or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 189

post #2821 of 3911
*

Edited by 4characters - 8/4/14 at 11:24am
post #2822 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
 

Anyone address the issue of using white vinegar in helping soften denim?

 

Also, with something is deep as The Beast or 23 ounce, how does one stop the denim bleed?

Some people believe that vinegar will set the dye and reduce bleed. Levi's recommends vinegar for their 501 STFs for this reason. However, there was recently a discussion on this topic on Gustin's community board, and many people believe its a myth. Still, if you want to try it I don't think it will do any harm.

 

I've never heard of vinegar being recommended as a softener. IMO, the best way to soften jeans is to just wear them :)

post #2823 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieIsMyCat View Post
 

Some people believe that vinegar will set the dye and reduce bleed. Levi's recommends vinegar for their 501 STFs for this reason. However, there was recently a discussion on this topic on Gustin's community board, and many people believe its a myth. Still, if you want to try it I don't think it will do any harm.

 

I've never heard of vinegar being recommended as a softener. IMO, the best way to soften jeans is to just wear them :)

Thanks, Bernie.  I don't want to take risks with The Twenty Six.  For me, they are the holy grail of jeans and I am glad to have them.  I can risk a different pair, like the Unbranded 21 oz. but not these.  I also won't mess with The Zimbabwe (my dressier jeans).  The Unbranded are going to be shoveling snow, working outdoors in the cold jeans.  

 

I continue to learn.  There are just so many myths on raw denim.  The single most widely spread one about not washing jeans has never appealed to me. 

post #2824 of 3911

What I have found to be true through my own experience:

 

1.  Washing the jeans NOT inside out will leave lots of fade marks from the washing machine that don't look great.  

 

2.  Wearing my Gustins damp, in the beginning, has helped mold them nicely to my body shape.  

 

3.  Being able to, even with herculean effort, get that top button closed on the Gustins means that in a day or so, the fit will be good.

 

4.  Measuring my jeans the way the Gustin website says has worked well for me, wife, son, daughter with Gustins' fit.  

 

 Beyond that, lots of things appear to either by myths, or just untried ideas for me.  

post #2825 of 3911

I may be nuts, but I just backed #72 The Grey Silk in 36 Straight...... even though I have yet to receive my first pair of Gustin jeans (The Heavy American will be coming this September).

I was browsing through the older offerings on the Gustin site and came across The Grey Silk and just was blown away at how beautiful the denim looked.  Very interesting and unique.  So, I signed up a couple weeks ago to be notified if it ever came back.  I didn't think it would be so soon.  I was notified last night by email and by this morning, the campaign was about 81% backed.  I thought to myself "I'm not the only one who thinks that this particular denim is special".  I went ahead and backed it this morning..... sticking ot the same size that I ordered for the Heavy American..... and hoping that they both are the "right" size.

I have a question though.  If my first pair of the Heavy American ships in September, and the pair of Grey Silk ships the following month in October, would I have enough time to evaluate the fit of the first pair I receive to be able to change my sizing for the next pair if I felt the need to?  The Gustin website says that you can modify your size until they start production, but I have no idea how quickly they typically start production after a campaign is fully backed.  For example, in my Order Status on their website, it still gives me the option to modify the size of my pair of the Heavy American jeans, even though it's been over a week since the campaign has been fully backed.  That just tells me that they have not gone to production yet, but it is scheduled to ship by the next month..... so I know that it will go to production soon, but I have no idea how long that typically is.

 

Ben

post #2826 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercitizen View Post
 

I have a question though.  If my first pair of the Heavy American ships in September, and the pair of Grey Silk ships the following month in October, would I have enough time to evaluate the fit of the first pair I receive to be able to change my sizing for the next pair if I felt the need to? 

I doubt you'll can change the size of the Grey Silk in September. Usually Gustin starts prouduction 6 weeks before shipping. Thus you can only change the delivery address but not the size anymore.

post #2827 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmie View Post
 

I doubt you'll can change the size of the Grey Silk in September. Usually Gustin starts prouduction 6 weeks before shipping. Thus you can only change the delivery address but not the size anymore.

