or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob - Page 98

post #1456 of 5112
30K of deeply provincial muslims in my neigbourhood would not be appreciated either. Especially since these are the grandchildren of people who fought against my people on the side of German SS and Wermacht.
post #1457 of 5112
This just in,

St. Louis police allege hate crime in latest attack on Bosnian resident

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/08/fbi-called-to-investigate-whether-attack-on-bosnian-woman-hate-crime/

Let's see how hard Holder and the DOJ investigate these incidents, and if BO comments.

Bevo Mill residents, whose neighborhood has seen a cumulative 24-percent rise in aggravated assaults over the last three months, say assaults and threats by packs of teenagers against Bosnians have become the norm. One who spoke to FoxNews.com on condition of anonymity due to safety reasons claims he and his family experienced a similar attack and said there is a disturbing pattern of violence against white residents in the area.

"It is common for African-American teens to walk in the middle of the street and block in cars at intersections," said the man, who has lived in the neighborhood for half a decade. "We have been stopped at intersections in Bevo and our car attacked by teens who pound on the car -- laughing at us."

post #1458 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

This just in,

St. Louis police allege hate crime in latest attack on Bosnian resident

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/08/fbi-called-to-investigate-whether-attack-on-bosnian-woman-hate-crime/

Let's see how hard Holder and the DOJ investigate these incidents, and if BO comments.

Bevo Mill residents, whose neighborhood has seen a cumulative 24-percent rise in aggravated assaults over the last three months, say assaults and threats by packs of teenagers against Bosnians have become the norm. One who spoke to FoxNews.com on condition of anonymity due to safety reasons claims he and his family experienced a similar attack and said there is a disturbing pattern of violence against white residents in the area.

"It is common for African-American teens to walk in the middle of the street and block in cars at intersections," said the man, who has lived in the neighborhood for half a decade. "We have been stopped at intersections in Bevo and our car attacked by teens who pound on the car -- laughing at us."


If someone pounded on my car and laughed at me my right foot might accidentally slip in the confusion. Ooops, reverse? OMG, I broke and hit the accelerator AGAIN??? I'm so confused!
post #1459 of 5112
The IRS has, in recent years, been transformed into a huge welfare program. That's not news.

But I heard on the radio that the IRS said that last year they paid out six billion dollars in false claims for just one child-related tax "credit."

To put that into perspective that's six thousand million dollars, or six thousand dollars to each of a million fraudulent claimants.
post #1460 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

The IRS has, in recent years, been transformed into a huge welfare program. That's not news.

But I heard on the radio that the IRS said that last year they paid out six billion dollars in false claims for just one child-related tax "credit."

To put that into perspective that's six thousand million dollars, or six thousand dollars to each of a million fraudulent claimants.

You are not a thief until you have been caught.
That is the essense of US taxation system. Almost everyone lies on their tax return, so it is similar environment to Putin's Russia where everyone is guilty a priori and if accused the burden of proof is on you. Essentially system designed for extortion and intimidation.
post #1461 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

You are not a thief until you have been caught.
That is the essense of US taxation system. Almost everyone lies on their tax return, so it is similar environment to Putin's Russia where everyone is guilty a priori and if accused the burden of proof is on you. Essentially system designed for extortion and intimidation.

It's designed for extortion and intimidation of taxpayers, that is, of people with something to lose. The people who cheat on stuff like child tax credits rarely seem to get in trouble. I wonder how much of that six billion will be paid back, or whether they will even try to get it back.
post #1462 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

It's designed for extortion and intimidation of taxpayers, that is, of people with something to lose. The people who cheat on stuff like child tax credits rarely seem to get in trouble. I wonder how much of that six billion will be paid back, or whether they will even try to get it back.

Since everyone cheats on taxes why would not IRS outsource collection to bounty hunters and debt collectors. The way to do it profitably is to sell SSN of US citizens for set price to debt collectors and then they can try to recover 100cents on a dollar of unpaid taxes. Congress would promptly enact new legislation to allow this travesty and Americans would be raped again. shog[1].gif
post #1463 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

It's designed for extortion and intimidation of taxpayers, that is, of people with something to lose. The people who cheat on stuff like child tax credits rarely seem to get in trouble. I wonder how much of that six billion will be paid back, or whether they will even try to get it back.

I feel like it's more of a "thousand monkeys" design, with enforcement and practice evolving to fit the tax code that filters through all the different Congressional monkeys. The IRS uses its power in the manner it does not so much by design, but from functioning in this overly complex system where most people are fudging their taxes in all kinds of ways.


If there's a "design" in the conspiratorial sense, it would be from the people who have the resources to profit from a complex tax code. The tax preparation industry obviously doesn't want a simple tax code, and people with the resources to structure their finances to minimize their tax burden wouldn't want to see a change. I don't think they're encouraging Congress to actively make the tax code more complex, but they're certainly lobbying against wholesale reform.
post #1464 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

Since everyone cheats on taxes why would not IRS outsource collection to bounty hunters and debt collectors. The way to do it profitably is to sell SSN of US citizens for set price to debt collectors and then they can try to recover 100cents on a dollar of unpaid taxes. Congress would promptly enact new legislation to allow this travesty and Americans would be raped again. shog[1].gif

It's funny, the IRS actually prepares a pretty well done basic tax return for everybody. They send it to you if you screw something up and don't pay enough on something. They simply don't make it available, because Congress has forbidden them from doing so. They already have all your W2s, 1040, etc etc on file, but you gotta enter them all in manually because the IRS isn't permitted to automatically reference all that. I'm sure it doesn't maximize deductions, but for Joe Average it would vastly simplify the tax process. It's basically designed to make the IRS less efficient at collecting taxes and make things as complicated and annoying as possible for the average American.
post #1465 of 5112
Thread Starter 
FWIW I do not cheat or even fudge my taxes. In fact, if I have a choice in how to handle something, I'll always take the most conservative and defensible choice. It has been made clear the IRS does not give a damn about the poorz defrauding the system but it is giving tight scrutiny to anyone with something to lose.
post #1466 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

FWIW I do not cheat or even fudge my taxes. In fact, if I have a choice in how to handle something, I'll always take the most conservative and defensible choice. It has been made clear the IRS does not give a damn about the poorz defrauding the system but it is giving tight scrutiny to anyone with something to lose.

Accurate.
post #1467 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

FWIW I do not cheat or even fudge my taxes. In fact, if I have a choice in how to handle something, I'll always take the most conservative and defensible choice. It has been made clear the IRS does not give a damn about the poorz defrauding the system but it is giving tight scrutiny to anyone with something to lose.

So you are the one...who pays taxes on gifts and out of state purchases.
post #1468 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

FWIW I do not cheat or even fudge my taxes. In fact, if I have a choice in how to handle something, I'll always take the most conservative and defensible choice. It has been made clear the IRS does not give a damn about the poorz defrauding the system but it is giving tight scrutiny to anyone with something to lose.

I never knew you had a mustache...
post #1469 of 5112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

So you are the one...who pays taxes on gifts and out of state purchases.

I do not receive any gifts that are other than de minimis, Amazon collects taxes now, and I do not order much else on line.
post #1470 of 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I do not receive any gifts that are other than de minimis, Amazon collects taxes now, and I do not order much else on line.

Tell it to the IRS pretty boy.biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob