• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hand gun?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on .40 or 9mm concealed carry, single action. I like K$H, but they are damn as expensive as a pare of VASS.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I am trying to decide on .40 or 9mm concealed carry, single action. I like K$H, but they are damn as expensive as a pare of VASS.

But can a pair of Vass SAVE YOUR LIFE?!?!?!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
what is your price range? what do you need it for?

$300.00

Self defence.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What is K$H? Why single action? That seems odd.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What is K$H? Why single action? That seems odd.

It is a reversed H&K, sorry my bad. Single action because I like lighter trigger.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$300 is not a lot to work with. You probably have to go for something pre-owned or second tier manufacturers like Hipoint. You can also check out surplus. In pre-owned you may wish to check out Taurus (PT92, PT99) or Glocks. You probably looking for Double Action/Single Action instead of Single Action Only.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
SAO or double/single?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
$300 is not a lot to work with. You probably have to go for something pre-owned or second tier manufacturers like Hipoint. You can also check out surplus. In pre-owned you may wish to check out Taurus (PT92, PT99) or Glocks. You probably looking for Double Action/Single Action instead of Single Action Only.

I wouldn't go for a pre owned automatic, myself.

9 mm ammo will be cheaper, and the cheaper it is, the more you should practice, being a better thing

why do you need a handgun for self defence? have you considered, rationally, what your self defense needs are?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$300.00

Self defence.

For self defense, go with the 40cal over the 9mm. I would try and get a used pistol for 300 as your choices are going to be very limited at that price point for anything new. Someone mentioned Taurus, and they are a good buy for the money. On the secondary market you can pick them up very reasonably.

If trigger pull is very important, definately look into a pistol on the 1911 platform (they do make them in calibers other than 45). These are easily tuned and have the best trigger action availabel imo.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I wouldn't go for a pre owned automatic, myself.

9 mm ammo will be cheaper, and the cheaper it is, the more you should practice, being a better thing

why do you need a handgun for self defence? have you considered, rationally, what your self defense needs are?

I am thinking 9mm could be a bit too small. I would like to have 0.45 but they just too large for my hands and I have not seen any compacts in that calliber.
My neighbourhood street has way too many house break-ins.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so, you don't really need a handgun, you need something to defend your house, right? are you intending to carry this around?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMI Desert Eagle ( Nice and stable in the large calibers -.44MAG or .50)

Browning Hi-Power 9mm.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking 9mm could be a bit too small. I would like to have 0.45 but they just too large for my hands and I have not seen any compacts in that calliber.

If you are not going to carry the pistol, but rather use it for self defense at your home, consider a shot gun. Easy to hit things, the shot does not pass through walls (possibly saving your family), and the mere sound of racking the slide would scare all but the most determined intruder off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads