.
post #354 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Up until last year or so his party had the word "Socialist" in its charter, so I'm not sure how/why this is post worthy.

Anyway, public pensions in Canada are already really strong, reasonably well structured. The Walrus ran an article a few months ago about the Ontario Teachers Pension that's worth a read. I realize ideologically many here are opposed to such things, of course, oh well.

Was reading some comments in the G&M and folks seem to think teachers and other public servants are the new upper class of Canada due to their crazy good pensions, benefits, and early retirement. Retirement inequality is going to lead to a revolution; I am the 99%!

Btw, no one I know of is against a pension being part of an employment contract. Speaking just for myself the only pensions that bother me are ones negotiated under morally hazardous conditions that involve my tax dollars going to fund above market rate and unsustainable pension plans.
post #355 of 5129
Didn't realise teachers had "crazy good" pensions. Our financial planner has told us that it's an "ok" pension but not to rely too heavily on it.

But yes, I agree that people love to villify teachers because of the perception of their union power. Unfortunately, the loudest voices are often the least educated regarding the reality of both union "power" and the management of the pension portfolios. (The comments section of news articles always seem to garner people with strong but not necessarily the most educated opinions regarding the stories they're commenting on.) The media still loves to pretend that that the BCTF and the BCNU are strong unions, but they haven't been since the 1980s when Bennett gutted them. Public perception will always be a problem so long as teachers are employed by the government. We've had a right-wing government for 12 years, and before that the left-wing government mandated teachers back to work under hefty fines, so there's always been a friction.

I've got friends working in the private sector in lower management positions who are making multiples of my salary, receive bonuses, and have much better pensions. They're in the private sector so it's completely different, but I'd hardly consider low-level positions like "teacher" or "nurse" part of a new "upper class". That seems awfully dramatic and divisive.
post #356 of 5129
Thread Starter 
I've not made a study of this, and I'm of course highly unlikely too as the damn I give over this is pretty small for obvious reasons, but I would not doubt if there's regional differences in Canada just like in the US. Quebec, Ontario, and the East Coast are old union strongholds, top heavy demographics, and think they can stick their heads in the sand and things will turn into 1965 again.
post #357 of 5129
I used to have sex with a teacher. They do have "crazy good" pensions, at least here in PA.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to retire? 1st, I love my job, could never imagine doing anything else long term. B. We're all going to have sexy robot bodies and live forever in the next 30 years. How is it possibly acceptable to have someone who may technically be age 65 but will live forever retire on a pension plan or social security? That immortality is not addressed in the current SS administration is gross negligence. People alive today WILL live forever. To think it's acceptable to let them suck off the public teet for infinity is sheer willful ignorance.
post #358 of 5129
Yeah, I know it's not Canada, but who cares about Canada?
Quote:
According to a report released last week by the Spectrem Group's Millionaire Corner, the number of millionaire households in the U.S. rose 2% last year to 8.2 million. And capturing the greatest number of millionaire households were ones that included a manager as a breadwinner.

But while managers are tops on the list, accounting for 17% of households with $1 million to $5 million in net assets excluding their primary residence, educators are close behind with 12% of the millionaire pie, according to the report.

....


Percent of Millionaires
Manager 17%
Educator 12%
Sr. Corporate Executive 7%
Business Owner 6%
Accountant 4%
Sales Person 4%
Attorney 2%
Doctor/Dentist 2%

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/26/surprising-job-that-gets-many-americans-into-the-millionaire-clu/
post #359 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I used to have sex with a teacher. They do have "crazy good" pensions, at least here in PA.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to retire? 1st, I love my job, could never imagine doing anything else long term. B. We're all going to have sexy robot bodies and live forever in the next 30 years. How is it possibly acceptable to have someone who may technically be age 65 but will live forever retire on a pension plan or social security? That immortality is not addressed in the current SS administration is gross negligence. People alive today WILL live forever. To think it's acceptable to let them suck off the public teet for infinity is sheer willful ignorance.

Hey, they paid into the system. They earned that infinity of benefits! It's not an entitlement, man.
post #360 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I used to have sex with a teacher. They do have "crazy good" pensions, at least here in PA.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to retire? 1st, I love my job, could never imagine doing anything else long term. B. We're all going to have sexy robot bodies and live forever in the next 30 years. How is it possibly acceptable to have someone who may technically be age 65 but will live forever retire on a pension plan or social security? That immortality is not addressed in the current SS administration is gross negligence. People alive today WILL live forever. To think it's acceptable to let them suck off the public teet for infinity is sheer willful ignorance.

I'm retiring at 45 to pursue drinking full time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob