or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Obama's Unravelling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obama's Unravelling - Page 31

post #451 of 551
Think Putin describes Obama very well. Obama has played his hand very poorly with Putin. And the world is a more dangerous place than it was before Obama.
post #452 of 551
FWIW, there's not any actual evidence that Putin ever said that.



This myth that Putin is some strategic master greatly overstates his actual abilities as a leader. What are his grand coups in his 17 years in office? Russia doesn't appear to be in any better position in the world than before, certainly not since 2008.
post #453 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

What are his grand coups in his 17 years in office?

He's very good with personal finances.

As an elected official he has seen his net worth grow to $40 - $200 Billion.

In February, 2015 Bill Browder, formerly Russia's largest foreign investor told CNN's Fareed Zakaria that he believes Putin's net worth is $200 billion. Lower estimates hover around $40 billion, still making him one of the richest people on earth.Oct 7, 2015

Putin makes the Clintons seem like amateurs.
post #454 of 551
Hurray, kleptocracy!


I'm sure someone has written about this, but you have to wonder what post-Putin Russia looks like. I can't imagine it'll be a happy transition. He hasn't exactly set them up to compete in the modern economy.
post #455 of 551
Russia was a laughing stock under Yeltsin, Putin did a great job making Russia relevant again and stealing Crimea(lease would run out in20smth years). He is easily best leader Russia had in last 100yrs or so. Obviously he isn't without flaws, but im not surprised most russians support him.

Obviously Russia and USA are unequal now, and this has it's bad sides too. In particular I don't enjoy USA efforts to neutralize Russian nuclear potential and move Nato ever closer to Russian border. This is dangerous game that my country is on the forefront of unfortunately.
Edited by wojt - 8/9/16 at 8:33am
post #456 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

Putin did a great job making Russia relevant again and stealing Crimea

 

The residents of Crimea are primarily Russian-speakers and Crimea was part of the USSR until 1954.  This isn't exactly like Saddam "annexing" Kuwait or Israel occupying the West Bank and Gaza.

post #457 of 551
I'm aware of that, but still was it was legally part of Ukraine and Russia had lease to use Sevastopol Naval Base only until 2042, so this secured a crucial interest for them long term
post #458 of 551
Yeltsin was far smarter than Putin. Putin is just a thug, and always will be. The backwards people of Russia were not ready for what Yeltsin opened the doors for.
post #459 of 551
No love for Gorby? Seriously?
post #460 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

No love for Gorby? Seriously?

Liked him to.
post #461 of 551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

FWIW, there's not any actual evidence that Putin ever said that.



This myth that Putin is some strategic master greatly overstates his actual abilities as a leader. What are his grand coups in his 17 years in office? Russia doesn't appear to be in any better position in the world than before, certainly not since 2008.

The same could be said for Obama.
post #462 of 551
Thread Starter 
Obama Catastrophe #65

Krauthammer: Russian Ops In Iran And Syria Signal "The Collapse Of The Obama Policy"
Posted By Tim Hains
On Date August 17, 2016


Charles Krauthammer comments on the news that Russian planes are flying over Iraq to operate in Syria from bases in Iran.

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: It’s hitting a lot of the moderate rebels who are in Aleppo, which is the battle going on right now, and the rebels are on the defense.

If they lose, which they are losing, it essentially means that Assad has won the war. It means that Putin has won the war.

But this is an astonishing development. The Iranians are fanatically nationalistic, they never allow anybody to operate out of their territory. For Russia to be operating bombers out of Iranian air bases and going over Iraqi territory that used to be under our control is a demonstration of the total bankruptcy and the collapse of the Obama policy. The whole idea of the Iran deal was a rapprochement between us and Iran. Instead it’s a rapprochement between Iran and Russia.

Now that all the sanctions are gone, it’s shipping over the most advanced air defense systems, using Iranian airspace, acting as allies. This has never happened before.

The entire northern part of the Middle East is now under an Iranian–Russian condominium because this administration and its naïveté has allowed Russia and Iran to progress with no resistance and with nothing on our side. You have Hezbollah in the fight as well. This is a very powerful coalition, and the Arabs are defenseless without us and we are nowhere to be seen.
post #463 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

FWIW, there's not any actual evidence that Putin ever said that.



This myth that Putin is some strategic master greatly overstates his actual abilities as a leader. What are his grand coups in his 17 years in office? Russia doesn't appear to be in any better position in the world than before, certainly not since 2008.

Putin is a good geopolitical tactician, his fatal flaw is exactly that he is weak on strategy.
post #464 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Putin is a good geopolitical tactician, his fatal flaw is exactly that he is weak on strategy.

I think it'll be interesting to see the effect of Putin's policies on the long term success of Russia. Quarter century since the fall of the USSR and I don't know how confident anyone could be that Russia is primed to be economically successful in the next century.
post #465 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

Obama Catastrophe #65

Krauthammer: Russian Ops In Iran And Syria Signal "The Collapse Of The Obama Policy"
Posted By Tim Hains
On Date August 17, 2016


Charles Krauthammer comments on the news that Russian planes are flying over Iraq to operate in Syria from bases in Iran.

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: It’s hitting a lot of the moderate rebels who are in Aleppo, which is the battle going on right now, and the rebels are on the defense.

If they lose, which they are losing, it essentially means that Assad has won the war. It means that Putin has won the war.

But this is an astonishing development. The Iranians are fanatically nationalistic, they never allow anybody to operate out of their territory. For Russia to be operating bombers out of Iranian air bases and going over Iraqi territory that used to be under our control is a demonstration of the total bankruptcy and the collapse of the Obama policy. The whole idea of the Iran deal was a rapprochement between us and Iran. Instead it’s a rapprochement between Iran and Russia.

Now that all the sanctions are gone, it’s shipping over the most advanced air defense systems, using Iranian airspace, acting as allies. This has never happened before.

The entire northern part of the Middle East is now under an Iranian–Russian condominium because this administration and its naïveté has allowed Russia and Iran to progress with no resistance and with nothing on our side. You have Hezbollah in the fight as well. This is a very powerful coalition, and the Arabs are defenseless without us and we are nowhere to be seen.

 

Krauthammer has a military-aged son.  Let's see his ass over there in the fight. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Obama's Unravelling