or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recommendations for a slim, everyday-use wallet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations for a slim, everyday-use wallet?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I currently have one of the J-Fold sport wallets, and while I like the look of it, it's just too bulky to keep in my pant pocket (especially since I keep it in my front pocket). I've thought about using a money-clip, but that seems a bit too inconvenient for everyday use. The other option I'm considering is one of those leather business card holders... it has a center area for holding cash (although I'd have to fold the cash in half before sticking it in), as well as 2 card holders on each side. Has anyone tried using one of these as an everyday wallet? Does it become a nuisance after a while? I basically need something to hold cash, an atm card, a credit card, and 2-3 other credit card shaped items.
post #2 of 14
Quote:
I currently have one of the J-Fold sport wallets, and while I like the look of it, it's just too bulky to keep in my pant pocket (especially since I keep it in my front pocket).   I've thought about using a money-clip, but that seems a bit too inconvenient for everyday use.  The other option I'm considering is one of those leather business card holders... it has a center area for holding cash (although I'd have to fold the cash in half before sticking it in), as well as 2 card holders on each side.  Has anyone tried using one of these as an everyday wallet?  Does it become a nuisance after a while?   I basically need something to hold cash, an atm card, a credit card, and 2-3 other credit card shaped items.
As a money clip user, I can tell you that a money clip is very convenient. Fold the bills in half, put them in the clip. What could be simpler? The combination of a simple money clip and an ultra-thin credit card holder has served me very well for many years. If you want low bulk and convenience it is hard to beat this combination.
post #3 of 14
I carry a Coach leather money clip. I carry my credit cards and cash together in it, and it has worked well for years. The magnet has never caused an issue with demagnetizing my credit cards.
post #4 of 14
www.garyscottusa.com check out post below. it is high end but none of your friends will have one. cheers, mm
post #5 of 14
I've used my J Crew "magic" wallet for years, and it would have probably lasted many more had it not gotten stolen.   I've tried other wallets, and i just find that i end up collecting to many recepits and the like.  The magic wallet keeps everything in order, stays slim, and survived beautifully despite all the abuse.   I have a combination money clip/cardholder now which i received as a present...i think i will be going back to the magic wallet. Here's a link: http://www.jcrew.com/images/nov299/b...411_BK0065.jpg
post #6 of 14
Bosca I simply love Bosca wallets. My simple billfold is two years old and gets more character daily. Extremely durable for such a soft wallet. -Tom
post #7 of 14
Quote:
The combination of a simple money clip and an ultra-thin credit card holder has served me very well for many years.
What do you use? I have been thinking about getting one very recently. I only carry my drivers license and two cards. I want to find one that is nice a small, but of resonable quality. Any suggestions?
post #8 of 14
You might want to visit T Anthony at 56th and Park and Smythson at 57th just west of 5th. The Smythson goods in pigskin seem especially well made. Both stores are expensive and neither was having a sale as of last weekend. Both stores have websites (www.tanthony.com) and (www.smythson.com),which show these items.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
You might want to visit T Anthony at 56th and Park and Smythson at 57th just west of 5th.
Thanks I will take a look.
post #10 of 14
I would also like to get one of these ultra-slim cardholders to go along with a money clip. Preferably one with a window on one side and card holder on the other to keep the ID showing, but it doesn't really matter. Most of the ones I see at 150$ or something, which is sort of unreasonable for a wallet if you ask me. Any cheaper brand suggestions?
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Quote:
The combination of a simple money clip and an ultra-thin credit card holder has served me very well for many years.
What do you use? I have been thinking about getting one very recently.  I only carry my drivers license and two cards.  I want to find one that is nice a small, but of resonable quality. Any suggestions?
I have a shell cordovan leather card case from Alden of Carmel, and a simple sterling silver money clip from Tiffany (via Ebay.)
post #12 of 14
For those who asked about credit card holders, etc... for reasonable prices and excellent quality; I included a link to Bosca above. Their leather accessories are great. AND you can get them at Nordstrom Rack for a fraction of retail. I have no interest in Bosca other than my personal satisfaction. Also, I don't happen to own a Filson wallet, but all of the clothes I have from them are amazing in durability and quality. Tom
post #13 of 14
I second Bosca as a stylish and reasonable make. Their cognac colored leather is vaguely reminiscant of Berluti's finishes. I'm on my 3rd slim card-case wallet (which I pair with a money clip, or sometimes no clip . . . to be honest I don't carry much paper cash these days). My first was a Bosca, my second was a Coach that lasted quite a while. Now I'm using one that I picked up from polo.com, that was very inexpensive, and is made out of bridle leather, so it should last quite some time. I remember looking at models from Mont Blanc, Louis Vuitton, amongst others, and thinking "you've got to be kidding me, that much for this little piece of $&#*@.
post #14 of 14
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recommendations for a slim, everyday-use wallet?