or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tie basics 101
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tie basics 101 - Page 12

post #166 of 370
Thread Starter 
What do folks think of the red and yellow power ties? I see many in finance.

I adtually have one of each myself and wear the yellow on occassion
post #167 of 370
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Here are my Top 5 Basics (in order)
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 98
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 98
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 98
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 98
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 98
images and ties from BNT


Except for the first one, those are pretty terrible choices IMO.
post #168 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennius View Post

What do folks think of the red and yellow power ties? I see many in finance.

I adtually have one of each myself and wear the yellow on occassion

I generally dislike red ties. Most of the times burgundy just looks better IMO. I have a yellow grenadine tie that may get used once a year. A nice change of pace but not a staple.
post #169 of 370
^Last two are not bad but there is way too much emphasis on stripes. The first one would look 10x better on a light blue shirt and the second one does not look promising.
post #170 of 370
He's shilling.
post #171 of 370

Hey I saw this thread and wanted to see if I could get some advice. I have been spending the last two months trying to acquire all the staples items I can, in as high a quality as I possible (I spent the last two years buying everything but staple items [sf noob period])

 

Here is a list of 5 ties I am looking to pick up. This forum seems to like sam hober, so I was looking at their selection, however if someone has a better recommendation please let me know.  I find I am starting to wear ties a lot more now but so far I have been all over the place with tie selection.

 

 

 

 

 

post #172 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by table21 View Post

Hey I saw this thread and wanted to see if I could get some advice. I have been spending the last two months trying to acquire all the staples items I can, in as high a quality as I possible (I spent the last two years buying everything but staple items [sf noob period])

Here is a list of 5 ties I am looking to pick up. This forum seems to like sam hober, so I was looking at their selection, however if someone has a better recommendation please let me know.  I find I am starting to wear ties a lot more now but so far I have been all over the place with tie selection.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)














First three are excellent. Fourth is questionable. The last one... puzzled.gif

And yes, Hober is awesome.
post #173 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post


First three are excellent. Fourth is questionable. The last one... puzzled.gif

And yes, Hober is awesome.


Ya its the 4th one I am not sure about, I am looking for a patterned silver, any suggestions on a better one.

 

The last one is not the greatest, but I figure I might as well wear the regimental tie of my regiment.  I can't even find a good pic of a guy wearing one.

 

post #174 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by table21 View Post


Ya its the 4th one I am not sure about, I am looking for a patterned silver, any suggestions on a better one.

The last one is not the greatest, but I figure I might as well wear the regimental tie of my regiment.  I can't even find a good pic of a guy wearing one. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

'

If that's indeed your regiment, than wear that tie with gusto, and it absolutely should be in your top five. For most of us, while it's a cool design, it's a bit further down the list.

If you're looking for silver, plaid Prince of Wales, like this one from Hober, is a good bet.
post #175 of 370
Definitely don't worry about wearing your regimental tie with pride. The 4th tie isn't bad in my opinion, but I think a basic silver / grey grenadine, diamond weave or oxford weave might be better. If you really want a patterned one, the plaid POW suggested above is great.
post #176 of 370
Thread Starter 
I just ordered the 3rd one on your list from Hober. Your first one is navy or midnight blue? Second one is brown?

Use search function and look for silver. They have a good number of choices and some good silver blends, too. I ordered a charcoal silver grenadine that looks sweet:

http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-fina-solid-ties/charcoal-gray-silver-grenadine-fina-silk-tie-21.html
post #177 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by table21 View Post

Hey I saw this thread and wanted to see if I could get some advice. I have been spending the last two months trying to acquire all the staples items I can, in as high a quality as I possible (I spent the last two years buying everything but staple items [sf noob period])

Here is a list of 5 ties I am looking to pick up. This forum seems to like sam hober, so I was looking at their selection, however if someone has a better recommendation please let me know.  I find I am starting to wear ties a lot more now but so far I have been all over the place with tie selection.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)














Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post

First three are excellent. Fourth is questionable. The last one... puzzled.gif

And yes, Hober is awesome.

I see nothing wrong with the 4th tie. It looks to me like a Macclesfield, a traditional English pattern:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9336/of-macclesfield-ties-fudge-welts
post #178 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Definitely don't worry about wearing your regimental tie with pride. The 4th tie isn't bad in my opinion, but I think a basic silver / grey grenadine, diamond weave or oxford weave might be better. If you really want a patterned one, the plaid POW suggested above is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennius View Post

What do folks think of the red and yellow power ties? I see many in finance.

I adtually have one of each myself and wear the yellow on occassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post

First three are excellent. Fourth is questionable. The last one... puzzled.gif

And yes, Hober is awesome.

I believe I own the first 4 ties that Ennius lists. I have posted a pic of the 4th one in action in the Hober thread. I certainly respect the opinions of Archibaldleach and Flyswatter, but I think your #4 is a worthy tie in any collection.

Ennius, you will find literally no love (and lots of hate) for red ties on this forum. Personally, I like them and wear them as part of my regular rotation and make no apologies for doing so. If you like 'em, then get 'em and wear 'em. Just know that internet bullets will fly your way if you post any pic of a red tie. devil.gif
post #179 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post


I see nothing wrong with the 4th tie. It looks to me like a Macclesfield, a traditional English pattern:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9336/of-macclesfield-ties-fudge-welts

Completely agree. As info, the tie is a woven pattern tie (not a Macclesfield).
post #180 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post

And yes, Hober is awesome.

+ infinity nod[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tie basics 101