or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 548

post #8206 of 10357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
 

 

Ugh, Gustin!  Stop screwing with the percentages and manipulating postings.  Its totally uncool to modify the required quantity to fund once an item has been posted.

 

This has been happening too often lately.


I'm not thrilled with it, but it may just be a reality.  They may be using an algorithm that adjust the number needed on the fly on items where scarcity of materials isn't a factor.  Example, if they have a campaign for 2 weeks and 200 units and they get orders for 150 units in the first 9 days the algorithm may do nothing, but if they get 150 orders in the first 2 days, it may up the number of units.  

 

I think it would be better if they took the approach of:  We need 200 units to make this worthwhile, but if we get the 200 units before the 2 weeks we'll keep it at 100% an inform everyone 2 day last chance to get in if your not in already and then it closes.  Its a better optic for the customer to know sooner that a campaign will definitely happen, than to see that percentage not move while the time ticks away.  The lead time from a campaign closing to shipping is like 2-3 months, it shouldn't be much of a problem for the factories to make the few extra units, (which they are making with the current system anyway).

post #8207 of 10357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
 

 

Ugh, Gustin!  Stop screwing with the percentages and manipulating postings.  Its totally uncool to modify the required quantity to fund once an item has been posted.

 

This has been happening too often lately.


I'm not thrilled with it, but it may just be a reality.  They may be using an algorithm that adjust the number needed on the fly on items where scarcity of materials isn't a factor.  Example, if they have a campaign for 2 weeks and 200 units and they get orders for 150 units in the first 9 days the algorithm may do nothing, but if they get 150 orders in the first 2 days, it may up the number of units.  

 

I think it would be better if they took the approach of:  We need 200 units to make this worthwhile, but if we get the 200 units before the 2 weeks we'll keep it at 100% an inform everyone 2 day last chance to get in if your not in already and then it closes.  Its a better optic for the customer to know sooner that a campaign will definitely happen, than to see that percentage not move while the time ticks away.  The lead time from a campaign closing to shipping is like 2-3 months, it shouldn't be much of a problem for the factories to make the few extra units, (which they are making with the current system anyway).


That is certainly possible. And they definitely fudge the numbers frequently.

They could do what Taylor Stitch does: have a minimum amount, but allow for over funding, obviously within the limits of the raw materials.

/mobile
post #8208 of 10357

The (illusion or reality) of scarcity can be a big factor in marketing. Gustin probably doesn't want to let out whether or not the fabric really is limited in quantity or not, but to allow as many orders as the market will support for those with lots of fabric.

post #8209 of 10357
🤔
Like chocolate and peanut butter
Like strawberries and cream
Like... Gustin Okayama and EG Galway rosewood 64 last
post #8210 of 10357
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercats View Post


That is certainly possible. And they definitely fudge the numbers frequently.

They could do what Taylor Stitch does: have a minimum amount, but allow for over funding, obviously within the limits of the raw materials.

/mobile

 

 

Yes, basically the same thing.  I don't have any experience with Taylor Stitch, the fact that they can do it that way and stay in business, makes Gustin's "moving the goal-posts" even more annoying.

post #8211 of 10357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertson View Post
 

The (illusion or reality) of scarcity can be a big factor in marketing. Gustin probably doesn't want to let out whether or not the fabric really is limited in quantity or not, but to allow as many orders as the market will support for those with lots of fabric.

 

 

But they do this anyway.  Every so often the item description will read something along the lines of:  "We're so fortunate to get our hands on this scarce fabric from XYZ....."

 

Its also not that hard to figure out what fabrics run in short supply.  I don't remember (have to see if its still in my history record), but I ran across a list of denim from a supplier that stated the mill, weight, warp and weft, etc and how much they had available.  About half were as much as needed on demand.  You can also get a pretty good feel by how often campaigns get re-run, and how some campaigns open and close super fast.

 

Don't get me wrong, overall I'm pleased with what Gustin is doing, but on the issue referenced previously, in my opinion they can improve.

post #8212 of 10357
I just want to respectfully note that VERY few items go unfunded so I see very little reason to be concerned if I back it and don't see the percentage change. There are any number of reasons that could happen- maybe there is >100 in the lot, maybe someone canceled while I was ordering, maybe there is a brief lag in the system updates, etc. I've even wondered if they use some type of algorithm which, under certain conditions, increases the available slots. For example, they reserve an additional 50 units if the item is (a) funded >70% (b) has > 7days left and (c) has enough available fabric

Anyway, it's all fairly irrelevant if the item is going to fund anyway
post #8213 of 10357

I agree with everything said above with regard to the goalpost adjustments Gustin makes midway through a posting.

