or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › VOTE HERE! Friday Challenge 10/18/13 - FURRINERS V MERIKUNS REDUX
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VOTE HERE! Friday Challenge 10/18/13 - FURRINERS V MERIKUNS REDUX - Page 3

Poll Results: Who Kicks Ass?

Poll expired: Oct 21, 2013  
  • 78% (68)
    FURRINERS
  • 21% (19)
    MERIKUNS
87 Total Votes  
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

I based my vote on how many fits I liked from each team. I liked 8 from the foreigners and 7 from the Americans! It was close, but I voted UN American! :fu:

 

I followed this method and got:

 

USA - 9 fits

Furriners - 11 fits

post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
 

 

I followed this method and got:

 

USA - 9 fits

Furriners - 11 fits

This is not a sound strategy.  Your vote should be based on the percentage of fits you like from each team, not the number of fits.  If the number of fits on each team was equal then it wouldn't matter.  Your count would still mean a vote for the Furriners.    

 

I think a better strategy would be a weighted average.  11 medicore fits should not beat out 9 amazing one (not to say that this is the case in this situation), but all fits are not equal.  

post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

I think a better strategy would be a weighted average.

 

lol This isn't a fulltime job, I don't have time to figure out averages.

post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

This is not a sound strategy.  Your vote should be based on the percentage of fits you like from each team, not the number of fits.  If the number of fits on each team was equal then it wouldn't matter.  Your count would still mean a vote for the Furriners.    

 

I think a better strategy would be a weighted average.  11 medicore fits should not beat out 9 amazing one (not to say that this is the case in this situation), but all fits are not equal.  

 

:lol:

 

Ok, ok. 

 

Furriners - 68.75%

USA - 47.36%

post #35 of 71
Thread Starter 
i really think i will have to abstain from voting. never did that before.
post #36 of 71

Maybe we should have a weighted average? Best fit should have a higher weight than second best fit regardless of team. We could have a simple expression in which best fit has a weight of 30%, second best 15%, third-to-sixth 40%, and all the rest summing to 100%. Or any other formula. I think we should open up a topic on weighting determination and only after careful consideration come up with the winners (which will be the furrigners in almost all the cases, but still)...,:)

 

BTW, your argument totally rocks. But trying to make merrikuhns understand probability pretty much guarantees that they lose...:) 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

This is not a sound strategy.  Your vote should be based on the percentage of fits you like from each team, not the number of fits.  If the number of fits on each team was equal then it wouldn't matter.  Your count would still mean a vote for the Furriners.    

 

I think a better strategy would be a weighted average.  11 medicore fits should not beat out 9 amazing one (not to say that this is the case in this situation), but all fits are not equal.  

post #37 of 71

Don't need probability. Have freedom.

 

post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Don't need probability. Have freedom.

That's great.

post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoulli View Post

Maybe we should have a weighted average? Best fit should have a higher weight than second best fit regardless of team. We could have a simple expression in which best fit has a weight of 30%, second best 15%, third-to-sixth 40%, and all the rest summing to 100%. Or any other formula. I think we should open up a topic on weighting determination and only after careful consideration come up with the winners (which will be the furrigners in almost all the cases, but still)...,:)

 

BTW, your argument totally rocks. But trying to make merrikuhns understand probability pretty much guarantees that they lose...:) 

 

I think each voter should have his/her own weights.  At least here in 'Merica.  :slayer: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

Don't need probability. Have freedom.

 

No, I'm kinda busy calculating weighted averages.  

And, yes, we all have the freedom to make decisions based on faulty logic. :teach:  God Bless 'Merica.  :slayer: 

post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

 

we all have the freedom to make decisions based on faulty logic. :teach: 

 

It's not faulty logic, it's faulty rationale. :teach::teach::teach::teach::teach:

post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

 

I followed this method and got:

USA - 9 fits
Furriners - 11 fits
This is not a sound strategy.  Your vote should be based on the percentage of fits you like from each team, not the number of fits.  If the number of fits on each team was equal then it wouldn't matter.  Your count would still mean a vote for the Furriners.    

I think a better strategy would be a weighted average.  11 medicore fits should not beat out 9 amazing one (not to say that this is the case in this situation), but all fits are not equal.  

C'mon, teach. School's not in session on the weekend. smile.gif
post #42 of 71
Thread Starter 
the more the murikans try and squeeze a win out here, only makes the loss that much more obvious. frown.gif
post #43 of 71

Did we steal something?


becasue the way were are getting beat sure looks like it. 

post #44 of 71

You sure do have your own weights in 'Merica. That is why you are FATmerica...The only freedom you have is to fry as many oreos as you can...:D

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

 

I think each voter should have his/her own weights.  At least here in 'Merica.  :slayer: 

 

No, I'm kinda busy calculating weighted averages.  

And, yes, we all have the freedom to make decisions based on faulty logic. :teach:  God Bless 'Merica.  :slayer: 

post #45 of 71

You had the chance to join the best team. You didn't. Because of a stupid green card. Shame on you, sir! :p

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post
 

Did we steal something?


becasue the way were are getting beat sure looks like it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › VOTE HERE! Friday Challenge 10/18/13 - FURRINERS V MERIKUNS REDUX