So I received my first pair of Gustins last week - the Okayama Standards. My first foray into raw denim. I know this has been covered to death but a couple questions on how to proceed. First of all I got the slims and I can button the top button but barely. I mean we're talking internal organ damage if I kept these on too long. So here are my questions:
1) What's the next step? Cold soak? For how long? And then do I wear them wet? And for how long?
2) I need to get them hemmed but the question is how short? If I want one cuff, should I do it two inches longer?
3) Is it sacrilege to change out the button fly for a zipper? I frigging hate button flys. Don't even understand why people like them.
1) Just wear them to stretch out the waist. If you don't want to do that, you can cold soak it inside out for like 30-45 minutes (I used woolite dark) and then stretch the waist with your hands and then hang dry which is what I did. I wore it the next day after it was dry. Some people wear it when it's damp. It's up to you.
2) If you cold soak it, hopefully it got rid of any potential shrinkage and then you can get hem hemmed. How much is up to you and how big you want the cuff.
3) Can't help you there. I like button flys.