or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What do you do when a tailor ruins a suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you do when a tailor ruins a suit?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Just out of curiosity, I've read a couple of stories of people getting a suit ruined by a tailor and I wonder what happens next? Does he pay for the suit, does he just undo his work, do you rip out his nipple, do you get to pick a suit from the uncollected area?
post #2 of 16
They redo the suit. but I never had an unfixable issue

I once had MTM job go wrong, i was unhappy with the work at the fitting and how the Tailor proposed to fix it that I walked away from my deposit.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Seems reasonable, I just ordered a MTM shirt from a tailor store that was recommended on a blog and I wanted to know how to proceed if I'm unhappy. I put down a 33% deposit after the measurements and deciding on the details. Despite being recommended the guy was badly shaven, wore cheap clothes in general, and his sportcoat was a bit big...
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitofutbol View Post

Seems reasonable, I just ordered a MTM shirt from a tailor store that was recommended on a blog and I wanted to know how to proceed if I'm unhappy. I put down a 33% deposit after the measurements and deciding on the details. Despite being recommended the guy was badly shaven, wore cheap clothes in general, and his sportcoat was a bit big...

I've thrown all my original Van Gogh paintings because he never washed and cut bits of his body off.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitofutbol View Post

Seems reasonable, I just ordered a MTM shirt from a tailor store that was recommended on a blog and I wanted to know how to proceed if I'm unhappy. I put down a 33% deposit after the measurements and deciding on the details. Despite being recommended the guy was badly shaven, wore cheap clothes in general, and his sportcoat was a bit big...

You should have walked out when you first saw this person.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

You should have walked out when you first saw this person.

Quite!
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

I've thrown all my original Van Gogh paintings because he never washed and cut bits of his body off.

baldy[1].gif
post #8 of 16
Judging a tailor based on what they are wearing is a fundamental mistake and one only an idiot would make.

A tailor can't measure himself and certainly can't make objective adjustments to a garment he makes, so he must either trust an underling or another tailor to do that for him. In big houses that isn't a problem but for small one-man-bands it simply isn't worth the hassle. Not to mention that even without labour costs the cloth would run a few hundred pounds at trade price and not everyone (especially craftsmen working alone) will want to spend that money on their work clothes.

With regard to sizes, have you even measured someone for a suit? In a tightly fitted jacket you simply cannot move freely enough, let alone kneel down and fix hems etc. even if you could measure, what about a few hours bent over a pattern making adjustments? Tailoring is a basically physical skill, and as such you need the equivalent of overalls.

Beyond the practical reasons above, there is the simple adage that tailors generally dress poorly anyway. Alan Flusser (not a tailor, but regarded as king of menswear) is notorious for poorly fitting clothes, but the subjects of his advice always look good.

Not trusting a tailor because of his clothes is the same as not trusting a mechanic because he doesn't drive a Porsche. Just because it doesn't fit with your mental image, doesn't indicate that he is unskilled.
post #9 of 16
Not at all.
post #10 of 16
I don't want to get into ( what can only be seen as) e-dick measuring, but I am forced to ask how many bespoke suits you have cut and how many tailoring houses you have worked for? Failing that how many suits have you commissioned? Hell, if settle for the number if tailors you've had dinner with to justify your writing off a lifetimes training basd on how a man looks when hard at work?
post #11 of 16
Then don't.
post #12 of 16
Feel free to justify your comments in some other way then. It is important for the site to understand from where you obtained your expertise.
post #13 of 16
lurker[1].gif
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

Judging a tailor based on what they are wearing is a fundamental mistake and one only an idiot would make.

A tailor can't measure himself and certainly can't make objective adjustments to a garment he makes, so he must either trust an underling or another tailor to do that for him. In big houses that isn't a problem but for small one-man-bands it simply isn't worth the hassle. Not to mention that even without labour costs the cloth would run a few hundred pounds at trade price and not everyone (especially craftsmen working alone) will want to spend that money on their work clothes.

With regard to sizes, have you even measured someone for a suit? In a tightly fitted jacket you simply cannot move freely enough, let alone kneel down and fix hems etc. even if you could measure, what about a few hours bent over a pattern making adjustments? Tailoring is a basically physical skill, and as such you need the equivalent of overalls.

Beyond the practical reasons above, there is the simple adage that tailors generally dress poorly anyway. Alan Flusser (not a tailor, but regarded as king of menswear) is notorious for poorly fitting clothes, but the subjects of his advice always look good.

Not trusting a tailor because of his clothes is the same as not trusting a mechanic because he doesn't drive a Porsche. Just because it doesn't fit with your mental image, doesn't indicate that he is unskilled.

You say that .... I always look immaculate. wink.gif
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

Judging a tailor based on what they are wearing is a fundamental mistake and one only an idiot would make.

A tailor can't measure himself and certainly can't make objective adjustments to a garment he makes, so he must either trust an underling or another tailor to do that for him. In big houses that isn't a problem but for small one-man-bands it simply isn't worth the hassle. Not to mention that even without labour costs the cloth would run a few hundred pounds at trade price and not everyone (especially craftsmen working alone) will want to spend that money on their work clothes.

With regard to sizes, have you even measured someone for a suit? In a tightly fitted jacket you simply cannot move freely enough, let alone kneel down and fix hems etc. even if you could measure, what about a few hours bent over a pattern making adjustments? Tailoring is a basically physical skill, and as such you need the equivalent of overalls.

Beyond the practical reasons above, there is the simple adage that tailors generally dress poorly anyway. Alan Flusser (not a tailor, but regarded as king of menswear) is notorious for poorly fitting clothes, but the subjects of his advice always look good.

Not trusting a tailor because of his clothes is the same as not trusting a mechanic because he doesn't drive a Porsche. Just because it doesn't fit with your mental image, doesn't indicate that he is unskilled.

 

Yup, I can't say doing a manual job in a tight-fitting and constricting garment is wise. I prefer dedication to the craft to showmanship.


Edited by Ecstasy - 11/16/13 at 7:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What do you do when a tailor ruins a suit?