or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Moda Republic - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moda Republic - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 11

post #151 of 240
Thread Starter 

Quick reminder we'll be announcing our three winners on Sunday for the FREE shirts, make sure you make your submission now! (Unfortunately if you've won something from us already you won't be eligible)

The questions you need to answer are:

 

1) We're thinking of adding more shirts, let us know what fabrics you'd like to see more of?

2) What kind of suit fabrics do you guys want to see for our next shoot?

3) Do you guys prefer seeing clothing on models but less fabric choice? Or more choices but using a 3D rendering of the shirts instead of models 

post #152 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-ModaR View Post

Quick reminder we'll be announcing our three winners on Sunday for the FREE shirts, make sure you make your submission now! (Unfortunately if you've won something from us already you won't be eligible)


The questions you need to answer are:



 



1) We're thinking of adding more shirts, let us know what fabrics you'd like to see more of?



2) What kind of suit fabrics do you guys want to see for our next shoot?



3) Do you guys prefer seeing clothing on models but less fabric choice? Or more choices but using a 3D rendering of the shirts instead of models 



No worries! biggrin.gif Just wanted to cooperate cause I will be buying in the future from you, so I will like to see what I mentioned. smile.gif

More fabrics! biggrin.gif
post #153 of 240
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post


No worries! biggrin.gif Just wanted to cooperate cause I will be buying in the future from you, so I will like to see what I mentioned. smile.gif

More fabrics! biggrin.gif

 

Haha the post wasn't directed to you but thanks for the support :)
We're having technical issues with adding the fabric section, hope to have it soon.

post #154 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-ModaR View Post
 

 

Haha the post wasn't directed to you but thanks for the support :)
We're having technical issues with adding the fabric section, hope to have it soon.

 

No worries. :cheers:

 

Quick question, do you guys have a similar fabric like this one?

 

post #155 of 240
Thread Starter 

Hi Betelgeuse, will look into that for you and email you back thanks.

 

We will also be announcing the winners later today!

 

Thanks,

Alex

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
 

 

No worries. :cheers:

 

Quick question, do you guys have a similar fabric like this one?

 

post #156 of 240

Contest Winners! 

 

We want to extend a congratulations to the following participants!

 

Edwardthefirst

plei89
kayhill
 
Thanks for both participating in this thread, and giving us such helpful feedback! 
 
As with last time, can each of you please PM me with your email so we can start the process of having your shirts made? Thanks!
 
-Chris
post #157 of 240

Wow, thanks guys! Looking forward to it.

post #158 of 240

Congrats! :slayer:

post #159 of 240
Well done Gents

Pics in due course please?
post #160 of 240
Absolutely! Thanks guys! I'm excited!
post #161 of 240

Just wanted to share a few updates with you guys! We've further added to our shirting fabric line and are happy to introduce the excellent shirting fabrics from Leguinno. We are also looking to have Tessitura Monti fabrics in our store in the coming months when their new fabrics come in. 

 

 

 

 

 

In addition, after much demand from some of the people in StyleForum, we've added Harrisons of Edinburgh to our premium high end suiting fabrics, in addition to Loro Piana, Fintes Drago and Zegna which we have carried for years already. Harrison is quite particular about who carries their brand and so it's a great vote of confidence from them and their belief in our product for them to let us carry their fabrics in our store. 

 

 

 

 

 

Tweed lovers, contact us for some Porter & Harding tweed jackets, and our virtual stylists will get started helping you find something you like! Really excited to hear from some of you! 

 

 

 

post #162 of 240

Chris, Alex,

 

How much do you charge for wool trousers?

post #163 of 240
lurker[1].gif
post #164 of 240
So I got my suit a couple weeks ago Friday and, as promised, have posted pics below as well as my thoughts on the suit and the process itself.

I’ve stayed away from MTM in the last while due to my previous experiences with Indochino and a couple other tailors/companies. Generally speaking, you’re usually beholden to the house style of cut for the suit (boxy, trendy etc) while, with the online companies, it can be pretty hit and miss with the results you end up with without an intermediate fitting. Kent Wang seems to be the only one that has it figured out with his trial suit process and keen eye for fit evaluation; however, it seems the extra costs of shipping is partially born out in the final price.

Still, I really had no intention of purchasing from Moda Republic when I came up their thread; as already mentioned, their website photos do indicate a more trendy aesthetic while the fit of their suits strikes me as an interesting mix of more fitted in the appendages yet fuller in the body.

However, they do seem to be somewhat different, presenting a process that falls halfway between KW’s trial suit method and the “measure and pray” of the rest of the online MTM companies out there. Yes, you take measurements of yourself, like the others (although they seem to have a couple extra measurement they ask of you); but, additionally, you have other avenues of information input as well. As Betegeuse has already mentioned, you have the option of measuring your best fitting articles of clothing and sending them in (which I have found can make a significant difference in outcome), or you can simply order a standard size, with the option of tweaking measurements here and there.

I took advantage of the second option, sending in measurements of my best fitting pants and vest, and actually even took the step of sending in one of my sport coats as well. (this one that I got from ehaberdasher). They also had me take pictures of myself in said garments so that they could take a look at how they fit as well as see my posture.








Some of my own thoughts and observations:

Things I liked:
- The construction of the suit, to my own untrained eye, looks to be quite good. You could see the stitching on the back of the lapel where they did the canvassing, and it looks to be well done and, I can’t really explain it but, it just felt sturdy when I was holding and putting the garment on.

- By and large, the fit seems to be not bad and is pretty decent for a first effort. I’d prefer the pants about .5” longer, the sleeves about .25 - .5” shorter (I had asked them to be .25” shorter compared to my sportcoat but they still seem to be longer than I prefer), and a little more fitted in the body, especially in the chest (although you don’t notice it much in the photos, it’s fairly roomie and makes the waist suppression look a little awkward). Additionally, I prefer my quarters a little more open.

Things on which I think could have been improved:
- As you can clearly see, the shoulders have a significant amount of dimpling. This isn't an uncommon problem that I deal with that seems to be best rectified by unpadded shoulders and part of my motivation for sending in my sportcoat in the first place: I wanted to see if they had the ability to manufacture outside of their standard cut or whether it would be more a matter of fitting my measurements to it. It seems I got the latter. While it may be theoretically possible to correct it, I have yet to find a tailor that can do it well such that I’ve had to resign myself to the reality that a coat that doesn’t fit well in the shoulders right off the bat is highly unlikely to ever be fixed so that it does.

- The colour: when choosing the fabric, they sent me three photos of fabrics that they thought were close to what I had described which was a lighter navy. It may not really show it in the photos, but the fabric I got has a purple tinge to it; so that it looks more blue-indigo to my eye. As such, the first thing I thought of when I opened the box was that it looked kind of purple (my fiancee’s comment echoed that sentiment when I first showed her as well) and I can’t help but feel like I’m wearing a purple suit when I put it on.

So, all in all, this suit is a miss for me. I can’t really complain since it’s basically a free suit and I’m only out the costs of shipping my suit although, to be honest, I wouldn’t be too happy if I actually had to pay for the suit itself. Also, to be fair, they did offer to remake the suit, in another fabric; however, I would have to send in the suit and sportcoat again for them to see what went wrong. And, seeing as how it cost me almost $90 to ship my sportcoat off the first time, I just can’t justify spending about $180 on, what was originally to be, a free suit. So, in the end, I’ve moved on to my original plan and have purchased a suit from SuitSupply, which I have now received and am pretty happy with.

That being said, I think the mechanics are in place for a good, online MTM company and they do have the potential to really make their mark. They do have some pretty stiff competition in the suit/sportcoat department though; so if they do really want to make some hay, especially with SF members, I think that there are some areas that they will still need to learn and improve, which, from what I’m seeing, it, appears like they are at least making an effort towards .
post #165 of 240
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by facet View Post

So I got my suit a couple weeks ago Friday and, as promised, have posted pics below as well as my thoughts on the suit and the process itself.

I’ve stayed away from MTM in the last while due to my previous experiences with Indochino and a couple other tailors/companies. Generally speaking, you’re usually beholden to the house style of cut for the suit (boxy, trendy etc) while, with the online companies, it can be pretty hit and miss with the results you end up with without an intermediate fitting. Kent Wang seems to be the only one that has it figured out with his trial suit process and keen eye for fit evaluation; however, it seems the extra costs of shipping is partially born out in the final price.

Still, I really had no intention of purchasing from Moda Republic when I came up their thread; as already mentioned, their website photos do indicate a more trendy aesthetic while the fit of their suits strikes me as an interesting mix of more fitted in the appendages yet fuller in the body.

However, they do seem to be somewhat different, presenting a process that falls halfway between KW’s trial suit method and the “measure and pray” of the rest of the online MTM companies out there. Yes, you take measurements of yourself, like the others (although they seem to have a couple extra measurement they ask of you); but, additionally, you have other avenues of information input as well. As Betegeuse has already mentioned, you have the option of measuring your best fitting articles of clothing and sending them in (which I have found can make a significant difference in outcome), or you can simply order a standard size, with the option of tweaking measurements here and there.

I took advantage of the second option, sending in measurements of my best fitting pants and vest, and actually even took the step of sending in one of my sport coats as well. (this one that I got from ehaberdasher). They also had me take pictures of myself in said garments so that they could take a look at how they fit as well as see my posture.








Some of my own thoughts and observations:

Things I liked:
- The construction of the suit, to my own untrained eye, looks to be quite good. You could see the stitching on the back of the lapel where they did the canvassing, and it looks to be well done and, I can’t really explain it but, it just felt sturdy when I was holding and putting the garment on.

- By and large, the fit seems to be not bad and is pretty decent for a first effort. I’d prefer the pants about .5” longer, the sleeves about .25 - .5” shorter (I had asked them to be .25” shorter compared to my sportcoat but they still seem to be longer than I prefer), and a little more fitted in the body, especially in the chest (although you don’t notice it much in the photos, it’s fairly roomie and makes the waist suppression look a little awkward). Additionally, I prefer my quarters a little more open.

Things on which I think could have been improved:
- As you can clearly see, the shoulders have a significant amount of dimpling. This isn't an uncommon problem that I deal with that seems to be best rectified by unpadded shoulders and part of my motivation for sending in my sportcoat in the first place: I wanted to see if they had the ability to manufacture outside of their standard cut or whether it would be more a matter of fitting my measurements to it. It seems I got the latter. While it may be theoretically possible to correct it, I have yet to find a tailor that can do it well such that I’ve had to resign myself to the reality that a coat that doesn’t fit well in the shoulders right off the bat is highly unlikely to ever be fixed so that it does.

- The colour: when choosing the fabric, they sent me three photos of fabrics that they thought were close to what I had described which was a lighter navy. It may not really show it in the photos, but the fabric I got has a purple tinge to it; so that it looks more blue-indigo to my eye. As such, the first thing I thought of when I opened the box was that it looked kind of purple (my fiancee’s comment echoed that sentiment when I first showed her as well) and I can’t help but feel like I’m wearing a purple suit when I put it on.

So, all in all, this suit is a miss for me. I can’t really complain since it’s basically a free suit and I’m only out the costs of shipping my suit although, to be honest, I wouldn’t be too happy if I actually had to pay for the suit itself. Also, to be fair, they did offer to remake the suit, in another fabric; however, I would have to send in the suit and sportcoat again for them to see what went wrong. And, seeing as how it cost me almost $90 to ship my sportcoat off the first time, I just can’t justify spending about $180 on, what was originally to be, a free suit. So, in the end, I’ve moved on to my original plan and have purchased a suit from SuitSupply, which I have now received and am pretty happy with.

That being said, I think the mechanics are in place for a good, online MTM company and they do have the potential to really make their mark. They do have some pretty stiff competition in the suit/sportcoat department though; so if they do really want to make some hay, especially with SF members, I think that there are some areas that they will still need to learn and improve, which, from what I’m seeing, it, appears like they are at least making an effort towards

Cliff, 

 

Alex and I would like to thank you for your honest review, and we will take your valuable advice and bear that in mind as we continue to evolve how we do our online business. 

 

I'm sorry there were fine details such as the quarters that you didnt like. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding when you asked me to copy your sportcoat, which I interpreted as copy the measurements as opposed to the style. A more opened quarters is something that clients can request with us if that is something they prefer. As for the color and fit, I openly admit that the shoulders were a bit wide on this suit and we would be more than happy as I mentioned earlier to redo the suit in a fabric that is more suitable to your liking as well as cover the costs of shipping that you would incur to send the items back to us, so in essence your only cost for this would be the initial $90 you spent. I know you've already bought your suit from Suit Supply but we do believe in delivering something excellent and feel as the main winner of our competition we still owe you that much. 

 

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review and to highlight the good and bad points. 

 

-Chris

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Moda Republic - Official Affiliate Thread