or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 21

post #301 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Haven't heard that one

Anyway, what's with the Muslim kid at York who requested to avoid meeting with women, denied by the prof on rational grounds, the ultimately approved by the Dean because apparently meeting with women denied him of his "religious freedom"?

To me this is similar to Christians saying rude shit about gays, getting called out for it, then losing their shit because they, like this sexist Islamic kid, are being denied their "religious freedom".

I do not think these two situations are really comparable. Saying rude shit about random people is completely different than the situation with the Muslim refusing to interact with women; it's words vs. deeds. I think you just want to drag the Xtians into this because people are often uncomfortable just dealing with the isolated issue of non-Xtian fundies in our society. Xtian fundies we can bash all day long but many eye brows get raised if one calls out a non-Xtian fundie living in our society in isolation of the incident in question.

Which is actually not a bad musing though. To set the stage: a Muslim student enrolled in an online course. The prof assigned group work and the student did not want to meet with the group as it included women. The professor refused to grant an exemption, the university head told him to, but the prof refused to accommodate. The student eventually deemed his religion would allow an "exemption" and met with the group. Here's a link on the topic: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/york-deans-letter-defends-choice-with-religious-accommodation-request/article16294547/

Was the Dean correct in offering religious accommodations like this? Do we need to allow religious students the ability to pick and chose who they will and will not interact with, and in what manner interactions will take place. within the course of school work?
post #302 of 5117

Ask yourself this, if the student was a Catholic and refused to meet with gay students because of religious beliefs, would the Dean have granted him that exemption?

post #303 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthewazzu View Post

Ask yourself this, if the student was a Catholic and refused to meet with gay students because of religious beliefs, would the Dean have granted him that exemption?

Well now, this is really just the opposite side of the coin I took Browne to task for. I think we need to look at this in a macro fashion, namely "religious beliefs" and not worry about the specific religion in question.
post #304 of 5117
If a Muslim asked me for an exemption I would grant it so as to not have my head cut off. The Catholics can go pound sand.
post #305 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Well now, this is really just the opposite side of the coin I took Browne to task for. I think we need to look at this in a macro fashion, namely "religious beliefs" and not worry about the specific religion in question.

This wasn't the take-away from your post. I'm arguing that the right criticizes Islam just as often as the left criticizes Christianity. I'm not sure why they can't all be a bunch of hypocrites. You claim that while the duck guy did perform any negative "actions" I'd argue that this Islamic kid didn't either. He did end up meeting with the heathen females- words can often do damage if we take the slippery slope argument we're so prone to hearing from pundits.

Anyway, I have no real dog in the fight. Is as just interested to see who would come out to jump on one religion while giving the other a free pass for equally stupid things. I'll be the first to admit that there are fewer suffering Catholic woman than there are Islamic.
post #306 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

This wasn't the take-away from your post. I'm arguing that the right criticizes Islam just as often as the left criticizes Christianity. I'm not sure why they can't all be a bunch of hypocrites. You claim that while the duck guy did perform any negative "actions" I'd argue that this Islamic kid didn't either. He did end up meeting with the heathen females- words can often do damage if we take the slippery slope argument we're so prone to hearing from pundits.

Anyway, I have no real dog in the fight. Is as just interested to see who would come out to jump on one religion while giving the other a free pass for equally stupid things. I'll be the first to admit that there are fewer suffering Catholic woman than there are Islamic.

This is not quite right. The Islamic guy tried hard as hell to not meet with women then relented. This was not about his expressing an opinion this was about him trying to control the terms of his classwork, i.e. actions. Unfettered the Duck Dood would talk about how he doesn't get being queer. Unfettered the Muslim kid would have classes segregated by gender.

I don't really have a dog in this fight either as I could not give much of a damn what ya'll do up in the Great White North. I know last time I walked into the bathroom at the U of Windsor there was special sinks for the Muslims to wash their feet in. Guess we know who's winning the culture wars there.
post #307 of 5117
Lol @ culture war
post #308 of 5117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Lol @ culture war

Yeah, I always thought Ph.D.s in sociology were a bit laughable too. However, that is an attempt at a facile dodge from my observation. In fact, it seems feet washing sinks for Muslims is rather rampant at Canadian post-secondary institutions. I say good on you guys.
post #309 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I know last time I walked into the bathroom at the U of Windsor there was special sinks for the Muslims to wash their feet in. Guess we know who's winning the culture wars there.

Seriously, were these sinks only for Muslims or could anyone wash their feet in them?
post #310 of 5117
In hindsight I probably could've done with a good mid-day foot-washing.
post #311 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Yeah, I always thought Ph.D.s in sociology were a bit laughable too. However, that is an attempt at a facile dodge from my observation. In fact, it seems feet washing sinks for Muslims is rather rampant at Canadian post-secondary institutions. I say good on you guys.

Clearly not smart enough to argue with you- this is your thread Piob. Only love brother.
post #312 of 5117
Thread Starter 
My musing today is on how Democrats apparently age better than Repubs. I say this as age 70 for John McCain at inauguration, if he had been elected, led to the, "Sarah Palin would be one heart beat away from being POTUS" meme. Hillary Clinton will be 69 if she is elected POTUS in 2016. Yes, women tend to live longer than men, but McCain's family apparently is known for longevity. His mother is apparently active at 101 years of age and her twin sister passed on at 99.

John's father passed on of a heart attack at a fairly young age but apparently he was a ferocious drinker and smoker.

What makes me think of this is Hillary is all over the front page of CNN right now and it's clear she's being coronated early by some of the media.
post #313 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

My musing today is on how Democrats apparently age better than Repubs. I say this as age 70 for John McCain at inauguration, if he had been elected, led to the, "Sarah Palin would be one heart beat away from being POTUS" meme. Hillary Clinton will be 69 if she is elected POTUS in 2016. Yes, women tend to live longer than men, but McCain's family apparently is known for longevity. His mother is apparently active at 101 years of age and her twin sister passed on at 99.

John's father passed on of a heart attack at a fairly young age but apparently he was a ferocious drinker and smoker.

What makes me think of this is Hillary is all over the front page of CNN right now and it's clear she's being coronated early by some of the media.

His age had more to do with his perceived health from his POW time, and he seems so much older since he went gray so young. If Hillary wasn't going bottle blond, her age wouldn't be an issue because she wouldn't even be considered.
Edited by js4design - 1/14/14 at 9:46am
post #314 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

My musing today is on how Democrats apparently age better than Repubs. I say this as age 70 for John McCain at inauguration, if he had been elected, led to the, "Sarah Palin would be one heart beat away from being POTUS" meme. Hillary Clinton will be 69 if she is elected POTUS in 2016. Yes, women tend to live longer than men, but McCain's family apparently is known for longevity. His mother is apparently active at 101 years of age and her twin sister passed on at 99.

I could be wrong here, but I think that women don't necessarily live older once they are at that age. Men just tend to die young (due to dangerous jobs, more risk taking, etc) so that drags down the average.

It's like the way people talk about the average age in the past being young 40s, and concluding that most people died at that age, when those averages are reduced by a high incidence of early death, and the majority still lived to be in their 60s or 70s.
post #315 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

I could be wrong here, but I think that women don't necessarily live older once they are at that age. Men just tend to die young (due to dangerous jobs, more risk taking, etc) so that drags down the average.

It's like the way people talk about the average age in the past being young 40s, and concluding that most people died at that age, when those averages are reduced by a high incidence of early death, and the majority still lived to be in their 60s or 70s.

Purely anecdotal, but there are a lot more widows than widowers at the community where my grandparents live.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob