or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread - Page 51

post #751 of 1064
Thread Starter 

Gentlemen,

 

Please find a list of locations and dates for our upcoming Trunk Show to the USA. If there are any questions or to book appointment, please email: marketing@foster.co.uk or phone +442079305385

 

USAItinerary.jpg 321k .jpg file

 

 

 

 

We look forward to hearing from you!

 

Foster & Son

post #752 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterandSon View Post

Gentlemen,

Please find a list of locations and dates for our upcoming Trunk Show to the USA. If there are any questions or to book appointment, please email: marketing@foster.co.uk or phone +442079305385

USAItinerary.jpg 321k .jpg file






We look forward to hearing from you!

Foster & Son

Thank you for putting Boston on your Itinerary!
post #753 of 1064

Will they be bringing any of the RTW collection or is this strictly a bespoke order trip?

post #754 of 1064
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaur View Post
 

Will they be bringing any of the RTW collection or is this strictly a bespoke order trip?

 

beau, there will be rtw shoes there. We generally don't bring large numbers with us, it's mainly a selection of shoes on different lasts and so on for people to understand fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post


Thank you for putting Boston on your Itinerary!

 

Our pleasure!

post #755 of 1064
FS,

Have you posted and/or do you have any antique example of what I believe are called "cricket" oxford shoes, also known in US at one time as Ball Strap Oxfords, either in the spectator combination or one leather type. Apparently these were derived from the soft suede cricket boot where the tarsal straps served as reinforcement for that stress area. I would like to see old British versions and understand if they had any brouguing or not.


Thanks,
post #756 of 1064
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

FS,

Have you posted and/or do you have any antique example of what I believe are called "cricket" oxford shoes, also known in US at one time as Ball Strap Oxfords, either in the spectator combination or one leather type. Apparently these were derived from the soft suede cricket boot where the tarsal straps served as reinforcement for that stress area. I would like to see old British versions and understand if they had any brouguing or not.


Thanks,

 

marcodalondra,

 

I'll ask the team to check what we have. Just in case there are any terminological questions, do you have a picture you could post?

 

Foster & Son

post #757 of 1064
They now all call them with different names...

G&G D'Annunzio:


Bestetti Gladiator:


Jefferey West add the word "Cricket" to each of their model built like that:


And this was a C&J Cricket Spectator:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90


A BB reproduction of the original Cricket Boot
post #758 of 1064
Thread Starter 

marcodalondra,

 

Thank you for this. I'll check soonest.

 

Foster & Son

post #759 of 1064
Thanks. It would also be interesting to know if they are/were known by a different name on your old catalogues/ records.
post #760 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

They now all call them with different names...

G&G D'Annunzio:


Bestetti Gladiator:


Jefferey West add the word "Cricket" to each of their model built like that:


And this was a C&J Cricket Spectator:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90


A BB reproduction of the original Cricket Boot

Misawa Noriyuki's Tarsal Spectators Materna Style

post #761 of 1064
Thread Starter 

marcodalondra,

 

Those are lovely shoes.

 

Foster & Son

post #762 of 1064
Thread Starter 

US Trunk Shows

 

I should have asked earlier, are there any specific shoes, bespoke or RTW that you would like to see at the trunk shows when we are in the States?

 

Foster & Son

post #763 of 1064
Thread Starter 

Foster & Son Competition

 

Gentlemen,

 

Another big competition with a small prize.

 

The question today is:

 

Which person/firm makes or made the best shoes in the world? You must pick both a bespoke and a rtw maker. You are not limited to current shoemakers, and can pick any company or craftsperson from any time in history. You must justify your answer in words and pictures.

 

The prize, as ever, is a tin of Foster’s polish and a polishing cloth delivered anywhere in the world.

 

Foster & Son

post #764 of 1064
Thread Starter 

Chaps, no responses?

 

Part of the reason for asking is to help inform our new shoe designs moving forward together with our interest in your opinions as to in what makes for the best shoes in the world.

 

There's a tin of polish and a polishing cloth for the best answer you know!

 

Foster & Son

post #765 of 1064
For me, RTW is an easy question-Alden. I chose Alden because of the Modified Last. That last is the most comfortable last and shoes made on it obviate the need for me to add an orthotic. The extended heel stay and Thomas heel provide all the support I need for the main arch and I just add a small cookie for the metatarsal arch. The banana shape is perfect for my foot and the narrow heel combined with widened forefoot mean I get a snug stable seating for my arch, with plenty of room for the rest of my foot. And it is made in a wide spectrum of fittings, so I can get the narrow heel width I need. In short, it is a perfect RTW last. Of course, there are plenty of Northampton makers who can improve on the build quality and the design choices are limited (primarily derbies), but nothing is more important than fit.

On the bespoke side, I am happy with Foster, primarily because of the good fit and design sense (I have three pairs). I will say, that there is room to improve on the quality side, and by that I am only speaking of the attention to fineness of stitching and other cosmetic things like heel detailing. I have shoes made by two other firms, each of whom used English outworkers, and in both cases, the workmanship was finer than Foster's (the only one I know by name is a Scandinavian working in the UK, who I am told is one of the best out workers ). From work that I have seen, both Lobb Paris and Delos may be the best in terms of the combination of design, workmanship and reported fit, but I haven't used them myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread