or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones MTO Central
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crockett & Jones MTO Central - Page 59

post #871 of 2037
If we can get zug leather, I'm in!
Edited by DpprDr - 2/11/14 at 7:17am
post #872 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post
 

+1

+1. I would likely be in if it isn't for a bit. I need to let my funds recover from the whiskey harlech before I can go in on this one.

post #873 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post
 

^ Those are awesome boots and I might be in on an MTO depending on the leather that's chosen.


Same here.

post #874 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I think zag or brown scotch grain like the Islay would be boss

I'm already making enquiries about zug as I'm planning an mto later this year in zug with a commando sole.

They have zug swatches but have asked the manager of my local C&J shop to confirm current availability albeit for one pair.

The Islay leather isn't sturdy enough for proper heavy use, in my opinion, and I own boots made of both...
post #875 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

I'm already making enquiries about zug as I'm planning an mto later this year in zug with a commando sole.

They have zug swatches but have asked the manager of my local C&J shop to confirm current availability albeit for one pair.

The Islay leather isn't sturdy enough for proper heavy use, in my opinion, and I own boots made of both...

Zug, veldt, and commando...now if they could do the tripple stitch on the toe to make a faux cap like EG. biggrin.gif

If the have zug, count me in.
Edited by DpprDr - 2/11/14 at 9:17am
post #876 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

Zug, veldt, and commando...no if they could do the tripple stitch on the toe to make a faux cap like EG. biggrin.gif

If the have zug, count me in.

That is pretty much the boot I had in mind.

I've just spoken to my local shop and asked them to find out what stocks of zug are available and some guidance on minimum order needed to avoid paying the MTO surcharge.

Watch this space.
post #877 of 2037
Right, it's six pairs minimum and the factory will check to see if they have any stock renaming. They used to use zug for both the Snowdon and the Veldt model derby shoe so fingers crossed they have enough left for half a dozen pairs of boots...
post #878 of 2037

I really would prefer this to be plain toe Snowdon model and not try and mimic the EG. 

post #879 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

Right, it's six pairs minimum and the factory will check to see if they have any stock renaming. They used to use zug for both the Snowdon and the Veldt model derby shoe so fingers crossed they have enough left for half a dozen pairs of boots...

Thank you for checking this. Can you offer some sizing info on 228 last in respect to other C&J last you have or any other lasts from SF "approved" shoemakers?
post #880 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

Thank you for checking this. Can you offer some sizing info on 228 last in respect to other C&J last you have or any other lasts from SF "approved" shoemakers?

I go TTS in 228 as with 325 and 365 and EG 64 E.

The 228 is one of their older lasts. Those MTO Snowdon boots in rough-out I posted in here a few days ago are on the 228.
post #881 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

That is pretty much the boot I had in mind.
I've just spoken to my local shop and asked them to find out what stocks of zug are available and some guidance on minimum order needed to avoid paying the MTO surcharge.
Watch this space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

Right, it's six pairs minimum and the factory will check to see if they have any stock renaming. They used to use zug for both the Snowdon and the Veldt model derby shoe so fingers crossed they have enough left for half a dozen pairs of boots...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I really would prefer this to be plain toe Snowdon model and not try and mimic the EG. 
CTB, thanks for looking into this and I hope there is enough. I find the cost of C&J to be more appropriate than EG; the latter I associate with the cost of smart shoes.

Plain toe works for me too...just a fantasy with the faux stitch. Here we go MTO, here we go!
post #882 of 2037
Not that helpful but I thought I post this anyways.
post #883 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post




CTB, thanks for looking into this and I hope there is enough. I find the cost of C&J to be more appropriate than EG; the latter I associate with the cost of smart shoes.

Plain toe works for me too...just a fantasy with the faux stitch. Here we go MTO, here we go!

 

I don't mind co-ordinating this if they have enough zug as I was already making plans for a similar boot.

 

Just to clarify the stitched toe cap - these kind of boots have the mock toe more often than not, historically. EG weren't the first to use it, they (and others) followed on from the classic Lotus veldtschoen boot (see below). In fact, the Snowdon is unusual for not having the stitched toe and I would prefer to have it in place to make the boot more 'classic'. C&J's earlier veldt shoes and boots had it, so it won't be a problem.

 

Below are the Snowdons I ordered at about the same time as the Harlech order went in; they took a lot less time to come as I had them for mid-December.

 

 

And this is what the 70-year-old zug on a WW2 Lotus veldt boot (with mock toe) looks like in rain when treated with Obenauf's to further boost its water resistance...you won't get country grain or the like holding up like this:

 

post #884 of 2037
To my eyes stitched cap toe looks more beautiful. If we can get it I would go for it.
post #885 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

I don't mind co-ordinating this if they have enough zug as I was already making plans for a similar boot.

Just to clarify the stitched toe cap - these kind of boots have the mock toe more often than not, historically. EG weren't the first to use it, they (and others) followed on from the classic Lotus veldtschoen boot (see below). In fact, the Snowdon is unusual for not having the stitched toe and I would prefer to have it in place to make the boot more 'classic'. C&J's earlier veldt shoes and boots had it, so it won't be a problem. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Below are the Snowdons I ordered at about the same time as the Harlech order went in; they took a lot less time to come as I had them for mid-December.




And this is what the 70-year-old zug on a WW2 Lotus veldt boot (with mock toe) looks like in rain when treated with Obenauf's to further boost its water resistance...you won't get country grain or the like holding up like this:



If I had a choice I would definitely go with the mock cap. I think it provides a nice break from a round toe. It will also set it apart from other Snowdons. I'm for sure in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

Not that helpful but I thought I post this anyways. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm so down for a white pebble! crackup[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones MTO Central