 

Certainly our observations are not always explained by the possibility of >100 units causing the % to not increment after one person backs the item.  There have been multiple cases when an item shoots up fast to 75%, 95%, etc showing there is strong demand, and then sticks for days without climbing.  I flagged one on here a few weeks ago for the Japan white oxford.  I backed it and it didn't go up, then a few other people backed it without it going up, then it sat there for days without climbing, then finally started climbing again.  I'm sure that item was being manipulated, either intentionally or accidentally by a bug.

 

Its very true that items almost always fund and we've also seen numerous cases where an item got a time extension when it had not yet reached 100% when the time expired.  And we've seen items not make it to 100% but get sufficiently close that Gustin makes them anyway.

 

Maybe I should just get over it and not allow this to bother me as it doesn't affect the price I pay or whether I get an item I want to back.  So why does it bug me?!?

 

I think its that I enjoy the Gustin model.  I enjoy the hunt for the items, the pursuing items I want that are rare, the race to decide, commit, and back items before they are sold out.  Its like a game for me to shop at Gustin.  But it ruins that fun and excitement for me when the rules change midway through or one of the other players appears to be cheating.

 

So I recommend to Gustin that they think of other ways to achieve the business objectives of selling more items without corrupting their model.  There's more than one way it can be done, some of them mentioned previously.

 

(1) have two thresholds - min to fund and max to sell out

(2) repost an item shortly after if it sells out quickly if there are additional copies available (I've seen this fairly often on Gustin)

(3) explicitly flag items that are granted an increase in availability so its clear and not like secretly changing the rules.  You could even post from the start how many are available, and then add a flag saying "10 more added due to high demand!", "50 more added due to increase in material availability!" etc.  I would enjoy this change a lot!

 

But don't move the goalpost midway through the game.  Don't mess with the numbers please.

post #8214 of 10357
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsmusic1 View Post

Anyway, it's all fairly irrelevant if the item is going to fund anyway

That's the key for me.  If I choose to back an item, I know it will fund.  I've been a Gustin customer for around 2 years and I've seen maybe 3 items not fund.  Lunar eclipses happen more frequently.  Some people make a fair point that it's irritating seeing an item funding progress number clearly manipulated.  I get that.  I'd much rather a company be transparent and find a way to show what's actually happening.  Maybe some concept where each backer actually contributes to the percentage and some campaigns would potentially go over 100% to any given number, like 125% or 150% depending on access to materials.  This would only happen if an item funded in advance of the time limit and would by no means be a guaranteed option.  It could go unsaid and keep the onus on the buyer.  If you want it, make sure you fund it in time before it hits 100%, anything extra should be considered lucky/fortunate, and don't cry if you don't get in before 100%.  Gustin makes a ton of headscratching/infuriating decisions in my opinion, from the store credit only, no tapered fit option, scoops or die, etc.  I still am a consistent customer because the good outweighs the bad for me.  I treat them like a regular store and don't concern myself with funding bars... back a product, get it in awhile.    

post #8215 of 10357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
 

Its very true that items almost always fund and we've also seen numerous cases where an item got a time extension when it had not yet reached 100% when the time expired.  And we've seen items not make it to 100% but get sufficiently close that Gustin makes them anyway.

 

Maybe I should just get over it and not allow this to bother me as it doesn't affect the price I pay or whether I get an item I want to back.  So why does it bug me?!?

 

So I recommend to Gustin that they think of other ways to achieve the business objectives of selling more items without corrupting their model.  There's more than one way it can be done, some of them mentioned previously.

 

But don't move the goalpost midway through the game.  Don't mess with the numbers please.

 

 

Note I edited out a bunch of great stuff by mountainman3520 for the sake of space

 

"Why does it bug me?!?"  I couldn't have said it any better.  Gustin is making products that are generally considered great at a great price, yet they mess with the implied model, engendering irritation on the part of the customers. WHY?  People like your stuff, they like you; you don't need to lead them on.   Its like being on an airplane waiting to take off thats delayed.  The airline KNOWS its going to be at least 2 hr, but they won't say that.  They'll say 20 mins, then just another 30 mins, then shortly, then some other excuse.  People get WAY more irate than if you just told them, "hey it looks like its going to be around 2 hrs" from the start.  Your stuck on the plane anyway!  That lack of information is far worse than the bad news.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medoc View Post
 

That's the key for me.  If I choose to back an item, I know it will fund.  I've been a Gustin customer for around 2 years and I've seen maybe 3 items not fund.  Lunar eclipses happen more frequently.  Some people make a fair point that it's irritating seeing an item funding progress number clearly manipulated.  I get that.  I'd much rather a company be transparent and find a way to show what's actually happening.  Maybe some concept where each backer actually contributes to the percentage and some campaigns would potentially go over 100% to any given

number, like 125% or 150% depending on access to materials.  This would only happen if an item funded in advance of the time limit and would by no means be a guaranteed option.  It could go unsaid and keep the onus on the buyer.  If you want it, make sure you fund it in time before it hits 100%, anything extra should be considered lucky/fortunate, and don't cry if you don't get in before 100%.  Gustin makes a ton of headscratching/infuriating decisions in my opinion, from the store credit only, no tapered fit option, scoops or die, etc.  I still am a consistent customer because the good outweighs the bad for me.  I treat them like a regular store and don't concern myself with funding bars... back a product, get it in awhile.    

