Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAccessoriestagged by StyleforumRobot, 1/4/15
- categoryBeltstagged by StyleforumRobot, 1/4/15
- categoryDenimtagged by StyleforumRobot, 1/4/15
- categoryJeanstagged by StyleforumRobot, 1/4/15
- topicMade In The United Statestagged by StyleforumRobot, 1/4/15
- categoryShirtstagged by StyleforumRobot, 1/4/15
Related Forum Threads
- Engineered Garments SS15 Last post on 10/26/15 at 3:41pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- KMW 1980's, J.Crew shirt, Dry Bones and Sugar Cane belts Last post on 3/4/11 at 12:08am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread Last post on Today at 9:01 pm in Streetwear and Denim
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 3/6/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 114post #1697 of 98904/16/14 at 11:58amQuote:
That will cause the denim to fade uniformly all over. You won't get whiskers on the hips, honeycombs at the knees, or contrast in the areas with the most wear. Nothing wrong with wanting uniform wear, but most folks who like raw denim want fading with contrast.post #1698 of 98904/16/14 at 1:32pmHalf an hour later and the 23oz is just sitting at barely 25% funding, stark contrast to the 26oz selling out in less than half that time. I think the same price tag for the two pairs is a bit off putting, combined with Gustin saying the 23oz will be back in July. $200 is still cheap for a 23oz, but I'm sure a lot of people are still thinking, "damn, coulda gotten 26oz for that price." I doubt most people would really notice the 3oz difference, but a denim that heavy is significantly harder to find/obtain. *shrug* Don't think you can go wrong picking it up though. If I was looking to get a pair of standard colored jeans, I'd probably hop on.post #1699 of 98904/16/14 at 1:37pmpost #1700 of 98904/16/14 at 1:46pmpost #1701 of 98904/16/14 at 1:48pmpost #1702 of 98904/16/14 at 4:13pmI backed the Heavyweight in 34" straight desperately hoping that the measurement will fit. It's a bit confusing reading that some are tighter than others but my comfortable jeans measure 17 1/2" across buttoned closed. I live in Maine. It snowed today. I wonder if I should have ordered 35" waist. I have gone by their guide. I hope the Heavyweight stretches out well. Like others, I have large thighs from picking up heavy things and putting them back down again.
Edited by Oldguy - 4/16/14 at 4:24pmpost #1703 of 98904/16/14 at 6:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Nuckinya
Finally got my first pair of Gustins today! And they got here super quick, which I'm happy about. I got the Okayama Standards in a 30 straight. They look and feel amazing, but jeez you guys weren't lying when you said the leg openings were huge on the straights. I've also found that the knee and calf area are pretty big too, but this is all easily fixed.
My one reservation with these is the size on the waist. I can get them buttoned pretty easily. I mean the only struggle with buttoning them up is how stiff the button hole is. Once they are buttoned up however, they do feel a bit tight, but I'm worried that it's not tight enough at this initial stage? Especially if it's going to stretch up to an inch.
So I guess my questions are:
1. when you guys talk about how tight it should be around the waist on first wear (and buttoned up), are you talking so tight that you had to suck in your stomach to get it all buttoned up? Or just tight enough that it feels slightly uncomfortable, but was not too much of a struggle to get on and button up in the first place.
2. If this is the case and I've purchased a size too big, what are some ways that I can use to minimize stretching in the waist?
I have three pairs of Gustins, and they fit about like yours. I could button them up without sucking in my stomach. I don't want my jeans skin tight, so I could never wear a pair that I couldn't get all the buttons done up initially. You could do a warm water wash or soak at some point to shrink them down a little if you wanted a tighter fit.Quote:Originally Posted by jameslow23
Hey sounds like you got a good fit.
I've got 3 pairs, all 33 Slim and the Raw Umber seems to be the smallest in waist. The others are comfortable.
What i'm saying is, the fabric will only stretch to how much you want it to. If it's not too tight from the onset, it will only stretch till it's comfortable enough.
That's been about my experience as well. They stretched in the waist until they fit, and haven't kept stretching. I'm sure after a few months they will stretch a little more, and then I'll do another cold wash and they'll shrink back a little and fit perfect again for a few months.
I'm also surprised The Heavyweight 23oz are still around 35%. Being so heavy and starting that dark, I think they are going to develop some high-contrast fades. I backed them.post #1704 of 98904/16/14 at 6:27pm
Something i tried, especially for those looking to stretch your denim a little faster/make them more comfy faster, is to do a cold soak for about 40-1 hr. No indigo will be lost. Leave them to air dry till damp and then put them on till dry. I find that this helps the denim mould to your body and stretches them in the right areas to fit perfect.post #1705 of 98904/16/14 at 7:01pmpost #1706 of 98904/16/14 at 8:35pmQuote:
If you haven't already, measure your N&F jeans, and compare to Gustin's fit guide to be sure. You should aim for 1" smaller in the waist for your 23's to account for subsequent stretch. You can edit your size up until the fabric goes in for cutting.post #1707 of 98904/17/14 at 2:29amQuote:
I'll second what Berniels said, measure your current jeans and then compare to the Gustin fit guide. My three pairs of Gustins measured almost exactly what the fit guide said.post #1708 of 98904/17/14 at 4:47amQuote:
Is there a difference in dealing with the stretch with these heavyweights rather than the lighter jeans?
My jeans measure 17.25 to 17.5 (two different pair)...
I have ordered 34" in the Heavyweights, while waiting on May delivery for another pair (Zimbabwe) also at 34".
I went the .5" size down that their sizing guide instructs when I ordered the Zimbabwe.
Should I go up to the 35" in the Heavyweights, since the material is so much thicker?
Also, after the editing process disappears, generally how long until jeans ship?
I am also thinking that in the long cold Maine winter, I generally put on a few pounds, so I think going up a size might be wise, but I would like to hear from others. It ain't easy buying without trying on!
Edited by Oldguy - 4/17/14 at 6:15ampost #1709 of 98904/17/14 at 7:43amAs a really general guide, heavier denim will probably stretch less. But that's very general. What matters more is the tightness of the weave of the denim. Unless you're told explicitly about the tightness/looseness, it's hard to say how much it'll stretch. e.g. my 14oz PBJ 005's stretched WAY more than my 21oz IH 634s (3 inches versus 1.5).post #1710 of 98904/17/14 at 9:56amQuote:Originally Posted by who8mahrice
As a really general guide, heavier denim will probably stretch less. But that's very general. What matters more is the tightness of the weave of the denim. Unless you're told explicitly about the tightness/looseness, it's hard to say how much it'll stretch. e.g. my 14oz PBJ 005's stretched WAY more than my 21oz IH 634s (3 inches versus 1.5).
Between the thickness and the natural tendency to slow down in winter and put on a few lbs, I think going up the .5" might be wise.
The "Heavyweight" is not moving quickly.
I missed out the Twenty-Six, as it went in minutes.
Why is this not running so quickly?
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › WTF over-zealous police? 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Santoni Shoe Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 10 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 11 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 12 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 15 minutes ago
- › Are there rules for wearing a colour t-shirt under a dress shirt? 17 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding