^ My concern with this is the quality of the leather and whether anybody knowledgeable will be able to inspect what goes to C&J and determine that it is of suitable quality. I'd also be concerned that C&J will disclaim responsibility for any defects having to do with quality of the leather. Sorry, this is the lawyer in me worrying out loud.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:32 pm in Classic Menswear
- Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread Last post on 1/25/16 at 4:17am in Classic Menswear
- Major Drop in $..Crockett and Jones Burnham 2 10.5US Last post on 7/10/14 at 3:34am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:53 am in Classic Menswear
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Crockett & Jones MTO Central - Page 65post #962 of 35002/14/14 at 1:59pmThread Starterpost #963 of 35002/14/14 at 2:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by DpprDr
I guess there is a shell, but not zug shortage. Although I have lots of love for Horween, I am also concerned about the shipping costs to get it across the pond. Leather quality is something I have no real experience with (besides, "oh, that's nice") and hopefully someone can provide information about weight and thickness.
A & A Crack zug is Horween. Are we checking with Horween directly in case buying direct from Horween and shipping to C&J is cheaper than buying from down the street at A & A Crack and paying whatever markup they have?post #964 of 35002/14/14 at 2:05pmQuote:
I think it makes sense to compare and since we don't know if either has limited quantity of zug, it would be good to have multiple options.post #965 of 35002/14/14 at 2:09pmQuote:
That makes sense. Could be Horween has additional colors as well?
I wonder if Horween sells individual pieces of zug and other leather. I've always wanted to do a personal project.post #966 of 35002/14/14 at 3:16pmQuote:
Judging from the price quoted by the local merchants, I'd be very surprised if having it sent from the States would work out cheaper.
As for concerns over the quality of the leather, it's an embossed, thick, waxy leather designed to take an absolute shoeing (with apologies!) and it's not going to be fine leather in any stretch of the imagination. I know the fella who manages C&J's MTO programme takes a lot of pride in what he does and I'm sure he would refuse to work with sub-standard materials because the end product would reflect badly on him...post #967 of 35002/14/14 at 3:57pmpost #968 of 35002/14/14 at 3:59pmpost #969 of 35002/14/14 at 5:29pmpost #970 of 35002/14/14 at 5:40pmpost #971 of 35002/14/14 at 11:42pm
Eagerly following the development here, especially since EG has decided not to work with other leathers than those that have been tested by their quality department.
Anyway, my two cents on the A. A. Crack vs. Horweens supply: To Horweens prices there's shipping to add, and maybe even taxes. A. A. Crack are located in Northampton, so they might save a bit on the shipping and just walk across the road with the zug (OK, having never been to Northampton I don't know how big the city is, but still…)
Good luck with it all!post #972 of 35002/15/14 at 3:56ampost #973 of 35002/16/14 at 12:13pm
Off the record, I have a feeling that it will be an uphill battle to get any kinda variation in the boot specs past the higher echelons of the company, but watch this space as I'm positioning it as being of massive PR value to the company...
To keep this thread going, below are two pairs of WW2 Lotus veldtschoen boots (the forerunner of the Snowdon and EG's Galway model) in zug leather that's in pretty good condition after 70ish years...this is the old Martin's zug, from the tannery with whom C&J did business back in the day.
Indestructible stuff. Forget shell, this is what you need for boots that are to really stand the test of time.
Note the full bellows tongue to make the boots capable of holding out water at a greater depth than a half-bellows tongue as now used instead.
The top pair are the boots I reach for first when conditions are truly atrocious. They're still on the original soles and were originally worn by a Czech officer fighting with the British Empire forces in WW2.post #974 of 35002/16/14 at 12:19pmpost #975 of 35002/16/14 at 12:26pmReturn Home
- Crockett & Jones MTO Central
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › GG MEGATHREAD!!!!! UK9.5E/US10D!!!!! 4 minutes ago
- › ALDEN ALT WEIN (Antique Edge) 9.5D 4 minutes ago
- › Ring Jacket Balloon Wool Size 38 4 minutes ago
- › ARC'TERYX VEILANCE F13 MIONN INSULATION HOODED VEST 4 minutes ago
- › Vass Melton Antique cognac - New Peter last size 43 - Brand new in box 4 minutes ago
- › Vass chukka medium brown suede - F last size 43 - Brand new 4 minutes ago
- › Beautiful Vass Old English II on the new SP last! Size 42. Brand... 4 minutes ago
- › Fantastic Vass black crocodile wholecuts. Size 43.5 U last 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Plain Toe Blucher size 8.5D on Barrie / BNIB 4 minutes ago
- › NWT Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Grey Burgundy... 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...