or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post

How about an introductory Group MTO of something a little different/special in keeping with the Foster & Son traditions and values.......just a thought, someone take the lead please ????? nod[1].gif

Foster & Son willing of course !!!!

Kev777,

 

That sounds like a very interesting thought, what sort of thing did you have in mind?

 

Foster & Son

post #77 of 915
Foster and Son not only sells great shoes, but also fine leather goods. I secured by British ministers dispatch case from them, and am awaiting delivery of another in black......







post #78 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG33 View Post
 

 

thanks for your reply and looking forward in seeing your new offerings..any chance they will be visible in your London boutique over the week end as I'll be in London then?

 

My question however related more to the shape of the semi brogue in the photo, will you be offering a similar shape?

 

AlexG33,

 

We will have both chisel and round toe models. I hope that we have the right style/toe shape combination for you when you visit. In time we will for sure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post


Some of the best patina I have seen on any shoe in my life was on their shop window a few years ago but sadly that was a made to order shoe. I have had a few pairs of Foster & Son shoes and the ones made by EG are a great bargain. Love the semi brogue above and can not wait to see it when it is available.

 

Farhad19620,

 

Many thanks for your kind words and appreciation. We're hoping to add the patina to our new line of shoes and the numbers of requests from SF members is making that more likely by the hour!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantimil View Post
 

I'll be monitoring this thread closely. Your products are functional works of art.

 

Quantimil,

 

Very kind indeed. I hope that when you visit the shop you can handle some of these. the years seem to have given them an aura.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post

Foster and Son not only sells great shoes, but also fine leather goods. I secured by British ministers dispatch case from them, and am awaiting delivery of another in black......







 

MoosicPa,

 

Long may you continue to use and enjoy them.

 

Best,

 

Foster & Son

post #79 of 915
Thread Starter 

Our historic bespoke shoe collection Foster & Son/ Henry Maxwell

 

Field Boots:

 

 

This is a pair of bespoke Field Boots similar to that worn by a British Cavalry officer during the First World War. The lace up style was designed to provide extra flexibility in the stirrups. They are a wonderful piece of craftsmanship and certainly one of the favourites amongst our team.

 

 

Here is a clear example of the detailing involved in the sole unit. The boot was manufactured for durability and practicality, including the harsh environment of the trenches.

 

 

An example of the stitching found on the toe cap. The boot has a stitch count of 16 per inch on the welt.

 

 

Incredibly though, this boot is a scaled down model of its full size counterpart! The precision involved in stitching a boot of this size requires unbelievable skill. These boots along with a variety of shoes were used for overseas trunk shoes. These were the days when international travel was achieved only by ferry. The smaller the item, the more the shoemaker could fit in his trunk.

 

Foster & Son

post #80 of 915

Foster and Son, 

 

Your firm is making quite a splash here in the forums. Thanks for sharing all of your posts. Keep it up! 

Cheers.

post #81 of 915
Thread Starter 

smoothie1, our pleasure, please let us know if there's anything specific you want to see. Foster & Son

post #82 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusvs View Post

[/SPOILER]

Great shoes dopey! Looks like the loafers had a recent resole?

Not sure why you say that unless because the sole is unmarked. That is because the photo is pretty old and I took it when the loafers were new. No resole yet - they are only a couple of years old.
post #83 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Not sure why you say that unless because the sole is unmarked. That is because the photo is pretty old and I took it when the loafers were new. No resole yet - they are only a couple of years old.

Ok, I see. I guess because the other pair showed some wear. Beautiful shoes nonetheless!
post #84 of 915
Excellent shoe shop in London , I have visited several time in fact whenever I go to JL or EG I always try and pop in there.
There seams to be a frequent change of management as I always find someone else at the shop but never the less the leather
and patina on their made to measure shoes are one of the best I have seen.

The RTW stuff looks to be made normally from C&J or EG last. I will pay them a visit when I am in London next.
post #85 of 915
Looking forward to more shoe stories from your collection.
post #86 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post

Excellent shoe shop in London , I have visited several time in fact whenever I go to JL or EG I always try and pop in there.
There seams to be a frequent change of management as I always find someone else at the shop but never the less the leather
and patina on their made to measure shoes are one of the best I have seen.

The RTW stuff looks to be made normally from C&J or EG last. I will pay them a visit when I am in London next.

 

Farhad 19620,

 

Many thanks for your comments. Our management has been stable for several years now and we are determined grow the business on the foundations of centuries of bespoke work. Hope to see you again soon.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post

Looking forward to more shoe stories from your collection.

 

culverwood, thank you, many more to come!

 

Foster & Son

post #87 of 915
Thread Starter 

What fifteen years does to a pair of Foster’s shoes

 

This is a re-post from our blog at http://fosterandson.wordpress.com, we thought you might like to see it.

 

 

 

A long standing customer of ours sent these pictures of a pair of Foster bespoke shoes we made for him in 1998. Originally they were dark tan in colour and we are amazed to see what time has done to them. This customer likes a high shine on his toe caps and we think it looks marvellous.

 

We asked him, ‘do you take special care of these shoes?’, his answer was uncompromising; ‘of course not, shoes are made for wearing, they are out in the rain regularly and I’ve been known to trample across fields in them.’

 

So, there you are, rain, mud, sunshine and polish!

 

We'd love to see pictures of your Foster shoes, bespoke or RTW, after a few years in the wild.

 

Foster & Son


Edited by FosterandSon - 10/16/13 at 9:58am
post #88 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterandSon View Post

daizawaguy,

Many thanks for your question and for Meister's suggestion.

It's a question of balance. We want our shoes to be seen - and handled by customers - as an intrinsic part of our living history, and for that reason we don't treat them like museum pieces. Shoes like the Chavez, above, have acquired their patina from years of exposure to sunlight and from countless hands (indeed we know that part of the pleasure of owning shoes is in the handling).

We do have leather conservators in from time to time and will make sure that we look carefully at the crocodile loafer.

Regards,

Foster & Son
And I for one Thank you for it, I applaud your attittud, it's good that the shoe lovers of all nationalities get to see these beauties up close. BTW welcome to Styleforum.
post #89 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post


And I for one Thank you for it, I applaud your attittud, it's good that the shoe lovers of all nationalities get to see these beauties up close. BTW welcome to Styleforum.

Gerry, many thanks. Foster & Son

post #90 of 915
Thread Starter 

Our historic bespoke shoe collection Foster & Son/ Henry Maxwell

 

Spectators:

 

AppleMark

 

We couldn’t help ourselves. With autumn hurling us towards winter we had to take one look back at the great summer of 2013, and what better way than with this Co-respondent. There is little need for an introduction but these fabulous shoes are at the forefront of our bespoke collection and resonate with 1920’s showmanship.

 

 

The contrast between the chestnut calf and cream suede is dramatic and would have turned heads at any occasion. The brogue pattern is simple, yet effective and, true to Maxwell craftsmanship, the stitching on the welt is no less than 15 stitches per inch.

 

The perfect shoes to be seen in back in ’27 when you stayed with Charlie Chaplin at Le Provençal, in Juan-les-Pines. And, we think, a timeless classic that's bang up to date for 2013 too.

 

AppleMark

 

Featuring a beveled waist and smooth curves throughout, the Spectator is designed for elegance.

 

 

There is a minimalistic feel to the shoe, the curves, the subtle stitching and the simple two-tone pattern to the upper seems ironic for a shoe that commands such a presence.

 

Foster & Son

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread