^ My concern with this is the quality of the leather and whether anybody knowledgeable will be able to inspect what goes to C&J and determine that it is of suitable quality. I'd also be concerned that C&J will disclaim responsibility for any defects having to do with quality of the leather. Sorry, this is the lawyer in me worrying out loud.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread Last post on 12/6/16 at 12:28pm in Classic Menswear
- Major Drop in $..Crockett and Jones Burnham 2 10.5US Last post on 7/10/14 at 3:34am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:49 am in Classic Menswear
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Crockett & Jones MTO Central - Page 65post #962 of 60502/14/14 at 1:59pmThread Starterpost #963 of 60502/14/14 at 2:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by DpprDr
I guess there is a shell, but not zug shortage. Although I have lots of love for Horween, I am also concerned about the shipping costs to get it across the pond. Leather quality is something I have no real experience with (besides, "oh, that's nice") and hopefully someone can provide information about weight and thickness.
A & A Crack zug is Horween. Are we checking with Horween directly in case buying direct from Horween and shipping to C&J is cheaper than buying from down the street at A & A Crack and paying whatever markup they have?post #964 of 60502/14/14 at 2:05pmQuote:
I think it makes sense to compare and since we don't know if either has limited quantity of zug, it would be good to have multiple options.post #965 of 60502/14/14 at 2:09pmQuote:
That makes sense. Could be Horween has additional colors as well?
I wonder if Horween sells individual pieces of zug and other leather. I've always wanted to do a personal project.post #966 of 60502/14/14 at 3:16pmQuote:
Judging from the price quoted by the local merchants, I'd be very surprised if having it sent from the States would work out cheaper.
As for concerns over the quality of the leather, it's an embossed, thick, waxy leather designed to take an absolute shoeing (with apologies!) and it's not going to be fine leather in any stretch of the imagination. I know the fella who manages C&J's MTO programme takes a lot of pride in what he does and I'm sure he would refuse to work with sub-standard materials because the end product would reflect badly on him...post #967 of 60502/14/14 at 3:57pmpost #968 of 60502/14/14 at 3:59pmpost #969 of 60502/14/14 at 5:29pmpost #970 of 60502/14/14 at 5:40pmpost #971 of 60502/14/14 at 11:42pm
Eagerly following the development here, especially since EG has decided not to work with other leathers than those that have been tested by their quality department.
Anyway, my two cents on the A. A. Crack vs. Horweens supply: To Horweens prices there's shipping to add, and maybe even taxes. A. A. Crack are located in Northampton, so they might save a bit on the shipping and just walk across the road with the zug (OK, having never been to Northampton I don't know how big the city is, but still…)
Good luck with it all!post #972 of 60502/15/14 at 3:56ampost #973 of 60502/16/14 at 12:13pm
Off the record, I have a feeling that it will be an uphill battle to get any kinda variation in the boot specs past the higher echelons of the company, but watch this space as I'm positioning it as being of massive PR value to the company...
To keep this thread going, below are two pairs of WW2 Lotus veldtschoen boots (the forerunner of the Snowdon and EG's Galway model) in zug leather that's in pretty good condition after 70ish years...this is the old Martin's zug, from the tannery with whom C&J did business back in the day.
Indestructible stuff. Forget shell, this is what you need for boots that are to really stand the test of time.
Note the full bellows tongue to make the boots capable of holding out water at a greater depth than a half-bellows tongue as now used instead.
The top pair are the boots I reach for first when conditions are truly atrocious. They're still on the original soles and were originally worn by a Czech officer fighting with the British Empire forces in WW2.post #974 of 60502/16/14 at 12:19pmpost #975 of 60502/16/14 at 12:26pmReturn Home
- Crockett & Jones MTO Central
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 14 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 32 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...