or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Folded Up Shirt P0rn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Folded Up Shirt P0rn - Page 248

post #3706 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

While we're at it, let's just get rid of the sleeve entirely.


I say you guys take this to its natural end...with the entirety of this forum dressing like Chip n Dale male dancers.

Except they have cuffs, don't they...

post #3707 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post

I have immense respect and regards for Carl. Hence being compared to him, or my shirt compared to his, is an honor.

As for my client's choice, I defend it wholeheartedly.

I have made plenty of ugly shirts in my day.
Luxire pricing is much lower then mine. so a sartorial mistake is not as painful in the pocket.
I regularly talk customers out of certain trendy details.
A basic well made shirt should last from 2-8+ years depending on how many shirts are in rotation.

the shirt shown, is part of a trend that has past IMO. In a year it will look as bad as a diagonally stripped banana Republic shirt from 8+? years ago.

if this shirt was requested by a customer, i would attempt to persuade them against it.
post #3708 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post


I have made plenty of ugly shirts in my day.
Luxire pricing is much lower then mine. so a sartorial mistake is not as painful in the pocket.
I regularly talk customers out of certain trendy details.
A basic well made shirt should last from 2-8+ years depending on how many shirts are in rotation.
the shirt shown, is part of a trend that has past IMO. In a year it will look as bad as a diagonally stripped banana Republic shirt from 8+? years ago.
if this shirt was requested by a customer, i would attempt to persuade them against it.


Thank you Carl.

That is solid piece of advise.

 

A recent query was for like the one below, not ordered yet :)

 

post #3709 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post


Thank you Carl.
That is solid piece of advise.

A recent query was for like the one below, not ordered yet smile.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I think I've found your client here, on the table.
post #3710 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post


Thank you Carl.
That is solid piece of advise.

A recent query was for like the one below, not ordered yet smile.gif


that shirt screams "D-bag"

add a $50 pattern surcharge and see if he still wants it.

see on this collar the maker turned the lining inward as normal(white side), you can see it on the outside of the collar.
if you do make this, have the lining turned on to the stripped side.
post #3711 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post


I think I've found your client here, on the table.

 

LOL! someone walked in to check if I was fine :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post


that shirt screams "D-bag"
add a $50 pattern surcharge and see if he still wants it.
see on this collar the maker turned the lining inward as normal(white side), you can see it on the outside of the collar.
if you do make this, have the lining turned on to the stripped side.

 

Excellent point! That was the first thing that caught my eye too. It is attention to details like this that bring respect to shirt makers like us.

 

Often, buyers come convinced. That is my look. At times, they fit well into the larger scheme of things that they have in mind. Making it to the best of our ability is the least we can do.

post #3712 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post

. Making it to the best of our ability is the least we can do.

Besides upcharges, there is a variety of subtle ways to dissuade or indicate disapproval.
post #3713 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric View Post

Carl's shirt = Big shot
Luxire's shirt = Salary slave who was probably once an extra on Night at the Roxbury
Right. Makes perfect sense. sarcasm.gif

I thought the shirt was more of a "Cocktail" '90s shirt. It is quite poor.
post #3714 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post


Thank you Carl.
That is solid piece of advise.

A recent query was for like the one below, not ordered yet smile.gif


At some point you become associated with the shirt and that association will take longer to get away from than the client's money will last.

If I happened to talk to the guy wearing that shirt, I would definitely want to know who made it.
post #3715 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post


At some point you become associated with the shirt and that association will take longer to get away from than the client's money will last.
If I happened to talk to the guy wearing that shirt, I would definitely want to know who made it.


That would make an interesting topic for a debate.

 

As long as I have made it well fitting, right to standards and to the client's requirements, I would be proud to stand by it.

 

We are in discussion with a famed theater group to make costumes for their troupe. By that logic, my reputation will be tarnished for life!

 

I think money is secondary in the discussion.

post #3716 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post


That would make an interesting topic for a debate.

As long as I have made it well fitting, right to standards and to the client's requirements, I would be proud to stand by it.

We are in discussion with a famed theater group to make costumes for their troupe. By that logic, my reputation will be tarnished for life!

I think money is secondary in the discussion.


These are separate categories.

Costume work fits the demands of a fictional world.

Douchery fits the demands of a real-world client, and a rep for ghastly styling could impair the business of any shirtmaker.

I think aiming to please regardless of any other factor (such as taste) is not the longest-term strategy.

Quote:
If I happened to talk to the guy wearing that shirt, I would definitely want to know who made it.

Label is dangling from the placket. Claudo Lugli (rhymes with..) Seems to be based in London.
Edited by mack11211 - 9/29/12 at 9:29am
post #3717 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post


That would make an interesting topic for a debate.

As long as I have made it well fitting, right to standards and to the client's requirements, I would be proud to stand by it.

We are in discussion with a famed theater group to make costumes for their troupe. By that logic, my reputation will be tarnished for life!

I think money is secondary in the discussion.

I see you have a 300x4 fabric on your site? How can that fabric hold up very long? Has anyone ordered it yet?
post #3718 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post


That would make an interesting topic for a debate.

As long as I have made it well fitting, right to standards and to the client's requirements, I would be proud to stand by it.

We are in discussion with a famed theater group to make costumes for their troupe. By that logic, my reputation will be tarnished for life!

I think money is secondary in the discussion.

I wasn't ripping on your shirt making. I was basically saying I can't get over the "cos play" or suburban shopping mall aspects of the shirt to look at the fit. I did not mean to offend - at the end of the day you need to eat and make a living. I don't believe you will gather clients from here by posting that. That may not be of interest to you.
post #3719 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post


I wasn't ripping on your shirt making. I was basically saying I can't get over the "cos play" or suburban shopping mall aspects of the shirt to look at the fit. I did not mean to offend - at the end of the day you need to eat and make a living. I don't believe you will gather clients from here by posting that. That may not be of interest to you.

 

I accept what you say Burton.

But, if I get a request to make a shirt that may not be true to my perception of 'trend', I may let the client know that.  Beyond that, if he still wants it, I would make it to the best of my ability.

post #3720 of 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


I see you have a 300x4 fabric on your site? How can that fabric hold up very long? Has anyone ordered it yet?

 

The fabric is really good. It is too early to say, but, the way I understand fabrics, it will hold up really well.

 

On an average, we make these once a week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Folded Up Shirt P0rn