 

The first point is important and easily fixable, as many have stated.  The second one, is of course subjective, yet possible more important.  Obviously, in your case, the things that keep Gustin from being perfect haven't changed your buying habits.  But the problem for Gustin is they aren't creating the next great thing, or finding the cure for cancer, and then working on the cure for AIDS.  It a model that can be easily copied, and if new competitors come in and correct some of those issues it could be bad for Gustin.  The "goal-post" issue just seems like something that is so easy to fix and will likely create lots of good will with their customers both old and new. 

 

Anyway, I certainly feel I've beaten this horse way past dead.  I hope Gustin listens to their customers on this and makes improvements, but ultimately I wish them success regardless.

post #8216 of 10357

Those are good points. There is a certain gamification to the whole business model that makes buying from Gustin more fun or interesting. If the percentage/score is being manipulated though that is undermined.

post #8217 of 10357

Some interesting points / perspectives here that I haven't really thought about. I remember watching a few items closely when I first started backing Gustin products but I rarely even monitor the status bar at this point. I don't typically even look at the status bar after I fund the item. Any movements go largely unnoticed by me unless over a wk goes past and I haven't gotten the email that it funded - even then though, if I go back and see it over 70% I move on. I've never had an item I backed not go through. Clearly not everyone has the same approach though and I certainly don't mean to imply that one is any better than the other. Good food for thought for G in either case. 

 

On another note - What do you guys think about something like the Italy Sea Blue (#156) for a WS? It's on the lighter side at 12oz, it's different enough from a classic indigo to not feel repetative but it is probably still close enough to satisfy those in the market for that type of look, and it's got a colored weft. May be interesting  

post #8218 of 10357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I agree with everything said above with regard to the goalpost adjustments Gustin makes midway through a posting.

Certainly our observations are not always explained by the possibility of >100 units causing the % to not increment after one person backs the item.  There have been multiple cases when an item shoots up fast to 75%, 95%, etc showing there is strong demand, and then sticks for days without climbing.  I flagged one on here a few weeks ago for the Japan white oxford.  I backed it and it didn't go up, then a few other people backed it without it going up, then it sat there for days without climbing, then finally started climbing again.  I'm sure that item was being manipulated, either intentionally or accidentally by a bug.

Its very true that items almost always fund and we've also seen numerous cases where an item got a time extension when it had not yet reached 100% when the time expired.  And we've seen items not make it to 100% but get sufficiently close that Gustin makes them anyway.

Maybe I should just get over it and not allow this to bother me as it doesn't affect the price I pay or whether I get an item I want to back.  So why does it bug me?!?

I think its that I enjoy the Gustin model.  I enjoy the hunt for the items, the pursuing items I want that are rare, the race to decide, commit, and back items before they are sold out.  Its like a game for me to shop at Gustin.  But it ruins that fun and excitement for me when the rules change midway through or one of the other players appears to be cheating.

So I recommend to Gustin that they think of other ways to achieve the business objectives of selling more items without corrupting their model.  There's more than one way it can be done, some of them mentioned previously.
(1) have two thresholds - min to fund and max to sell out Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
(2) repost an item shortly after if it sells out quickly if there are additional copies available (I've seen this fairly often on Gustin)
(3) explicitly flag items that are granted an increase in availability so its clear and not like secretly changing the rules.  You could even post from the start how many are available, and then add a flag saying "10 more added due to high demand!", "50 more added due to increase in material availability!" etc.  I would enjoy this change a lot!

But don't move the goalpost midway through the game.  Don't mess with the numbers please.

This one makes the most sense to me. It's important to bear in mind that web development is expensive and time-consuming, and the folks at Gustin seem to keep their head count relatively lean (it's possible they outsource a bunch of the site-related stuff). It seems like there are a few ways to address this issue:

1) have two % bars for each campaign, one with the minimum to produce the item and the other with the max available (probably requires the most development)
2) change the color of the % bar when they hit the minimum but keep the % relative to the maximum available (I've seen the bar change colors before when a campaign nears 100%, but I don't know how flexible or dynamic this functionality is on their end)
3) on each product page, include language along the lines of "we will produce this if we hit x% of the available number of units" (requires no additional development, just a change to processes)
post #8219 of 10357

Any chance Gustin would do something like the N&F "Vegan", or is that too niche/weird? Natural indigo & organic.

post #8220 of 10357
Anyone here get their #265 Japan 21 yet? They've been "shipping through the end of the month" since about the 7th or so and mine are still waiting. I'll lose my mind of they get canned for "quality" issues in the final hour like the cone canvas frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread