or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 135

post #2011 of 5129
I can't ever support Gary Johnson again. He sued the debate commission under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. How can you be a libertarian and try using the Anti-Trust Act as a weapon?

Edit: It is a real shame he couldn't get traction in the Republican primaries because he was a less cooky/crazy, more electable version of Ron Paul (he was governor for two terms in a purplish state).
post #2012 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I can't ever support Gary Johnson again. He sued the debate commission under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. How can you be a libertarian and try using the Anti-Trust Act as a weapon?

Edit: It is a real shame he couldn't get traction in the Republican primaries because he was a less cooky/crazy, more electable version of Ron Paul (he was governor for two terms in a purplish state).

You go to war with the soldiers you have, not the soldiers you want.
post #2013 of 5129
Not gonna lie, I don't know what the Anti-Trust Act is.
post #2014 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

You go to war with the soldiers you have, not the soldiers you want.

I 100% agree with you; however, I wouldn't use weapons I'm morally opposed to. In real war, we have torture as a possible weapon at our disposal, but should we use it?
post #2015 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I 100% agree with you; however, I wouldn't use weapons I'm morally opposed to. In real war, we have torture as a possible weapon at our disposal, but should we use it?


I see your point and raise you Hilary Clinton as the opposing option.
post #2016 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I 100% agree with you; however, I wouldn't use weapons I'm morally opposed to. In real war, we have torture as a possible weapon at our disposal, but should we use it?

Yes. We should.
post #2017 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Yes. We should.

I would support torture in limited cases if there was evidence it works. Rather than getting credible information, people will say anything to make the torture stop, and it leads to a lot of false positives that waste time and resources.
post #2018 of 5129
No. Torture is unacceptable. That which you do to your enemy you allow him to do to you. Peri-fucking-od. foo.gif
post #2019 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I would support torture in limited cases if there was evidence it works. Rather than getting credible information, people will say anything to make the torture stop, and it leads to a lot of false positives that waste time and resources.

There's been many debates on this on Style Forum in the past. It isn't perfect for sure.
post #2020 of 5129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

There's been many debates on this on Style Forum in the past. It isn't perfect for sure.

I'm not a big McCain fan, but as a guy that was tortured for a couple of years, he says it doesn't work so I'm probably going to listen to him.
post #2021 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

No. Torture is unacceptable. That which you do to your enemy you allow him to do to you. Peri-fucking-od. foo.gif

I know, I'm in no-man's land on this issue. The Rumsfelds of the world think we should torture everyone, and there are a lot of others who say never. Like I said, it would be a very limited situation.

I don't think it works based on the research I have read, so this is a purely academic debate to me.

You can't torture normal enemy soldiers because that violates the Geneva Convention, and quite frankly the average German or Canadian or North Korean solider isn't any different than the average American soldier - they aren't evil and out to kill innocent people.

Some crazy who is hell bent on killing millions of innocent people (the classic ticking bomb scenario)... if it worked, I would say, yes. However, it doesn't, so there's no point. In fact, it is counterproductive.

Ninja Edit: I inadvertently put McCain - he just wants the President to have unilateral power to bomb anyone.
post #2022 of 5129
I don't give a shit about the Geneva convention. I'm just letting you people know, including those of you who might decide to join the armed forces at some time - if you allow your enemy to be tortured, you run the risk of not only you, but your entire family to be tortured. Are you ok with your mother being tortured to find out your location? Because that's what these fucking savages will do. They might do it anyway, but they will definitely do it if they think we are ok with torture. That's a choice you have to make.

I'm not currently fighting for this or any other country, and I have no children (that I know of) in the military. So this is on you. I'll defer to your better judgment. Are you ok with your son or daughter being tortured, raped, flayed, fucked up if the person doing the action thought it was in his/her national interests? Answer that query, please.
post #2023 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Not gonna lie, I don't know what the Anti-Trust Act is.
It's when your partner makes you stop and put on a condom.
post #2024 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

I don't give a shit about the Geneva convention. I'm just letting you people know, including those of you who might decide to join the armed forces at some time - if you allow your enemy to be tortured,

Can't this happen anyway?
post #2025 of 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

You fucking idiots. You wanted "net neutrality", you got it.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/178/text?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22Justice+for+Victims+of+Trafficking%22%5D%7D

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET THE GOVERNMENT DO THINGS.

This is not net neutrality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob