or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 582

post #8716 of 39182
Impoly :

Have you consider the Blancpain flyback chronograph? To be honest, that watch completely caught me off guard. It's insanely nice in person and the finishing is top notch. Also looks great on a bracelet or strap. But right now, I'm really focus on saving up for a Lange 1. Also the watch is 40mm and not too thick unlike like most modern sports watch these day.
Retail price is a bit over your budget. However, BP has a really terrible resell value. So you can pick maybe one up for around 6-8k.

not my pic
700
700

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160588471431?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
^ More pictures with the strap.
post #8717 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post


I've thought about the Explorer I many times; the older smaller versions were going for like $2000 in Japan up until a year or so ago. ffffuuuu.gif Got really close to buying one several times recently. I like them I guess, I wear a Sinn 356 daily and I like SS sports watches on bracelets, white on black dials, etc. The only thing is, it'd be a nice daily, but I don't know for how long, and not much more to me.

I like the GO Panomatics, my only qualm is that they're a recent revival brand really, so in that sense, while being aesthetically nice and more elegant than a Panerai et al, they have only as much brand value, and I worry the make may not have as much longevity (if I plan to live another 30 years and have this watch strapped to my wrist in my coffin, or leave it to my kid or something) - pretty sure I won't have any desire to wear a Panerai in 5-10 years. I'd really like one now, but at that cost it's not feasible as a trendy watch for me.
I think to a lesser extent, even IWC may fare similarly. They have a lot of designs, but none of them that are current are particularly steeped in history or timeless and of a ubiquitious design like a Rolex is - and I don't even really like Rolexes, TBH.

I'd really like a VC Patrimony, a Lange Saxonia 40mm, a bigger JLC Master, a Calatrava, something like that - just not in the budget for a gold watch to give myself just yet though.

Well, consider that Lange is far more of a revival brand than GO is. Currently, the Calatrava will have the best resale value. VC's have really bad resale value.... JLC's fare a bit better. Please note that I am speaking of new watches, pre-owned is a whole different world.
post #8718 of 39182
That watch.... doesn't suit me. I don't know why, but it's just very busy and what I want to call 'pimp'-y? It's a nice watch and I want a Fifty Fathoms badly (though this may be a bad choice for me, as I said we tried them on, I have tiny Asian man wrists, and the first thing I could think of was 'rich HK guy') - but something about buying really expensive sports watches (ie >$5K to me) doesn't do it for me. I think of sports watches, and think of the classics, most are like $2-3-4K at the most, street price, sometimes used.
post #8719 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

Impoly :

Have you consider the Blancpain flyback chronograph? To be honest, that watch completely caught me off guard. It's insanely nice in person and the finishing is top notch. Also looks great on a bracelet or strap. But right now, I'm really focus on saving up for a Lange 1. Also the watch is 40mm and not too thick unlike like most modern sports watch these day.
Retail price is a bit over your budget. However, BP has a really terrible resell value. So you can pick maybe one up for around 6-8k.

not my pic
700
700

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160588471431?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
^ More pictures with the strap.

This is a great suggestion. One caveat however, don't do crazy sports with the watch: the F. Piguet movements are fine for everyday, but they don't tend to fare too well with extreme sports (Fifty Fathoms line not withstanding, those things are made for sports).
post #8720 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

...However, BP has a really terrible resell value. ...

Why would you say that?
post #8721 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

my daily...GMT IIc...(and harvey)
0aec56ed.jpg
.

Nice selection, Derek and Harvey's pretty cool, too.
post #8722 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonneker View Post


Why would you say that?

Because they do compared to equivalent brands...?
post #8723 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post


Because they do compared to equivalent brands...?

I realize that that was probably his thinking, but my question was more directed at how he got to that thinking. So let me put it to you: is that just your impression? Any other source? Frankly, I don't see them much coming onto the vintage market and if they do, I don't see a steeper discount than, say, JLC or AP.
post #8724 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post


Because they do compared to equivalent brands...?

I realize that that was probably his thinking, but my question was more directed at how he got to that thinking. So let me put it to you: is that just your impression? Any other source? Frankly, I don't see them much coming onto the vintage market and if they do, I don't see a steeper discount than, say, JLC or AP.
post #8725 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmyles View Post

I got married a few weeks ago (Aug 20th) and my wife was nice enough to get me this

[IMAGE]DSC_0249[/IMAGE]

Beautiful, what model PAM is that?
post #8726 of 39182
IMG_4113.jpg
post #8727 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonneker View Post


I realize that that was probably his thinking, but my question was more directed at how he got to that thinking. So let me put it to you: is that just your impression? Any other source? Frankly, I don't see them much coming onto the vintage market and if they do, I don't see a steeper discount than, say, JLC or AP.

Fuck, I just wrote a whole reply, and I hit the wrong button and it got deleted. ffffuuuu.gif

Ok, if you look at what the auction houses and pre-owned dealers are selling watches for compared to retail (to say nothing of arguing price with the dealer and getting a discount), you will see that BP's (and VC's for example) fare less well when it comes to resale value than PP' or AP's. I am comparing from the simplest ultra thin watch to the most expensive super complication.
post #8728 of 39182

jhcam8 lovely 5513.  i need a bezel like that to replace my service one.

post #8729 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post


Fuck, I just wrote a whole reply, and I hit the wrong button and it got deleted. ffffuuuu.gif

Ok, if you look at what the auction houses and pre-owned dealers are selling watches for compared to retail (to say nothing of arguing price with the dealer and getting a discount), you will see that BP's (and VC's for example) fare less well when it comes to resale value than PP' or AP's. I am comparing from the simplest ultra thin watch to the most expensive super complication.

Hate it when that happens...

Interesting observation; thanks. I should have actually not mentioned AP; just don't follow them that closely.
post #8730 of 39182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Drew, check out post #2 in this thread smile.gif

Vbuskirk, looks great. But are they genuine 232 hands or aftermarket? How could you get OEM parts like this given how tightly OP controls its repair shops and parts?

They don't make it easy do they? These were OEM sold out the back door from a dealer never to be named off of a serviced 232. (The minute hand has some scratches on it.)




My contribution for the day:
110908-3.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread