or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 602

post #9016 of 10340
Your BRAKE PEDAL BROKE? Im a safety engineer, I highly suggest documenting this (photos) and submitting a complaint at safercar.gov
post #9017 of 10340
BTW - interested in hearing fit/finish details on the boots
post #9018 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

Your BRAKE PEDAL BROKE? Im a safety engineer, I highly suggest documenting this (photos) and submitting a complaint at safercar.gov

 

Apologies for not being more clear in first post.  The pedals on my car are metal plated (made to look like a race care I guess?  wasn't an option I chose), and thus have screws that hold the plates on.  The clutch pedal screws are relatively benign, but one of the brake pedal screws is rather jagged.  I can only assume my foot got stuck under the pedal when I was climbing in (size 13s get stuck everywhere it seems), and I caught the toe of the boot on the screw when pulling it out.

 

I have since put duct tape on the back of the pedal to prevent this from reoccurring.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

BTW - interested in hearing fit/finish details on the boots

 

I'll preface by saying I am new to the workboot/indyboot category, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

 

Everything came as advertised, and the QC on my one pair seemed pretty good - no visual blemishes/imperfections.  They look really good in person (immediately had attention at the office).  The fit seemed pretty loose at first, but once I cranked down the laces, they fit about right, though the toebox was roomier than I am used to (I am comparing to dress shoes, so probably just a category thing).  They are quite stiff out of the box, and will definitely need a few miles on them before they are comfortable.  The footbed feels very hard on the heel, though again this may be an inappropriate comparison to dress shoes with more cushion.  Not sure yet if this is an issue for me, as I only wore them for about 4 hours of mostly sitting down before they were damaged.

 

Happy to answer any specific questions you have.  So far, I would definitely recommend them for the $200 price point.  I have a friend who bought a pair of Thursdays, and these definitely don't have the same cheap look his suffer from, and I expect them to be more durable as well (barring any rogue brake pedals).

post #9019 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfi73 View Post
 

So unfortunately just hours after I posted them here (a jinx perhaps?), my brake pedal in my car attacked my new CXL #8 boots.
 

Picture (Click to show)

 

 

May be hard to tell from picture, but the gash is about 2mm deep and nearly an inch long.  I know with a wound like this, its impossible to cover up completely, but what I'm planning to use is the Saphir repair cream in bordeaux.  https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-renovating-recolorant-repair-cream.html

 

I was told because its a large gash to mix the cream with renovateur when applying to get a better consistency.  After that, I am planning to go over the spot with saphir cordovan cream in #8 color since I just happen to have it on hand (anyone think I would be better off with a traditional shoe cream over the cordovan cream?).

 

I'm pretty upset this happened to the boots on day 1, but am hoping this process will restore them somewhat.  Looking for any thoughts/advice from the community.

 

I wouldn't try to repair that myself.  I'd take the boots to the best cobbler / leather repair specialist I could find.  This sort of thing involves a bit of artistry and practice to match and blend the color and texture.  I'd rather have someone do it who had done it 1000 times before over 30 years than myself for the first time, trying to learn what works.

 

I'll bet you can spend ~$25 and get them back to 90% if you find the right craftsman.

post #9020 of 10340

Backed a t-shirt pack Mid March, status still hasn't updated other than 'closed - funded'

post #9021 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

Backed a t-shirt pack Mid March, status still hasn't updated other than 'closed - funded'

 

I'm in the same boat (pigment v-neck) - actually my first Gustin order.  I figured it would be a while, though I was surprised that the jeans I ordered later already has a status update. Any info would probably push it back out of my mind ;)

post #9022 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
 

 

I wouldn't try to repair that myself.  I'd take the boots to the best cobbler / leather repair specialist I could find.  This sort of thing involves a bit of artistry and practice to match and blend the color and texture.  I'd rather have someone do it who had done it 1000 times before over 30 years than myself for the first time, trying to learn what works.

 

I'll bet you can spend ~$25 and get them back to 90% if you find the right craftsman.

 

I don't think there is any real repair going on there - the leather is damaged so this is about remediation.  That said, it is totally worth it to take it by a cobbler if there is a good one handy...

post #9023 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

Backed a t-shirt pack Mid March, status still hasn't updated other than 'closed - funded'


I wouldn't be too concerned until it's closer to the estimated "Shipping" date.  I backed the black waffle henley that shows 'Shipping - April 2016', but no status update since funding closed.  Gustin just seems to behind unfortunately

 

On a positive note, the boxer briefs (Mar/Apr estimate ship date) just got shipped

post #9024 of 10340
Nice! Let us know how you like it them(or critiques)
post #9025 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 

 

I don't think there is any real repair going on there - the leather is damaged so this is about remediation.  That said, it is totally worth it to take it by a cobbler if there is a good one handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
 

 

I wouldn't try to repair that myself.  I'd take the boots to the best cobbler / leather repair specialist I could find.  This sort of thing involves a bit of artistry and practice to match and blend the color and texture.  I'd rather have someone do it who had done it 1000 times before over 30 years than myself for the first time, trying to learn what works.

 

I'll bet you can spend ~$25 and get them back to 90% if you find the right craftsman.

Took it to a local guy who most consider the best in town, and he didn't seem to want to mess with CXL leather.  Kept saying if it were a more solid calf leather that there was more he could do.

post #9026 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfi73 View Post
 

Took it to a local guy who most consider the best in town, and he didn't seem to want to mess with CXL leather.  Kept saying if it were a more solid calf leather that there was more he could do.

I've heard this before about CXL too. I suppose the buttery soft feel has it's disadvantages.... 

post #9027 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfi73 View Post
 

Took it to a local guy who most consider the best in town, and he didn't seem to want to mess with CXL leather.  Kept saying if it were a more solid calf leather that there was more he could do.

I've heard this before about CXL too. I suppose the buttery soft feel has it's disadvantages.... 

post #9028 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfi73 View Post
 

So unfortunately just hours after I posted them here (a jinx perhaps?), my brake pedal in my car attacked my new CXL #8 boots.
 

Picture (Click to show)

 

 

May be hard to tell from picture, but the gash is about 2mm deep and nearly an inch long.  I know with a wound like this, its impossible to cover up completely, but what I'm planning to use is the Saphir repair cream in bordeaux.  https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-renovating-recolorant-repair-cream.html

 

I was told because its a large gash to mix the cream with renovateur when applying to get a better consistency.  After that, I am planning to go over the spot with saphir cordovan cream in #8 color since I just happen to have it on hand (anyone think I would be better off with a traditional shoe cream over the cordovan cream?).

 

I'm pretty upset this happened to the boots on day 1, but am hoping this process will restore them somewhat.  Looking for any thoughts/advice from the community.

IMO you should use a sleeking bone and/or spoon. 

You can use some product, but beware because the product will darken the raw leather more than you think. 

I would lean on the side of the lighter polish until you have a burnished surface that will resemble a crust. 

Don't brush with a brush unless it is a new one, because the raw leather will pick up ANY of the color that is on the brush bristles. 

post #9029 of 10340
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfi73 View Post
 

Took it to a local guy who most consider the best in town, and he didn't seem to want to mess with CXL leather.  Kept saying if it were a more solid calf leather that there was more he could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsmusic1 View Post
 

I've heard this before about CXL too. I suppose the buttery soft feel has it's disadvantages.... 

There are glue-like things that can be used almost link bondo, but CXL isn't really what it is intended for.  It is a casual leather, so the good news is that patina isn't a bad thing.  I'd be a little concerned about how strong the leather is in that area.  Since it is more in the toe than the vamp it isn't the worst-case scenario, but worth keeping an eye on...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

IMO you should use a sleeking bone and/or spoon. 

You can use some product, but beware because the product will darken the raw leather more than you think. 

I would lean on the side of the lighter polish until you have a burnished surface that will resemble a crust. 

Don't brush with a brush unless it is a new one, because the raw leather will pick up ANY of the color that is on the brush bristles. 

I agree with you on the first two points - a bone or spoon will help compress/smooth the damaged area, and starting lighter and moving darker is definitely the way to go when you're applying color with something like this - you can't easily lighten that area if it winds up too dark. 

 

On the brush comment, I'd just say that you should have a brush for each color of wax/polish you have in your kit, plus one that never sees color for daily brushing and things like Saphir Reno/Lexol/Bick 4.  AE sells their very nice 6" brushes for $10, and my 8" brush was around $15 on Amazon, so it doesn't have to be a huge investment.

post #9030 of 10340

LOL.

 

Gustin - summer is coming up, so we thought its a great time to redo the heavyweight t-shirts. Everyone loves extra thick shirts in the heat!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread