or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daily CE Musings of Piob

post #1 of 5128
Thread Starter 
I'm starting this thread as a catch all for my daily musings. I've thought of starting a thread on a given topic several times lately and just didn't seem to be able to hit the "Submit" button so I thought I'd just start a thread for my random musings on CE worthy topics.

Today's musing has to do with Amazon and Walmart. We all know how hated Walmart is particularly by the left. Well, I've noticed Amazon getting some bad press lately but anything Netwebs seems to get a bit of a pass. I'm wondering if Amazon is going to get Walmarted?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25034598
Quote:
Undercover reporter Adam Littler, 23, got an agency job at Amazon's Swansea warehouse. He took a hidden camera inside for BBC Panorama to record what happened on his shifts.

He was employed as a "picker", collecting orders from 800,000 sq ft of storage.

A handset told him what to collect and put on his trolley. It allotted him a set number of seconds to find each product and counted down. If he made a mistake the scanner beeped.

"We are machines, we are robots, we plug our scanner in, we're holding it, but we might as well be plugging it into ourselves", he said.

"We don't think for ourselves, maybe they don't trust us to think for ourselves as human beings, I don't know."

So apparently these "pickers" are being denied their autonomy and ability to self-actualize as they cannot "think for" their own selves and decide what to pick independently of the items requested by those ordering off Amazon. Heaven forbid they actually assemble the order per the customer's request.
post #2 of 5128
Good article in the New Yorker this week about how these "amazing" tech companies that "revolutionize" business are just as scummy and douchey as any other large corp.

I see no problem with the media and public holding business accountable for labour practises. I'm sure you would prefer a bit of occasional bad press and some manufactured outrage to increased unionization.
post #3 of 5128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Good article in the New Yorker this week about how these "amazing" tech companies that "revolutionize" business are just as scummy and douchey as any other large corp.

I see no problem with the media and public holding business accountable for labour practises. I'm sure you would prefer a bit of occasional bad press and some manufactured outrage to increased unionization.

I just want to figure out what this undercover reporter posing as a picker is about. I'm trying to figure out how independent human thinking is required to pull shit off shelves to fulfill orders. I think people just need to get off my lawn.
post #4 of 5128
You hate so many things. frown.gif
I hope work is going ok.
post #5 of 5128
There's an Amazon fulfillment center an hour south of me. I've represented people who work there, DUIs, divorces, bankruptcies. I assure you, pulling shit off a shelf is the best they're going to be able to do. These are not bright people. They are fucking dumb. Were it not for Amazon these people would be employed at the DMV or as drug mules.
post #6 of 5128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

You hate so many things. frown.gif
I hope work is going ok.

Work is winding down for the year; thanks for inquiring. Also, actually good to see you post and hope the school year is winding down well for you.

Today's musing: does CNN actually think their article on presidents lying will give some cover for Obama over his Obamacare fuck up? I figure they must think it will work on a non-trivial amount of people and/or give slicker people talking points.
post #7 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


Today's musing: does CNN actually think their article on presidents lying will give some cover for Obama over his Obamacare fuck up? I figure they must think it will work on a non-trivial amount of people and/or give slicker people talking points.

Yes, I saw that article. They were bringing up that all Presidents lie and specifically mentioned Washington and Lincoln among others. Obviously they wanted to show BO as a member of the PLC ( Presidential Liars Club ). It was a tactical error.

BO is heads and shoulders above Washington and Lincoln and should not be compared to them.

The one is the one is the one.......

Anyway, you're smarter than me. What do you think of my prediction, made in 2008, that BO would be as toxic to Dem candidates in 2016 as GWB was to GOP candidates in 2008?
post #8 of 5128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post



Anyway, you're smarter than me. What do you think of my prediction, made in 2008, that BO would be as toxic to Dem candidates in 2016 as GWB was to GOP candidates in 2008?

Only a racist would think this and I have reported your racist prediction.
post #9 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Only a racist would think this and I have reported your racist prediction.

Why would it be racist to think GWB was toxic in 2008? LOL

And now, on a serious and racist note. If and when Hilly runs in 2016, do you think she will embrace the BO years and policies 100%? Or will she come to the center to attract independents and figure she will get 90-95% of the BO "core constituency" no matter what she does. Remember Billy Boy is back in good graces.
post #10 of 5128
Depends who the Repub's run against her. If that shitheel Santorum is still mucking things up in the primaries and Christie gets the nod she won't have any trouble winning. He's still far too fat, bypass surgery or not.
post #11 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Depends who the Repub's run against her. If that shitheel Santorum is still mucking things up in the primaries and Christie gets the nod she won't have any trouble winning. He's still far too fat, bypass surgery or not.

If Rob Ford can get elected mayor of toronto then Christie can get elected president. It has been too long since we have had a member of the privileged obese in office!
post #12 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Work is winding down for the year; thanks for inquiring. Also, actually good to see you post and hope the school year is winding down well for you.

Today's musing: does CNN actually think their article on presidents lying will give some cover for Obama over his Obamacare fuck up? I figure they must think it will work on a non-trivial amount of people and/or give slicker people talking points.

I saw the lying article yesterday. It was spectacular. I particularly liked the complete lack of any attempt to obscure bias when discussing the "good" and "bad" lies. The stuff about Lincoln was pretty funny (he wasn't really a racist who didn't believe in equality. He just pretended to be one to advance his progressive agenda). However, the Clinton one was outstanding. "Yes, he lied, but he did it FOR THE CHILDREN!! That makes it a 'good' lie."
post #13 of 5128
Yes there are "good lies" and "bad lies" and never the twain shall meet.
post #14 of 5128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I saw the lying article yesterday. It was spectacular. I particularly liked the complete lack of any attempt to obscure bias when discussing the "good" and "bad" lies. The stuff about Lincoln was pretty funny (he wasn't really a racist who didn't believe in equality. He just pretended to be one to advance his progressive agenda). However, the Clinton one was outstanding. "Yes, he lied, but he did it FOR THE CHILDREN!! That makes it a 'good' lie."

I enjoy the arbitrary categorizations. NSA lies about spying is forgivable. Nixon saying, "I'm not a crook" is unforgivable. I think if one analyzed the subtext of the article it comes down to this: get away with the lie and it's a "good" lie; get held to account and it's a "bad" lie.
post #15 of 5128
Obama didn't know the NSA was spying. Nor did he know Healthcare.gov was a piece of shit. Ignorance is his excuse, you can't expect him to be everywhere, can you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Daily CE Musings of Piob