 

Thanks for the info.  I guess I just need to hope that the 36 Straight is "my size".  I went by the fit guide on the Gustin website so I'm pretty confident.  Maybe I should've practiced a bit of patience this morning though before I backed the campaign for the Grey Silk.  Oh well, it was before I had my coffee...... crazy things happen within that timeframe of my day.

 

Ben

post #2828 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercitizen View Post
 

 

Thanks for the info.  I guess I just need to hope that the 36 Straight is "my size".  I went by the fit guide on the Gustin website so I'm pretty confident.  Maybe I should've practiced a bit of patience this morning though before I backed the campaign for the Grey Silk.  Oh well, it was before I had my coffee...... crazy things happen within that timeframe of my day.

 

Ben


I backed a 36 straight Grey Silk in April as well. Perfect fit (for me!) but cannot be cuffed properly due to the "silky" material. Nevertheless nice jeans but a little bit overrated...

post #2829 of 3911

Ben,

 

welcome to the addiction.  

 

I can quit anytime I want to.  Really.  I could. I just choose not to.  Maybe I will cut down first, you know, taper off.  But I am not an addict.  I am not an addict.  I am not an addict. 

post #2830 of 3911
Hope it works out for you with the Grey Silks. They don't come around often, before these two it was like February o something early in the year. If you missed it, you'll probably have had to wait several months, with an inevitable price increase.
post #2831 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post

Ben,

welcome to the addiction.  

I can quit anytime I want to.  Really.  I could. I just choose not to.  Maybe I will cut down first, you know, taper off.  But I am not an addict.  I am not an addict.  I am not an addict. 

Three pairs of denim, a card wallet, red selvedge chambray shirt, and the super thick (girthy) brown belt all point to you and I sharing the same canoe.
post #2832 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
 

Ben,

 

welcome to the addiction.

 

I can quit anytime I want to.  Really.  I could. I just choose not to.  Maybe I will cut down first, you know, taper off.  But I am not an addict.  I am not an addict.  I am not an addict.

 

LOL

 

Ben

post #2833 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by devastitis View Post

Hope it works out for you with the Grey Silks. They don't come around often, before these two it was like February o something early in the year. If you missed it, you'll probably have had to wait several months, with an inevitable price increase.

 

That's reassuring.  I see that I just got the email that the campaign for the Grey Silk has been fully funded and my card has been charged.  I kind of had a feeling it would go that way (a very short and quick campaign).  As with anything in clothing, fit is so key.  A great deal on something that doesn't fit, is money wasted.  The Grey Silk is definitely at the upper end of the price spectrum with Gustins, but the fabric looks unbelievable to me.  I'd hate to get the pair of Heavy Americans and have them turn out fitting perfectly and not have the Grey Silk pair on the way.

Sometimes, you've gotta take your chances in life.  You win some, you lose some.

 

Ben

post #2834 of 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercitizen View Post

That's reassuring.  I see that I just got the email that the campaign for the Grey Silk has been fully funded and my card has been charged.  I kind of had a feeling it would go that way (a very short and quick campaign).  As with anything in clothing, fit is so key.  A great deal on something th
Code:
at doesn't fit, is money wasted.  The Grey Silk is definitely at the upper end of the price spectrum with Gustins, but the fabric looks unbelievable to me.  I'd hate to get the pair of Heavy Americans and have them turn out fitting perfectly and not have the Grey Silk pair on the way.


Sometimes, you've gotta take your chances in life.  You win some, you lose some.

Ben

Grey Silks is one of those rare unique denims that even if they don't fit, you'll be able to sell them for the same price you bought them at or very close to it.
post #2835 of 3911

Need help sizing with chore coat.  I wear Medium in shirt. 

 

I noticed that their chore coat chest size (42.5") is smaller than their shirt chest size (43.5).  Should I size up on chore coat?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread