or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › One Wash?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One Wash?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Why is it that it seems like while people on this site prefer raw denim, when it comes to 45RPM and 5EP they go with the one-wash (or all-out distressed/pre-faded, in the case of 45RPM)? I'm considering getting a pair of 5EPs myself, so I'm curious what the pros and cons are of one-wash vs. raw denim.

Also, can someone explain to me why you're not supposed to wash raw denim until you've been wearing it for a while? I know it has to do with the dye and whiskering and honeycombing, but I want to know the exact details.

Thanks.

Edit: Alright, I read some of the related threads that show up at the bottom of mine. Apparently washing strips the jeans of dye, meaning that you won't get awesome contrast. What I don't get is that aren't you going to wash your jeans at one point or another, ruining whatever contrast you worked to get?
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon View Post
Why is it that it seems like while people on this site prefer raw denim, when it comes to 45RPM and 5EP they go with the one-wash (or all-out distressed/pre-faded, in the case of 45RPM)? I'm considering getting a pair of 5EPs myself, so I'm curious what the pros and cons are of one-wash vs. raw denim.

Also, can someone explain to me why you're not supposed to wash raw denim until you've been wearing it for a while? I know it has to do with the dye and whiskering and honeycombing, but I want to know the exact details.

Thanks.

Edit: Alright, I read some of the related threads that show up at the bottom of mine. Apparently washing strips the jeans of dye, meaning that you won't get awesome contrast. What I don't get is that aren't you going to wash your jeans at one point or another, ruining whatever contrast you worked to get?

To oversimplify, the contrast is in part the result of differing amounts of pre-wash wear (due to body shape, usage, etc.) in different areas of the garment. The more pre-wash wear, the more you'll see contrasting patterns in the way the dye fades upon washing.
Think about dipping a sheet of paper in a bowl of watercolor paint. You may get some drips, etc., but generally you're going to get even coloring. Crinkle up that paper before you did it, and you'll likely get some distinct contrasts where the wrinkles are.
Stupid analogy, but hopefully you get the idea.
post #3 of 20
I prefer a one wash. I have the 5ep one wash, and I see little advantage to getting raw, really. You can be absolutely fucking certain no one else is going to see the difference, except for total denim heads and internet forumers. (less than .0002% of the population)

Fading, wrinkles, and all that stuff will still happen with a one-wash. I might be one of the few here who thinks that occasional (not frequent) washing actually helps bring out the color of the denim, and improves the fit. And they smell better too!
post #4 of 20
I generally prefer one-wash to raw, but best of all is raw jeans which have been soaked or gently washed in cold water. The denim takes on so much character with that first wash that I generally do it before I even wear the jeans.
post #5 of 20
It's tiring to read countless posts of people debating raw vs one-wash when in the end, everyone starts with one-wash.

Even if you get a pair of raw jeans, you should at least soak them once to get shrinkage out of the way. That way the fit won't be completely different once you wash them in the future. So by soaking them, you've in essence made them one-wash.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by braidkid View Post
It's tiring to read countless posts of people debating raw vs one-wash when in the end, everyone starts with one-wash.

Even if you get a pair of raw jeans, you should at least soak them once to get shrinkage out of the way. That way the fit won't be completely different once you wash them in the future. So by soaking them, you've in essence made them one-wash.

Unless you don't wash them. I've only washed one pair of the approximately 30 pairs of raw denim that I have.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
I still don't understand, though, what happens to a pair raw jeans that have been worn for months and then get washed. What's the difference between wearing them for a few months before washing or a few weeks? If the washing takes the dye out, won't both pairs really end up looking the same anyways?
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon View Post
I still don't understand, though, what happens to a pair raw jeans that have been worn for months and then get washed. What's the difference between wearing them for a few months before washing or a few weeks? If the washing takes the dye out, won't both pairs really end up looking the same anyways?

No, because wearing the jeans removes indigo unevenly while washing them takes it out evenly. That's why you get fade marks from wearing them for awhile and why people don't recommend you wash jeans for months. In my case, I prefer the denim stay dark without any fading, which is why I have many pairs of raw denim and don't wash them.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117 View Post
No, because wearing the jeans removes indigo unevenly while washing them takes it out evenly. That's why you get fade marks from wearing them for awhile and why people don't recommend you wash jeans for months.
+ 1
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117 View Post
Unless you don't wash them. I've only washed one pair of the approximately 30 pairs of raw denim that I have.

keep in mind when you do wash them, all the wear will be out of place...

bottom line is, there is no difference in fade potential between one-wash and raw. if you never want to wash your jeans, that's fine.....however they're going to be stinky as hell after a while and unwearable after a year.
post #11 of 20
Hehe im in the same boat. Not sure to get SC One Wash or Raw Okies.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by braidkid View Post
keep in mind when you do wash them, all the wear will be out of place...

bottom line is, there is no difference in fade potential between one-wash and raw. if you never want to wash your jeans, that's fine.....however they're going to be stinky as hell after a while and unwearable after a year.

That's not true when you're wearing them 1-2 times a month at most. If you hang them up and let them air out, they'll be fresh as new by the next time you wear them.
post #13 of 20
I have to be honest. While I love the look of raw denim, the one washes I have ( SC Oki's and 45 rpm Sorahikos) are awesome. I love the fact that they are much softer and the color seems much richer. I just got some 5EP LDB in raw form and I'm been debating soaking them. I think I will tonight.

But to the OP, from a fit standpoint, I definitely prefer the one wash over the raw denim. Shrink to fit with $300 jeans is a big gamble.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117 View Post
That's not true when you're wearing them 1-2 times a month at most. If you hang them up and let them air out, they'll be fresh as new by the next time you wear them.

ok, we're looking at it from different perspective. you're right.

I wear mine everyday for months at a time so I have to wash more frequently. I don't want my fades to be uneven which is why I always start with one-wash even when buying raw.
post #15 of 20
Alrite kool, think i've made decided to go with ONE WASH. As long as at the end they fade somewhat the same im good with that. I jus always thought Raws fade better or quicker then One Wash.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › One Wash?